Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speeding ticket question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday at 10pm returning home from a Super Charger and was getting both verbally and physically harassed randomly by some guys (late 20s to 30s) in a newer Camaro RS. They threw stuff at my vehicle, one even exited at a stop light to confront me. I was able to maneuver away but because their car was so fast it made it impossible to lose them. Long story short I was coming over an incline and at the bottom of it were 2 police SUVs pulled to the side. I was boxed in from moving to the left and went by doing approx. 67, only to see the Camaro take a sharp left which led to another highway entrance. I slowed down and veered towards the breakdown lane only to get pulled over. I was shaken to say the least.

I was eventually mailed a citation for doing 80 in a 55 (speeding 90/17) and fined for not moving over for a parked police vehicle (89/7A). My question or advice is: my car is actually speed locked at 70mph, I've never bothered to disable it because I work remote and only travel locally and was part of the reason I couldn't lose the Camaro). The ticket states it was "estimated" and being a Step 9 driver with an immaculate record (only second ticket in almost 35 years) I want to know if you guys think not only should I fight it (speeding 90/17 is more serious than 90/18 I've found btw) but spend the money to hire an attorney with more experience arguing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Msicario
Forty-one year retired copper here (20 NYPD, 20 Cape Cod dept). Plead no contest with an explanation. You were fleeing from a dangerous confrontational situation. Just calmly explain the predicament you were dealing with to the magistrate.

Edit: Hiring an attorney who specializes in dealing with such violations can do wonders...
Thank you for your service! My father-in-law was a retired Boston police officer, and the one piece of advice he had given me was: "Always comply, and never argue as they've heard it all. If you receive a citation that you disagree with, you can contest it in a court of law...that's what makes this country great!"

did you happen to save the videos that would show them throwing items at your car and chasing you ?
No, my cell phone stays in my glove compartment when I drive and I still haven't figured out dashcam stuff tbh. I literally just drive it occasionally, I've never even tried my FSD or engaged EAP. This all happened in a matter of minutes yet seemed like forever, I've never once been in any type of road rage situation. This is why I thought that a lawyer may be better prepared to defend me.

If you hire an attorney he may be able to get it reduced to a parking ticket through the mail without you having to go to court etc.
I have a traffic attorney who used to be a local prosecutor and he handles any citations I may get.
An attorney will talk to the prosecutor, explain your case then say "So how's Beverly"
Fine thanks for asking, we'll make this a parking ticket.

Last edited:
Hopefully there isn't a next time but honking the horn will tell your computer to save the video. There's a chance you still have it depending on how much driving since then. A tag number or a cop recognizing the guys or car could get them off the road for a while.

Taking a defensive driving course might nullify the points on your license.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Hopefully there isn't a next time but honking the horn will tell your computer to save the video. There's a chance you still have it depending on how much driving since then. A tag number or a cop recognizing the guys or car could get them off the road for a while.

You can only get points removed with a driving course after you get convicted usually up to 4 points but you can do a 4 hour driving course online.

You need to specifically set the option to save a video on honking, it's not enabled by default.

I also learned the hard way that even a no points ticket can cause your insurance premium to more than double.

Just pay the ticket.. who has time to deal with this BS, or if you have the time go file a police report for assault and bring it to court with you. Give them all the details, if you have even more time retrace the route and look for cameras on businesses etc.. then get the video from the owners. Believe it or not this last one worked for me and I was able to show video footage to the police and they later to tracked down the AHOLE who stole my son's friends backpack. The cops called him on his cell and asked if he found a backpack when he filled up at the gas station where he clearly was seen carrying it back to his truck. I told the cops if he admitted taking it, just bring it back and I wouldn't file charges. If he lied then I would press charges.

[SIMILAR MATTER FILED IN PREVIOUS SESSION
SEE HOUSE, NO. 1574 OF 2021-2022.]

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

An Act relative to throwing objects at motor vehicles.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

Section 104 of chapter 159 of the General Laws:

Section 104: Throwing or shooting missiles​

Section 104. Whoever wilfully throws or shoots a missile at a locomotive engine, or railroad or railway car or train, or at a motor bus or trackless trolley vehicle, or at a school bus, or at a person on such engine, car, train, motor bus or trackless trolley vehicle, or school bus, or in any way assaults or interferes with a conductor, engineer, brakeman, motorman or operator while in the performance of his duty on or near such engine, car, train, motor bus or trackless trolley vehicle, or school bus, shall be punished by a fine of not more than one thousand dollars or by imprisonment for not more than one year, or both. A person so offending may be arrested without a warrant by an officer authorized to serve criminal process, or by any railroad, railway or railway express police officer, and kept in custody in jail or other convenient place not more than twenty-four hours, Sundays and legal holidays excepted, at or before the expiration of which time he shall be taken before a proper court or magistrate and proceeded against according to law. If such person commits such offense in the presence of such officer and refuses to state his name and address at the request of such officer, he may be arrested by him without a warrant.

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert
I still haven't figured out dashcam stuff
At a minimum ensure you have a USB stick inserted. Use the menu to format it and then it's a automagic.

You need to specifically set the option to save a video on honking, it's not enabled by default.
Set this option. Remember to honk the horn if you want to save anything. Otherwise it's only going to capture the last hour of driving. Cheap insurance, easy to do, one-time setup.

I had an experience years ago in a Cincinnati traffic court where having an experienced attorney proved to make all the difference. That said, the representation cost me 600, so decide what you think it's worth.
My insurance went up $2500 a year with a no points ticket (for who knows how long)... so probably well worth the attorney fees in hindsight.

Reactions: dn325ci
Why, which state and insurance co? Proper traffic school certificates delete the DMV record, so there should be nothing that shows up in their periodic checks.
Pennsylvania, we don't have an option for traffic school. I was under the impression at the time that a no points ticket would have minimal impact on my insurance rates so I just paid the hundred bucks and moved on with my life.

I'm with Amica. I did shop around after the rate hike, but all the quotes I was getting elsewhere were about the same or higher.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Forty-one year retired copper here (20 NYPD, 20 Cape Cod dept). Plead no contest with an explanation. You were fleeing from a dangerous confrontational situation. Just calmly explain the predicament you were dealing with to the magistrate.

Edit: Hiring an attorney who specializes in dealing with such violations can do wonders...

Even better would be to bring the video that your car recorded of the incident. You did save that, right?