Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X adjustable rear camber kits - anyone with UK experience, is it worth the cost/hassle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a 17 MX P100DL a few months back, and very rapidly discovered the "shudder" under acceleration issue with it. I now run the car at low suspension constantly, and this has rid me of the shudder, but I understand that this then introduces a different issue; significant rear camber that leads to excessive tyre wear on the inside, as well as worse handling.

I've read a few threads on the US/MX site for some aftermarket camber arms that allow for adjustment, but have only found these sold online in shops in the US. Also it sounds like due to the orientation of one of the nuts holding the existing arm in place that it requires the original bolt to be cut. The combo of unknown import taxes and finding a garage who are willing (and I trust) to angle grind/saw off a bolt are making me wonder if it's worth the cost/bother, or if I just put up with the issue?

Has anyone in the UK gone to the effort to fix this problem. If so, how big a job was it and did you notice an improvement? Any recommendations between the below offerings:

Macboost: MACSBOOST Tesla S X Camber arm set - MACSBOOST.com
Hardrace: Rear Camber Kit Tesla Model S/X Hardrace Q0601
N2itive: N2itive SX-2 Rear Camber Arms - Fixes Tesla X/S Crazy Rear Tire Wear!

For info, I plan on keeping the MX for some years/miles; I ran my previous 85D MS for 6 years/130k miles and will probably keep the MX for min 4yr/80k miles.

Thoughts/advice/insight greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

My original set of tyres on my MX lasted about 25k miles. They looked fine on the outside but were completely worn out on the inside. With the new set, I had a laser wheel alignment done at Protyre but as you point out, they can’t do anything about the camber because it is fixed. They did move all the other adjustments out of the red, to the green. There are some YouTube videos for how to fit the aftermarket adjustable camber bars. I thought about it but with the car still in warranty, I didn’t want to fiddle with it this time. I’ll see what it is like next time; I’ll be interested if all the other alignment changes made a difference.

Reactions: hooky
Did it on my model s. I could "live" with the factory camber being off, and non adjustable. Though no happy about it with the poor tire wear. However, we got T-Boned on the Illinois Tollway (Freeway). Which, actually tweaked the rear enough where the passenger side camber corrected slightly, though threw the drivers side WAY out of camber. No real way to safely fix that, so adjustable camber arms it was.
The car tracks straight better, it's got LESS tire noise, range is improved, tires run cooler, and last longer.

I'll also note, If you do it, Tesla Service will NOT touch your cars alignment in the rear due to "aftermarket parts".

Reactions: David Harvey
Has anyone in the UK gone to the effort to fix this problem. If so, how big a job was it and did you notice an improvement? Any recommendations between the below offerings:

Macboost: MACSBOOST Tesla S X Camber arm set - MACSBOOST.com
Hardrace: Rear Camber Kit Tesla Model S/X Hardrace Q0601
N2itive: N2itive SX-2 Rear Camber Arms - Fixes Tesla X/S Crazy Rear Tire Wear!
I have yet to fit adjustable camber arms to my 2017 S75 but I will fit the Hardrace items just as soon as I detect uneven tyre wear. I have an S85-owning friend in Worthing who has recently fitted them himself, an easy job. On the S, there is no need to do any bolt-cutting as the fasteners are well above the HV battery. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Attachments

• 370198834_1051027963015557_331746747028411422_n.jpg
    370198834_1051027963015557_331746747028411422_n.jpg
    438 KB · Views: 38