Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I Regret a LR X Given Known Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my X Plaid with 20 inch wheels in. Staring from the back, the camber is pretty noticeable even on low. Macsboost sells a shim kit - planning on installing it myself this week. It’s just 2 plates - one on each side and seems expensive for what it is ($~262) albeit marine stainless steel but if it saves my tires and wallet from uneven wear I’ll give it a try. Instructions seem straightforward- remove arm bolts, put shim behind, reinstall bolts, then adjust for toe with a 3/4 turn of another bolt. I already have my jack and torque gauges since I usually swap out for winter tires each year on our Y and previous 3.

Reactions: Brkshlt
Looked into Rivian, but no local dealer support.
Even standard Autopilot is great - moved across the country and drove our Y with our 2 dogs while my wife and daughter flew and visited friends and family. Didn’t have fsd on the Y at the time. It drove 99% of the time on the highway. Went 5~10mph above speed limit and all I had to do is take exits and pass slower cars and navigate local to chargers or hotels.
FSD Beta in my opinion has been better since it will navigate and take exits so you don’t miss them. It’s amazing how fsd beta will negotiate its way into a lane on a highway - signal and either speed up or slow down to squeeze in. If the other car speeds up or doesn’t see you it abandons the attempt and tries again. We took advantage of the fsd transfer to upgrade our 3 to X Plaid which is now our primary road-trip car.

I just got my X Plaid with 20 inch wheels in. Staring from the back, the camber is pretty noticeable even on low. Macsboost sells a shim kit - planning on installing it myself this week. It’s just 2 plates - one on each side and seems expensive for what it is ($~262) albeit marine stainless steel but if it saves my tires and wallet from uneven wear I’ll give it a try. Instructions seem straightforward- remove arm bolts, put shim behind, reinstall bolts, then adjust for toe with a 3/4 turn of another bolt. I already have my jack and torque gauges since I usually swap out for winter tires each year on our Y and previous 3.
Its unfortunate they dont seem to plan to ever fix it. I live in an apartment (with free charging) so will have to look for a shop that is comfortable with Teslas and installing the kits. Please let me know how it works out for you afterwards

Nope, 60k warranty only applies with tires that can be rotated front front to back or your running a square set up. Read between the lines. I’ve verified this with Michelin when I had inquired for my BMW with a staggered set up. Even Michelin acknowledges its 1/2 of warranty is tires are not rotated.
Great info. Still doesn't change the fact that they designed the tire (rubber compound and initial depth) to handle 60K miles. So if my X has good suspension setup and then I'd expect 50K+.

25K so far and they all look like this.:
EV96t1d.jpg

The only non-Tesla one I have used is Rivian's, and it definitely has less issues than any of my Teslas did with AP1, 2, and FSD. At least the Rivian does not veer into the center of the lines every time a lane merges into the freeway.
Your Tesla still does that?

Mine doesn’t since the last few updates with FSD.

Great info. Still doesn't change the fact that they designed the tire (rubber compound and initial depth) to handle 60K miles. So if my X has good suspension setup and then I'd expect 50K+.

25K so far and they all look like this.:
EV96t1d.jpg
How is the ride quality, tire noise? Range loss, due to aggressive tread pattern. You can ask Michelin and they will only honor the 60k warranty if your tire were rotated for even wear.

How is the ride quality, tire noise? Range loss, due to aggressive tread pattern. You can ask Michelin and they will only honor the 60k warranty if your tire were rotated for even wear.
I've been pleasantly surprised at the efficiency but I usually run then between 45-49 psi. I can't tell the diff in ride quality and tire noise vs the OEM Conti's. Maybe because I drive on such a variety of roads. I travel thru Indiana to see relatives and their roads are all over the board as one example.

I have/had no doubt that Michelin will only honor the 60K based on rotations ... my point was the tires are designed for 60k so they have good rubber compounds and initial depts to meet that objects for normal cars that can rotate tires AND that bodes well for my/our situation.

I have an X plaid with 20” with 20k miles and can’t imagine a need for all that. I have zero problem. Tires are wearing fine. Tire cost whatever it is(don’t really pay attention) is much less than the value of my time to fuss about with all that stuff. I’ll get new tires when these wear out. If they are wearing unevenly I’ll get an alignment but no need for that so far

I have an X plaid with 20” with 20k miles and can’t imagine a need for all that. I have zero problem. Tires are wearing fine. Tire cost whatever it is(don’t really pay attention) is much less than the value of my time to fuss about with all that stuff. I’ll get new tires when these wear out. If they are wearing unevenly I’ll get an alignment but no need for that so far
ignorance is bliss?