Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, when should I start thinking I've got a lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every state has different laws- once you pass the limit or have been back three times - even for different things - and been in the shop more than 15 calendar days - FILE THE LEMON LAW CLAIM. The reason why is that most auto manufacturers will claim [lamely] that you are waiving defects by not timely filing a claim.

I cannot urge people enough to file the claim once you have sufficient data. The problem though is that Model X quality is so iffy it seems, that you may get other issues. Lots of good cars - I'm not anti-anybody - but there are quality issues that the company needs to address and sending you a check for $110k is not what they want to do - and if they do it enough times it might spur them into action.

Money talks . ...

But here is the problem - is Tesla a dealer? Are any of the warranty items specified in the law present and failing in the Tesla? That could be a nice little defense the company has - of course- by angering the powers that be they could lose the right to sell cars if they hide behind the 'we're not a dealer' curtain.

• Love
Reactions: idleuser
Last edited:
I have a very similar issue. After updated about 10/13/17, steering assist and park assist fail. Has been in SC for 4 days waiting for engineers in Fremont. Guess I m lucky to have this place to vent. Bought our X about same time too. Owned about 3 weeks. Am pretty disappointed. We loved it but I would not recommend this experience to a friend. The staff is polite, we have a loaner, but what about software could take so long?
If you had the same thing I did, it’s a random rare firmware issue, and they will reset the car and it should be fine until the fix arrives shortly. They had mine for a week researching it and probably verifying that it’s not a known one-off issue. It’s now supposed to be fixed in 17.42, which was released last night.

Mine did this ten days ago, I got it back Thursday. I suspect it took so long to diagnose because it’s a new issue and is connected to firmware that needed to be located and tested.

They should have had instructions now to reset the car and give it back, as I was told a small number of cars have experienced this and the schedule for the fix (17.42) and that there wasn’t anything we could do to prevent it in the meantime.

I bought a 2016 Inventory Model X last year. It had a few problems that had it in the shop for weeks at a time. I could not off load that thing quick enough. I waited until Tesla fixed most of the issues. Then sold it. I do miss it and the new owner loves of but I doubt I will buy one again. Tesla service and quality just seems to be getting worse.

Annoying FWD
Tires throwing rocks at the body of the car
Seal issues
Windshield issues
Uncomfortable seats, front and back
Sensor issues

All things things and more for a $100K car = not worth it.

Last edited:
Exact same issue - I was going start a new thread but somehow could not. So here goes:

Got the car the afternoon of Friday, September 22, 2016. I used it for 4 weeks without any significant issues (other than homelink not working and charge cord not opening charge port – that mobile service said was a firmware/software issue that is being resolved; not so far though it has been 4 weeks now); and actually liked it – I was going to post on various forums that the bad issues stated may have been unfounded.

Yesterday I drove it around out of town and back; also charged it and all was well till I went to a friend’s place. While leaving around 10:15 pm as I approached the car, it unlocked and I got in. When I tried to open the driver side FWD it alarmed saying it cannot open as it needed calibration. I then tried to open the passenger side FWD – seemed it moved a bit and then alarmed similarly, but did not open. I had an older guest and had her sit in the front passenger seat while my wife had to crawl into the trunk (no other option to get into the car).

As I put the car into drive, it said it needed service; then it alarmed saying that steering assistance was reduced. I could not move the steering wheel at all; I could move the car forward and back a bit. Since I could not steer at all I had no option than to abandon the car and get a ride back home when I called Tesla.

The was EXTREMELY embarrassing; about 30 friends around, I have a car that cost 6-digits and within 4 weeks it is un-drivable! I have had 5 Lexus cars prior to this (3 currently ranging in age from 3 to 12 years) – NEVER any problem with any of them other than oil changes, brakes, tires, and batteries – normal were & tear. Now I spend this money and get a car that totally fails in 4 weeks!

Yesterday I read on forums that Consumer Reports has rated the Model X THE LEAST RELIABLE of all cars on the market – I was going to write back and completely dispute that; however, after this experience I COMPLETELY agree – the MX is VERY unreliable and possibly not fit or ready to be sold. (I know I may be venting but I am quite upset).

Called Tesla last night; all they said is they will have a ranger look at it on Monday. In the meantime they will have the car delivered to my house today and get me a rental car (that is not available till 8 tonight). (I have spent all morning on just this resolution)

(I now wonder if there is any way I can return the car; I am truly upset and feel I have been conned into a car unworthy of being on the roads at this stage in development; though I will say I loved it till last night. I believe I know the answer to this; hence I feel I was conned into a terrible deal).

Any suggestion would be appreciated; but please do not shoot me down for complaining (I am just stating facts).

Exact same issue - I was going start a new thread but somehow could not. So here goes:

Got the car the afternoon of Friday, September 22, 2016. I used it for 4 weeks without any significant issues (other than homelink not working and charge cord not opening charge port – that mobile service said was a firmware/software issue that is being resolved; not so far though it has been 4 weeks now); and actually liked it – I was going to post on various forums that the bad issues stated may have been unfounded.

Yesterday I drove it around out of town and back; also charged it and all was well till I went to a friend’s place. While leaving around 10:15 pm as I approached the car, it unlocked and I got in. When I tried to open the driver side FWD it alarmed saying it cannot open as it needed calibration. I then tried to open the passenger side FWD – seemed it moved a bit and then alarmed similarly, but did not open. I had an older guest and had her sit in the front passenger seat while my wife had to crawl into the trunk (no other option to get into the car).

As I put the car into drive, it said it needed service; then it alarmed saying that steering assistance was reduced. I could not move the steering wheel at all; I could move the car forward and back a bit. Since I could not steer at all I had no option than to abandon the car and get a ride back home when I called Tesla.

The was EXTREMELY embarrassing; about 30 friends around, I have a car that cost 6-digits and within 4 weeks it is un-drivable! I have had 5 Lexus cars prior to this (3 currently ranging in age from 3 to 12 years) – NEVER any problem with any of them other than oil changes, brakes, tires, and batteries – normal were & tear. Now I spend this money and get a car that totally fails in 4 weeks!

Yesterday I read on forums that Consumer Reports has rated the Model X THE LEAST RELIABLE of all cars on the market – I was going to write back and completely dispute that; however, after this experience I COMPLETELY agree – the MX is VERY unreliable and possibly not fit or ready to be sold. (I know I may be venting but I am quite upset).

Called Tesla last night; all they said is they will have a ranger look at it on Monday. In the meantime they will have the car delivered to my house today and get me a rental car (that is not available till 8 tonight). (I have spent all morning on just this resolution)

(I now wonder if there is any way I can return the car; I am truly upset and feel I have been conned into a car unworthy of being on the roads at this stage in development; though I will say I loved it till last night. I believe I know the answer to this; hence I feel I was conned into a terrible deal).

Any suggestion would be appreciated; but please do not shoot me down for complaining (I am just stating facts).

It appears the issues you are having are similar to recent deliveries due to the latest firmware update. It seems Tesla didn't test the firmware on the new builds prior to releasing the firmware...I totally agree that the QA needs to be improved. But the issues you are facing is a software issue so I am assuming that is something they will resolve ASAP.

I posted this in another thread by accident. But here you go:

We just had this error too.

Car needs service: Steering Assist Reduced.
Park assist unavailable.

The FWDs also did not open, even with override.

I tried resetting both computers, with and without the brake. The car had an update ready and I tried to do it after getting home, but it failed.

BTW, we took delivery on 10/19. I could barely drive the car home, but drove it the mile or so I was away from home to get out of a deadzone. Tesla said initially that I should take it to the Service Center on Monday. I told them car was essentially unusable because getting in and out of parking or maneuvering was not possible or really safe. They are working on either getting a FW patch out to me or a car to use in the meantime.

Tesla tries to help me by promising me a loaner rental car (they do say they will try and get me a Model S on Monday); I call Enterprise and they have none available. Tesla then calls a different location and confirms an Uber ride at 7 this evening as the rental place closes at 8. I cut short a get-together (was to be til 10 pm) and return at 6:50 - NO Uber! At 7:54 Tesla says they will try and get another Uber (to take me to the Airport location, a half hour away, when the rental place closes in 6 minutes). TERRIBLE/HORRRIBLE Tesla customer service so far!

I hope they get me the Model S tomorrow or Monday; so far I am quite disgusted.

Reactions: 1 person
They still don't know how to build the X correctly. Their workforce is overstressed and overstretched.

Word of mouth is going to tank the reputation of the company. And yeah, I had to go to a service center for my newish X a few days ago too.

QC is crap in these vehicles. Glitchy software makes it worse. This week - my screen straight up crapped out after a failed OTA and I had to learn how to reset the darn thing. Won't be surprised if power steering fails too.

Welcome to the future. Suckers!

I am now told by the SC I will not know next steps or get any loaner/rental vehicle till their offices open tomorrow; over 60 hours after my issue and I am without any transportation Tesla can offer! Wow, I did NOT expect this from Elon Musk's company

The Parking Assist/Steering Assist issue along with FWD failing is what I had almost two weeks ago. They had my car for a week analyzing it and returned it reset and said the issue would be fixed in upcoming 17.42 which came out yesterday. It appears that rollout has now been halted/slowed because it caused other issues with AP2.5 cars (SAS and Steering Assist alerts that either go away or need a car restart to clear).

It does appear that there is an issue with software and the new AP2.5 cars; we can hope the upcoming release (this week, promised) would be the fix for the most recent issues.