Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speeding ticket question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last Friday at 10pm returning home from a Super Charger and was getting both verbally and physically harassed randomly by some guys (late 20s to 30s) in a newer Camaro RS. They threw stuff at my vehicle, one even exited at a stop light to confront me. I was able to maneuver away but because their car was so fast it made it impossible to lose them. Long story short I was coming over an incline and at the bottom of it were 2 police SUVs pulled to the side. I was boxed in from moving to the left and went by doing approx. 67, only to see the Camaro take a sharp left which led to another highway entrance. I slowed down and veered towards the breakdown lane only to get pulled over. I was shaken to say the least.

I was eventually mailed a citation for doing 80 in a 55 (speeding 90/17) and fined for not moving over for a parked police vehicle (89/7A). My question or advice is: my car is actually speed locked at 70mph, I've never bothered to disable it because I work remote and only travel locally and was part of the reason I couldn't lose the Camaro). The ticket states it was "estimated" and being a Step 9 driver with an immaculate record (only second ticket in almost 35 years) I want to know if you guys think not only should I fight it (speeding 90/17 is more serious than 90/18 I've found btw) but spend the money to hire an attorney with more experience arguing this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
My advice is to mark the ticket not guilty and wait until the magistrate calls you. Usually, they'll give you a break even if the officer had not. Sometimes, the break could be just a 5 mphs over the speed limit instead of listed speed.

However, I'm not sure what you marked on your citation. If you mark as "guilty", then, I just suggest you just get an attorney. They'll reverse the verdict. And, can sometimes get the charges dropped.

In many jurisdiction, if you marked the ticket as not guilty, and the officer said they tracked you without a radar, chances are, the magistrate will give you a call and dismiss the ticket. If not, they'll just bring the fine down to probably 5 mph over the limit so the court can make some money. It's really the burden of proof that the police officer needs to show up at a summons if you contested the ticket. If he can't prove it, judge will dismiss the ticket. But, before trial, the magistrate will either dismiss it or bring the charges down.

Reactions: Skavatar
I'm not arguing that point, the police were well off of the shoulder and I hugged the middle line as I approached. My question was more so arguing the 'estimated' speed they wrote me up for which would more directly affect my insurance.

Well better than nothing.
Some posts say MA doesn't use points but you can take a defensive driving course for insurance
Then this post says
In MA you can take steps to reduce points on your Massachusetts driving record. One way is by taking a state-approved Driver Retraining Course. Completing this course can remove up to two points from your record. However, you can only take this course once every five years for point reduction

My advice is to mark the ticket not guilty and wait until the magistrate calls you. Usually, they'll give you a break even if the officer had not. Sometimes, the break could be just a 5 mphs over the speed limit instead of listed speed.

However, I'm not sure what you marked on your citation. If you mark as "guilty", then, I just suggest you just get an attorney. They'll reverse the verdict. And, can sometimes get the charges dropped.

In many jurisdiction, if you marked the ticket as not guilty, and the officer said they tracked you without a radar, chances are, the magistrate will give you a call and dismiss the ticket. If not, they'll just bring the fine down to probably 5 mph over the limit so the court can make some money. It's really the burden of proof that the police officer needs to show up at a summons if you contested the ticket. If he can't prove it, judge will dismiss the ticket. But, before trial, the magistrate will either dismiss it or bring the charges down.
Thank you, I've yet to do anything with the ticket as i have 21 days. I just wanted to get some feedback from others maybe in this situation at some point if getting a lawyer is overkill. Thank you for your advice!

Thank you, I've yet to do anything with the ticket as i have 21 days. I just wanted to get some feedback from others maybe in this situation at some point if getting a lawyer is overkill. Thank you for your advice!
If it's a Radar ticket you can ask for proof that the unit has been certified recently and is accurate.
If they fail to produce said documentation the judge can dismiss the ticket.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
A lawyer can do things you would never be able to do.
It all depends on the culture in your area.
In 2019 I got a ticket for 107 in a 65 and he got it reduced to 2 parking tickets for 400.00 and charged me 500.00

MA looks like a tough state for traffic tickets. A local lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets, knows the prosecutor and has worked with him/her before may be able to get the charges dismissed by pointing out OPs 35 year clean driving record, good character and the unusual circumstances that led up to the unfortunate event.
The lawyer may also be able to get OPs case in front of the most sympathetic prosecutor and judge as well that won't involve bringing in the LEOs
for testimony.
Plus should it actually come to a court date the lawyer will do all the talking unless the judge directly asks OP a question.
The lawyer can say the OP is very sorry and this kind of thing will never happen again.
An internet search will provide a list of lawyers that specialize in traffic tickets and some even advertise on radio and TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmaster
MA looks like a tough state for traffic tickets. A local lawyer who specializes in traffic tickets, knows the prosecutor and has worked with him/her before may be able to get the charges dismissed by pointing out OPs 35 year clean driving record, good character and the unusual circumstances that led up to the unfortunate event.
The lawyer may also be able to get OPs case in front of the most sympathetic prosecutor and judge as well that won't involve bringing in the LEOs
for testimony.
Plus should it actually come to a court date the lawyer will do all the talking unless the judge directly asks OP a question.
The lawyer can say the OP is very sorry and this kind of thing will never happen again.
An internet search will provide a list of lawyers that specialize in traffic tickets and some even advertise on radio and TV.
In cases like the OP, the state usually will just him/her go easy. They don't like bringing productive member of society to discipline them. It's a waste of the court's time and the OP.

The court is already inundated with cases. Going after a good member of society usually is a waste of their time. I've seen a lot of cases just get dropped or charges reduce significantly.

In cases like the OP, the state usually will just him/her go easy. They don't like bringing productive member of society to discipline them. It's a waste of the court's time and the OP.

The court is already inundated with cases. Going after a good member of society usually is a waste of their time. I've seen a lot of cases just get dropped or charges reduce significantly.
OP could ask the lawyer if being a good citizen and making a donation to the Police Benevolent fund or the Police Widows and Orphan's fund would help his case.