Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - Adjustable Camber arms to reduce rear tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing tons of the camber discussion on the X. I recently picked up a 2023 X LR wondering if this issue is fixed or do I need to fork some $$ to get the n2itive kit to avoid tire wears?

I previous had Model 3P 18' and didn't realize the alignment were off and all 4 tires had inner tire wears. Lesson learned I want to make sure this family hauler is gonna be long lasting (or as long as possible).
You shouldn't need the full n2itive kit. Get the macsboost spacers to bring the camber out a bit. There is enough adjustment for toe with the factory setup.

Can you prove more information wheel s& tire size? Any spacers?
I do not have any spacers, those are not needed. These were bought used so I'm not 100% on the specifics but they are a 19" wheel 8.5 wide, I think the offset is 40. Tires are 255/55/R19 Michelin Crossclimate2 that end up with the precise outside diameter of the stock 20" wheels and tires, with a bit better sidewall protection from curb rash.

I thought 23' MX LR 20'' wheels are square setup?

For the X....

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.51.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.54.05 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.51.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 5.51.58 PM.png
    155.8 KB · Views: 38
I do not have any spacers, those are not needed. These were bought used so I'm not 100% on the specifics but they are a 19" wheel 8.5 wide, I think the offset is 40. Tires are 255/55/R19 Michelin Crossclimate2 that end up with the precise outside diameter of the stock 20" wheels and tires, with a bit better sidewall protection from curb rash.
If you check Tire Size Calculator, I wouldn't call that precise. I actually put snow tires on 17 inch steel wheels on my previous RWD sedan that were exactly (to the .1 inch) the same circumference as the 18" factory alloys, but I doubt that's always possible between rim sizes. In any case, I don't know where the X speedometer gets its reading, but you could be up to 1.2 mph faster than your speedometer at 60mph depending on the answer to that question (and what your factory setup was or what you have configured in the tire size configuration on the MCU). I suppose it's feasible that your aftermarket wheels and tires are the same size as the 19s that were offered as a snow setup for a while (I think they were just Model S 19s), and maybe the tire configurator supports that, in which case your speedometer could be factory accurate accordingly.

Ok a random question for the TMC brain trust....

I have 20" wheels on my MXP. My rear tires were toast after 20k miles. But the fronts are fine. I picked up a bolt in one of the rears so I pulled the wheels and took them into the tire shop. I had them replaced with the same tires (Latitude 3 I think?). The fronts still have a lot of wear left on them so I figured I would run them this way. I did this all the time with my Roadster - I would go through multiple rears for every front.

However, with the MXP, the traction control is going crazy. It is intervening all the time (pulsing the front brakes) on curves that I had taken tons of times before at the same speed. The only thing I can think is that the car is seeing different rotational speeds due to the fronts being partially worn compared to the rears and that is triggering the traction control.

Anyone have any thoughts? The discussion above about aftermarket wheels and tires would lead me to believe that someone may have run into this - slightly different tire sizes front/rear. Has anyone else had this happen?

I have 20" wheels on my MXP. My rear tires were toast after 20k miles. But the fronts are fine. I picked up a bolt in one of the rears so I pulled the wheels and took them into the tire shop. I had them replaced with the same tires (Latitude 3 I think?). The fronts still have a lot of wear left on them so I figured I would run them this way. I did this all the time with my Roadster - I would go through multiple rears for every front.

However, with the MXP, the traction control is going crazy. It is intervening all the time (pulsing the front brakes) on curves that I had taken tons of times before at the same speed. The only thing I can think is that the car is seeing different rotational speeds due to the fronts being partially worn compared to the rears and that is triggering the traction control.

Anyone have any thoughts? The discussion above about aftermarket wheels and tires would lead me to believe that someone may have run into this - slightly different tire sizes front/rear. Has anyone else had this happen?
That’s not the issue, bring it to a tire shop and check the wheel balance for the front set.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
That’s not the issue, bring it to a tire shop and check the wheel balance for the front set.
Thank you for the reply. It's odd that it just started when I replaced the rear tires. I drive the same routes all the time and at the same speeds. As soon as I replaced the rear tires the car started engaging traction control in corners in which it had not done so before I replaced the rear tires. The front tires never came off of the car.

The traction control shouldn't be that precise to pick up the wear differences. You've got something else going on, maybe you tossed a weight on one of the wheels or they didn't balance properly.
Hmm. Thanks. The car is smooth as silk (no vibrations) on straight and gentle curving roads. It's only when I get into a decent curve at a decent speed. For example, there is one section of a highway I take almost daily that is a decent right then left curve. For the past 2 years I have had the cruise control set at 74mph and the car has taken the curves perfectly. Now when I get into the curve it will chatter the front tires (traction control pulsing the brakes) and cruise control will disengage saying something like cruise control unavailable. I've also felt it on a cloverleaf taken at the same speeds I've always taken them.

Thank you for the reply. It's odd that it just started when I replaced the rear tires. I drive the same routes all the time and at the same speeds. As soon as I replaced the rear tires the car started engaging traction control in corners in which it had not done so before I replaced the rear tires. The front tires never came off of the car.
Definitely sounds like an issue with those rear wheels then. Check the lugs, maybe they aren't tight enough.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Where do I buy the read camber kits? I have a 2016 MX. I found these 2 options, and looking for any reviews/experience using any of them. The price difference is significant so am not sure which one is the right one and safe one.

Rear Camber Kit Tesla Model S/X Hardrace Q0601 (any reviews / experience anyone has using these?)

or

N2itive SX-2 Rear Camber Arms - Fixes Tesla X/S Crazy Rear Tire Wear!
I own a 2022 MYP and purchased my rear adjustable camber kit frim Amazon 👍🏻

I don't actually know what the tolerances for the X are, but I know AWD vehicles don't like mismatched diameters. But, since we have two motors and no center diff I think only side to side matters (if even?).

My first check would be for a damaged wheel speed sensor. But, that makes lese sense if you are only seeing traction intervene mid-corner.

I don't actually know what the tolerances for the X are, but I know AWD vehicles don't like mismatched diameters. But, since we have two motors and no center diff I think only side to side matters (if even?).

My first check would be for a damaged wheel speed sensor. But, that makes lese sense if you are only seeing traction intervene mid-corner.
The stock setup isn't square, the front-to-back diameters are off by .3" according to the specifications posted earlier. I also seem to recall more than one set of tire sizes being shipped from the factory on 20s depending on OEM tire brand in use. According to tirerack, some fronts had 255 instead of 265, which would lead to a .7" difference in diameter. Seems unlikely that tire wear would be the culprit here. If there is any chance that it is, it'd probably be worn 255s vs new 275s, but even then, why would corners make the difference for front-back diameters if they wouldn't for bad wheel speed sensors?

ETA: @strider to be sure, could you note the size of all four corners? This would be for the off chance that the front tires came off and you don't know it or one of the new rear tires is actually not the same size as the other...

ETA2: If different tire sizes across could cause it, wouldn't it only occur when turning a specific direction? Is that the case? If that could happen, couldn't a bad speed sensor potentially cause the same issue?

With my BMW that also had negative camber thus suffered from high inside tire wear the tire shop would remove the tire and flip the inside to outside. They were ok doing this as the tires we non-directional. But when I asked about doing this on my MX with 22" they said no as the stock tires are directional.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
With my BMW that also had negative camber thus suffered from high inside tire wear the tire shop would remove the tire and flip the inside to outside. They were ok doing this as the tires we non-directional. But when I asked about doing this on my MX with 22" they said no as the stock tires are directional.

Ignoring tire size, you can flip a directional (symmetrical) tire, it just changes which side of the car you can use the tire on. Asymmetrical tires can be used on any corner of the car without remounting.

They are directional in sense that the tire actually says indie of rim & outside wall. The tires are not directional. So you cannot swap by removing of the rim and place on another rim for even wear. Personally it’s not work the hassle at this point. The 22’s get more significant wear on the inside vs the 20’s. The look of the 22’s look fantastic on the X if you drive locally and don’t care for tire wear. Someone like me to often take road trips, maximize the tire life and ride quality is key factors..