Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was looking at my windshield this morning and I think it's definitely going to require a new one for this feature to make a hole for the camera. That means $1400 for new windshield + (I'm guessing) $500 for a new mirror + $500 for camera + labor. Maybe $2500 - $3000 for a retrofit?

Good point. That would make it more expensive. I'm sure people have had to get windshields replaced due to rock damage. Anyone know the price of a new windshield?
Had mine replaced couple of months ago. Cost approx. $1,600. Glad insurance, after a little bit of haggling, covered all of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Could it be integration of Mobileye? They list Tesla as a partner amongst many other auto manufacturers.

Yeah, but I don't think that will be necessary. The Mobileye C2-270, for example, retrofits to almost any windshield -- perhaps the warning is just to make sure the camera is placed in the proper location by people who know what they're doing.

Mobileye is designed to be an aftermarket installation. I think a factory feature like this will require the replacement of the windshield to make a hole for the camera in that black area that is behind the mirror today. Something like this:

Lane_Assist.jpg

My wife's 2014 Volvo has the same things, speed limit sign recognition and lane departure warning, powered by MobileEye.

Road_sign_detection_1.jpg

There's a sensor box attached to the windshield below the rear view mirror. Same area where I mounted a dashcam in my Model S.

Judging from hers, I don't see a need to replace either the windshield or rear view mirror. There isn't a hole in the glass for the camera. It just looks through the glass.

Honestly, I wouldn't pay a dollar for either item (well, maybe a dollar). It's nice they're introducing them, and happy to see different options available so people can opt in or out.

Of note is that Navigon already has speed limit data in its database, it's just not implemented on the Model S.

Even if a windshield replacement is necessary, I would not mind too much.

Mine is already pitted pretty badly (mostly from a sand storm on the way to Joshua Tree, which really made me glad I did XPel), so I need to replace it at some point anyway...

Once the camera is there, they can add other features later like pedestrian alert, etc.