Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Insurance Recommendations for 2024 Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I just wanted to ask for some insurance recommendations for Tesla Model 3's in QLD (Brisbane).

I haven't really looked around too much for insurance but I've just completed a quote with Youi and the price is ridiculously high so was wondering if you guys have any ideas or recommendations. So I know I'm pretty young which will mean there will be a premium for the insurance but last year when I did the quote it was around $3000~$4000/year... Just then I completed the quote on the phone and got a $6,138/yr quote with $1,050 excess. Some information I am 23 but I don't get my opens till June this year (which is when the car will be picked up and when the insurance will be applied). No accidents, no claims, no demerits nothing. I was thinking of putting my mother as the main driver and just adding me to the policy which should reduce it slightly but I feel like just looking at other insurance companies might be better. Do you guys have any recommendations for any other insruance companies that will be good for tesla model 3s?

Thanks.

Hello, I just wanted to ask for some insurance recommendations for Tesla Model 3's in QLD (Brisbane).

I haven't really looked around too much for insurance but I've just completed a quote with Youi and the price is ridiculously high so was wondering if you guys have any ideas or recommendations. So I know I'm pretty young which will mean there will be a premium for the insurance but last year when I did the quote it was around $3000~$4000/year... Just then I completed the quote on the phone and got a $6,138/yr quote with $1,050 excess. Some information I am 23 but I don't get my opens till June this year (which is when the car will be picked up and when the insurance will be applied). No accidents, no claims, no demerits nothing. I was thinking of putting my mother as the main driver and just adding me to the policy which should reduce it slightly but I feel like just looking at other insurance companies might be better. Do you guys have any recommendations for any other insruance companies that will be good for tesla model 3s?

Thanks.
I doubt making your mum the main driver will help. She would have to won the car and you become a nominated driver

NRMA and Allianz ended up with the cheapest quotes for me for the highland, with both under $2k for a 35 year old male on the sunshine coast. This included windscreen replacement and hire car options with ~$1k excess. Rollin' insurance was not far off that.
Youi was around $2.5k and Buget Direct, Virgin Money and ING were all over $4k.

Under 25/30, EV and location will result in higher premiums.

Good luck!

If it's significantly cheaper (ie. a couple of thousand) you could insure it as your mum with NRMA or another insurer that any person can drive.

You will cop significant excess during an at fault accident. ie. normal excess, age excess, un-nominated driver excess .. but if you put the extra money you would have spent on the policy in a separate bank account and just have it sitting there .. it may pay off in a year or two (or pay off the extra excess during a claim).

* Not financial advice

I found Shannons to be the cheapest for my scenario. Everyone else wants like 4K to insure a tesla. AAMI was the second best, followed by RACV(No NRMA in VIC)

Edit: But if you have to make a claim or follow up on one, be prepared to hold the line for about an hour. One of my co-workers had to hold for over 50 minutes to follow up on something. But then again, that's many insurance companies.

If it's significantly cheaper (ie. a couple of thousand) you could insure it as your mum with NRMA or another insurer that any person can drive.

You will cop significant excess during an at fault accident. ie. normal excess, age excess, un-nominated driver excess .. but if you put the extra money you would have spent on the policy in a separate bank account and just have it sitting there .. it may pay off in a year or two (or pay off the extra excess during a claim).

* Not financial advice
This is most likely what I'll be doing. Most my mates insure their cars this way given their cars have much lower insurance prices to begin with. Most insurances I'm getting quotes for are roughly $4.5k and Youi being the highest right now at $6.3k. If my mum insures the car the quotes are all roughly $1.6~1.9k ish and a lot of them has an age excess of between 1.2~1.6k. So including the excess of say 850 that'd be like $2000~$2400 excess. So if I do get into an accident yes my excess is higher but I wouldn't need to pay $4~6k every year and only $1.5k.

Reactions: OzVic