Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been talking about risk factors and I am curious about the earthquake risks at the Fremont factory. Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to comment on steps taken by Tesla to reduce potential earthquake damage? I suspect the east bay is not as bad off as the west side of the bay, due to the location of the San Adreas Fault, but I'd like to learn more.

Wondering what Ginger and MaryAnn would think about this worrysome topic

We've been talking about risk factors and I am curious about the earthquake risks at the Fremont factory. Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to comment on steps taken by Tesla to reduce potential earthquake damage? I suspect the east bay is not as bad off as the west side of the bay, due to the location of the San Adreas Fault, but I'd like to learn more.

Wondering what Ginger and MaryAnn would think about this worrysome topic

I will find the link when I have some time, but I examined the USGS soil maps of Fremont and compared them to the location of the Tesla Factory. I believe that the factory is built on a section of land that is less susceptible to earthquake damage.

We've been talking about risk factors and I am curious about the earthquake risks at the Fremont factory. Is anyone here knowledgeable enough to comment on steps taken by Tesla to reduce potential earthquake damage? I suspect the east bay is not as bad off as the west side of the bay, due to the location of the San Andreas Fault, but I'd like to learn more.

The San Andreas Fault specifically isn't the primary risk factor. The Hayward Fault is a parallel fault which runs along the base of the East Bay hills a mile or two east of the Fremont factory. According the the USGS, there is a 31% chance of an earthquake of magnitude 6.7 or greater on the Hayward Fault in the next 30 years. There is a 21% chance of such an earthquake on the San Andreas Fault. Basically everything in the Bay Area is designed for the eventuality of a major earthquake. When you see news reports of major earthquakes, they show what received major damage but not the 99% of buildings which are basically fine. In the event of a major earthquake, the factory might be expected to have superficial damage like broken glass etc. There is a good chance of extended power outage ( downtown San Francisco lost power for 3 days after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake) and they would probably have to inspect factory facilities, check robot alignment before ramping back up to full production.

as to Falcon wing doors. added complexity, yes. just for sizzle like the door handles, no. Tesla has repeatedly said the very practical reason for the falcon wing doors, to allow markedly better access to back rows, including the ability to stand up in the back of the car. I've not had to deal with putting kids in their car seats, but apparently it's a pain in most vehicles. the Falcon wing doors have a functional purpose. it's also worth mentioning, that they are designed to actually lesson the amount of space you need on either side of the car to get in and out. IIRC, if you can get your body between your car and the one parked beside you that is sufficient room for the doors to open.

Yes, standing to put kids into the car seats will be awesome...my wife doesn't care much about new technology and cool cars like me but when she saw that she told me to put our deposit down on the X. I think there will be a lot of moms getting the X solely because of that...it is a real pain to be putting 1 or 2 kids in car seats over and over...it is something moms have just accepted as part of driving with kids and as a result many moms won't drive places with kids as much as they otherwise would because of this obstacle...especially pregnant moms...but I think this simple change the falcon doors allow for will be revolutionary for housewives who otherwise are buying other very expensive SUVs.

safety of Model X will also be huge...what dad wants their wife and kids to drive in anything but the safest SUV out there? Not me...as much as I love my S, I actually make my wife use the S during the week instead of our SUV because of the safety concern. I can't wait for the X.

I came home from Palm Sunday at my little church today, and I was reading about all the crap going down in the Ukraine and getting bummed out. Then I thought, man I hope Tesla changes the world so that oil money and the (often evil) men behind it are no longer able to hold the world hostage and cause so much suffering. I mean I know that's not the sole cause of human suffering but it has been at the root of an outsized share of it in the last century.

Then I checked out this video and kind of felt better.

I hope TSLA does well, but today I remembered that much more than that, I hope Tesla Motors does well. For us all.

I came home from Palm Sunday at my little church today, and I was reading about all the crap going down in the Ukraine and getting bummed out. Then I thought, man I hope Tesla changes the world so that oil money and the (often evil) men behind it are no longer able to hold the world hostage and cause so much suffering. I mean I know that's not the sole cause of human suffering but it has been at the root of an outsized share of it in the last century.

Then I checked out this video and kind of felt better.

I hope TSLA does well, but today I remembered that much more than that, I hope Tesla Motors does well. For us all.

wow that video was amazing

Anyone thinking of buying options for next week when the first deliveries in China are scheduled? It seems like that would be a good time for Tesla to issue guidance ahead of earnings. Not so many rumors floating around though but even now might not be a bad time to gamble on a turn-around next week.

This price drop is bordering on ridiculous now. It feels like when we got to 120 back in November where it just didn't make any sense anymore. I'm hoping that this is the true bottom now that we have touched the old resistance point of 194.

The $194 was where I certainly think we would get our strongest resistance. If it drops below that...who knows. Bought some shares at 197. My LEAPS are really hurting. But I am hopeful they will have time to rebound.

The $194 was where I certainly think we would get our strongest resistance. If it drops below that...who knows. Bought some shares at 197. My LEAPS are really hurting. But I am hopeful they will have time to rebound.
Yea, my entire TSLA portfolio is in TSLA deep OTM Jan 2015. Without a rebound in the next few months, the reverse Tsunami of hurt will wash me away. There's certainly time the way TSLA seems to bounce, but it's unnerving.

Loading up options (and rolled up from really deep ITM) the last weeks. Bought jan16 200 Call for $50, and jan16 300 Call for $23 today, I think this is cheap. Buying more if it keeps going down. I'm buying at my new margin account now. However I'm not quite sure I understand how the margin at IB is working. I have used 49k at margin, and still have 60k to use according to my account summary, and a buying power of 400k...???? But my hole account at IB is only worth $390 today, mostly TSLA and some solar. I'm thinking of liquidating my STL (oil shares) in Norway, but I'm waiting for the dividend to be paid out. Do any of you know if I may transfer my STL shares from Oslo Børs to IB, for better covering up my margin accout, without selling any TSLA, if Putin starts the world warIII?

Loading up options (and rolled up from really deep ITM) the last weeks. Bought jan16 200 Call for $50, and jan16 300 Call for $23 today, I think this is cheap. Buying more if it keeps going down. I'm buying at my new margin account now. However I'm not quite sure I understand how the margin at IB is working. I have used 49k at margin, and still have 60k to use according to my account summary, and a buying power of 400k...???? But my hole account at IB is only worth $390 today, mostly TSLA and some solar. I'm thinking of liquidating my STL (oil shares) in Norway, but I'm waiting for the dividend to be paid out. Do any of you know if I may transfer my STL shares from Oslo Børs to IB, for better covering up my margin accout, without selling any TSLA, if Putin starts the world warIII?
My sun hat is off to you, brave soul.
There is facility in IB to do ACAT, that is share transfer from other broker to IB. It is under account management. It is easy to use. IB is easy to work with but some other brokers make it more difficult to move shares around. It might be that your other broker does not do ACAT, that happened to me with one of my accounts, so that transfer took some phone calls and emails as the broker was dragging their feet not letting me go.