Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Don't get a ticket with Tesla Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all my other policies in the past and present, including with Mercury, they allow you one ticket on your record in 2 or 3 years without penalty.

Not the case with Tesla Insurance!

Had been paying $155 per month, which was much cheaper than Mercury offered. But, got my first ticket in 8 years, for 10 MPH over the speed limit no less, out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Was getting passed like I was sitting still. Somehow, the CHP picked me to pull over.

Didn't think much of it based on all my other policies allowing one ticket before changing your rates.

Got the renewal for Tesla and they jacked it up over 50%! No accidents ever (knock on wood). They now want $230 per month.

Seems awfully excessive for someone with no accidents, no insurance claims and one ticket in 8 years. They'll be losing me as a customer no doubt.

Figured I'd share the warning for others. I didn't bother with traffic school since I didn't think it would matter based on the other policies allowing one per 2-3 year period. Guess I'll check back in 3 years if I still have the car.

Speak with your wallet and leave them high and dry. You can do better for less.
That's what I'll be doing. Especially after the minimum wage operator who answered my call decided to chastise me over getting one ticket in 8 years! Was rude about it and indicating their ZERO tolerance policy. Called Mercury, they'll insure it for $190 per month, so will still cost more, but about half the increase Tesla wants to charge me. I would have understood a modest increase, but over 50% for one ticket, seems pretty excessive.

This is where I wish humans would actually review these things. Apparently I'm a higher risk driver with one ticket in 8 years and no claims in 30 years than someone who had 4 accidents and claims in the past 3-8 years! Plus with Tesla, they can track your every movement to determine if you're a dangerous driver. Maybe they should use that to determine their rates instead?

Reactions: cwerdna

I've always pled "not guilty" and accepted the plea deals (typically parking violations, sometimes driving school).

I'm not sure I've ever actually had a traffic violation on my record. That site just connects you with a local lawyer (and adds another middle man $$$). The lawyer is just going to accept a plea on your behalf, that's what they always do for others when I've gone to court.

This is kinda nuts to be complaining about.

Tesla's apparently offering lower rates by more aggressively basing premiums on actual risk. Yes, having a speeding ticket on your record increases your statistical risk to the insurer. I'm sure they assume this is actually your second ticket in 18 months as essentially everyone eligible to attend traffic school in California and avoid the license points and insurance reporting does so (you can attend once every 18 months).

As you point out, Mercury "forgives" a ticket but charges you more up front for the privilege. Either way, you pay.

Lesson learned - NEVER skip the "get out of jail free" traffic school option in California which keeps the points off your record. Costs like $50 and less than an hour of your time to do it online.

I said, I would understand some hike in rate, but 50% seems excessive. I'm the opposite. I prefer to save my traffic school for the second ticket, if I get one. Could be for something more serious than 10 MPH over the speed limit in the middle of nowhere.

And Mercury is WAY cheaper on all of my other cars. They've just always had a thing against Tesla's and charge high rates.

Is what it is. Mercury gets the car back now for at least a couple of years.

I prefer to save my traffic school for the second ticket, if I get one.
Where I am you can't go to traffic school if you have had a ticket, or gone to traffic school, in the last three years. So, you either use it on your first ticket, or you don't use it at all. (And some jurisdictions in the area don't offer traffic school at all.)

Last edited:
With all my other policies in the past and present, including with Mercury, they allow you one ticket on your record in 2 or 3 years without penalty.

Not the case with Tesla Insurance!

Had been paying $155 per month, which was much cheaper than Mercury offered. But, got my first ticket in 8 years, for 10 MPH over the speed limit no less, out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. Was getting passed like I was sitting still. Somehow, the CHP picked me to pull over.

Didn't think much of it based on all my other policies allowing one ticket before changing your rates.

Got the renewal for Tesla and they jacked it up over 50%! No accidents ever (knock on wood). They now want $230 per month.

Seems awfully excessive for someone with no accidents, no insurance claims and one ticket in 8 years. They'll be losing me as a customer no doubt.

Figured I'd share the warning for others. I didn't bother with traffic school since I didn't think it would matter based on the other policies allowing one per 2-3 year period. Guess I'll check back in 3 years if I still have the car.
Wait so you paid the ticket and didn't bother with traffic school? Wow. Learn from that mistake.

Step 1: Go back in time...
It still may be possible to erase the point I forget all the details but if you paid the ticket I think it's 60 days.

Traffic school in California is so easy, can be online, and definitely cheaper than carrying the point. No matter this forgiveness BS insurance says, a point will factor in at some point, even if it's slightly on policy renewal.

Auto insurance has gone through the roof lately, even home owners insurance is off the hook. The whole industry has gotten out of control.
Difficult / impossible to repair cars that often end up as total losses, climate change driving ever more expensive natural disasters…

The insurance industry charges what it needs to to be a viable business. Claim costs are through the roof so it doesn’t take a lot to understand why premiums are skyrocketing too…