Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's 2014 Volvo has the same things, speed limit sign recognition and lane departure warning, powered by MobileEye.

There's a sensor box attached to the windshield below the rear view mirror. Same area where I mounted a dashcam in my Model S.

Judging from hers, I don't see a need to replace either the windshield or rear view mirror. There isn't a hole in the glass for the camera. It just looks through the glass.

Does your wife's 2014 Volvo also have forward collision warning?

I've wondered if having the parking sensors would allow ACC to become more of a software upgrade. No engineering knowledge but wondered if range of the sensor was somehow adjustable by the software.

Aren't parking sensors only low speed devices? Maybe with the camera they can do this but I always thought ACC had either radar or laser to track the car in front.

My own guess (uneducated at that) is that the big block to the upgrade would be the existing wiring harnesses do not have the wires to be able to retro the windshield. Yes, of course, with effort or $$ the wiring could be added, but takes it from a relatively easy job an SC would do to a job they won't want to do without charging a lot for (understandably)

My .02

My own guess (uneducated at that) is that the big block to the upgrade would be the existing wiring harnesses do not have the wires to be able to retro the windshield. Yes, of course, with effort or $$ the wiring could be added, but takes it from a relatively easy job an SC would do to a job they won't want to do without charging a lot for (understandably)

My .02
There have been posts in other parts of the forum that noted the return of the 12V power harness in the mic area behind the mirror. I speculated at the time that it was probably to support a camera, and it looks like that was probably accurate.

Pretty sure my car lacks all the harnesses, so I'm sure this would be a huge retrofit cost for me. Sucks.

There have been posts in other parts of the forum that noted the return of the 12V power harness in the mic area behind the mirror. I speculated at the time that it was probably to support a camera, and it looks like that was probably accurate.

Pretty sure my car lacks all the harnesses, so I'm sure this would be a huge retrofit cost for me. Sucks.
While they will probably charge a lot for the upgrade, it's actually pretty easy to run power up to the mirror area. I did it for my dash cam. It would take less than 1/2 hour for someone who knew what they were doing. No cutting, or anything is needed.

While they will probably charge a lot for the upgrade, it's actually pretty easy to run power up to the mirror area. I did it for my dash cam. It would take less than 1/2 hour for someone who knew what they were doing. No cutting, or anything is needed.
There needs to be some kind of data connection up there, not just power. I suspect the newly-returned connector is power and data for the camera.

Regarding cost, hope you're right. This option was something I wished Model S had in the beginning, and would consider retrofitting assuming the cost isn't enormous.

I'm taking delivery of a new car just off the line today -- what should I check for on the windshield to see if new cars support retrofitting the driver assist cameras?
1) Check the windshield for cutouts around the mirror (parts where the black paint is missing). You could probably just take a picture and we can compare to our cars
2) Take off the microphone grill (don't worry, it's easy and pops right back on) to see if there's a loose connector in there.

We don't know exactly where the camera will be mounted, so 1) probably won't tell us anything definitively unless you have a new camera-size cutout with no camera. They could put it on the mirror mount itself, in which case old windshields might be fine. No way to know yet.

Aren't parking sensors only low speed devices? Maybe with the camera they can do this but I always thought ACC had either radar or laser to track the car in front.

Our ACC on the Avalon has a laser system. The parking sensors give a warning of cross traffic when backing up. The warnings have been triggered by cars moving into the backup area 100 yards away.

Just wondering....

The aftermarket Lane departure warning and collision alert with installation costs about $1000- $1300.

So will Tesla charge $1500 for after market installation if they can add the hardware?

Will that be reasonable cost?

My bet is that it needs a new harness for the Camera as well as a new harness and steering wheel for the lane departure. I suspect $2k in parts and $1.5K in installation, if they even retrofit it.

I picked up my S85 this weekend but don't have anything to compare it to. Is this device in the black area a sensor for detection?
20140916_133858.jpg
20140916_115523.jpg

My bet is that it needs a new harness for the Camera as well as a new harness and steering wheel for the lane departure. I suspect $2k in parts and $1.5K in installation, if they even retrofit it.

Why would you need a new steering wheel? MobilEye, which is the company providing this technology to Tesla, already sells an aftermarket product that does all of the same things and does not require a new steering wheel. This product does not steer for you or perform any actions on your vehicle, it simply provides an alert.

Why would you need a new steering wheel? MobilEye, which is the company providing this technology to Tesla, already sells an aftermarket product that does all of the same things and does not require a new steering wheel. This product does not steer for you or perform any actions on your vehicle, it simply provides an alert.
The text from brianman says there is a haptic response from the steering wheel when the car drifts out of lane. There will be some sort of retrofit for that, if not a completely new steering wheel.