Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Short-term pricing-

While I am as uncomfortable as most other members over the current market prices, I have kept a significant amount of powder in reserve since late September.

Looking just at the correction since the Tues morning highs, TSLA is presently down about 7.5% and SCTY 9.2%. I am not hugely comfortable in diluting my handsome $16.96 SCTY average cost, but the merger, if effected, is just a week away and there remains a fairly attractive arbitrage - buying SCTY now equates to picking up TSLA at $174.36.

So, what does SCTY's recent high equate to? Those who bought at $21.02 were locking in TSLA at $191.09. TSLA right now is at $182.15, so that carb didn't work out well - they're looking at a loss of 4.7%. That is acceptable as part of a hedge...if heading occurred, and it certainly beats makes positions in TSLA, but it still is a significant paper loss over a period of two days.

- to be continued -
What is your strategy until your "all in?"

During his election campaign Mr. Trump had threatened to take action against electronics firms that primarily manufacture in China. This is leading to a huge selloff in high technology mutual funds. TSLA is included in many of these funds. As investors cash their fund shares, the fund managers are forced to sell the constituent stocks including TSLA.

As this fund selling runs its course, astute investors should come to realize that Tesla manufactures in America. That could lead to a significant rebound initiated by those who buy shares of individual companies rather than mutual funds.

Last edited:
During his election campaign Mr. Trump had threatened to take action against electronics firms that primarily manufacture in China. This is leading to a huge selloff in high technology ETFs and to a lesser degree the QQQ. TSLA is included in many of these ETFs. As investors sell their shares in those ETFs, the fund managers are forced to sell the constituent stocks including TSLA.

As this fund selling runs its course, astute investors should come to realize that Tesla manufactures in America. That could lead to a significant rebound initiated by those who buy shares of individual companies rather than ETFs.

Interesting theory. List of all 44 ETF's holding Tesla:

ETFs Containing TSLA

The first one, GEX, is actually up...2.3%

the will of the people is sacred and must be honored even if it is different from ours. Trump is our president now and he deserves full respect and cooperation for the next 4 years.

But the majority of people's will was not for him...
He probably lost by over a million votes. In any other large democracy in the world he would have lost. The way a democracy is supposed to work is that the person with the most votes should win. People should be out in the streets protesting the fact that his election doesn't reflect the will of the majority of the people.

Even if he had won that doesn't mean that he has a mandate to dismantle the EPA or the right to trumple the rights of minorities.

The assets made possible by any of these policy changes WILL become stranded assets as green energy becomes the cheapest way to produce energy (refer to Elon's vision of electricity becoming practically free, or at least cheaper the transport cost). This will only speed up the demise of gas, coal and oil companies.
That the exact opposite of a carbon tax which would speed the transition. It will definitely slow the process.
Ladies and gentlemen Trump hasn't even taken office and we have off the chart FUD here. This feels like a SA forum. Relax!

No Ego is bigger than Trumps and this should assure you he isn't going to kill off any particular industry like solar/wind (the future) to hurt his ambitious US economy growth targets. Mark my words. He is one smart manipulating man. Oh right you guys wouldn't know this cuz all you heard was the mass dishonest media FUD.
He's a sick and unbalanced person who should be investigated and tried for sexual assault. We don't know what he'll do but it's clearly (EPA) not starting out well. What about the media not covering the fact that his wife was an illegal immigrant? Could be a dictionary example of hypocrisy .

Since winning the elections trump had zero tweets bashing anything. Should tell you a lot. Did ya'll catch his acceptance speech that was nothing like his previous speeches. I know the hate for him is real and goes deep but the endless FUD here is disappointing.
What does it tell you about the media coverage that Trump said that he could shoot and kill someone on the streets in NYC and nothing would happen to him.

His most consistent responce, when faced with a problem is to lie. Media FUD?! Meaning all of the coverage of the FBI email non story instead of the 12 women who claimed sexual assault?! Trump said it was locker room talk when he said he did it, then when women say he did it he says he didn't. One or the other has to be a lie.

If anyone wants to understand what a Trump presidency might mean and ugliness and corruption that got him there I highly recommend this show:
Democracy Now! Show for November 09, 2016 | Democracy Now!

Sometimes it's the smart thing to do. Use the laws on your side. Anyways it depends on which side of the coin your looking at but still doesn't mean he will be bad for Tesla.
Four to six bankruptcies is highly unethical. Instead of paying what he owes he sticks others with his bills.

Last edited:
He probably lost by over a million votes. In any other large democracy in the world he would have lost. The way a democracy is supposed to work is that the person with the most votes should win. People should be out in the streets protesting the fact that his election doesn't reflect the will of the majority of the people.

Even if he had won that doesn't mean that he has a mandate to dismantle the EPA or the right to trumple the rights of minorities.

That the exact opposite of a carbon tax which would speed the transition. It will definitely slow the process.

He's a sick and unbalanced person who should be investigated and tried for sexual assault. We don't know what he'll do but it's clearly (EPA) not starting out well. What about the media not covering the fact that his wife was an illegal immigrant? Could be a dictionary example of hypocrisy .

What does it tell you about the media coverage that Trump said that he could shoot and kill someone on the streets in NYC and nothing would happen to him.

His most consistent trait when faced with a problem is to lie. Media FUD?! Meaning all of the coverage of the FBI email non story instead of the 12 women who claimed sexual assault?! Trump said it was locker room talk when he said he did it, then when women say he did it he says he didn't. One or the other has to be a lie.

If anyone wants to understand what a Trump presidency might mean and ugliness and corruption that got him there I highly recommend this show:
Democracy Now! Show for November 09, 2016 | Democracy Now!
This isn't moral forum and I'm not condoning his behavior. What would any of that (historical) behavior hurt Tesla? Prime example of unrelated FUD.

Very tempted to buy more SCTY.

• Disagree
Reactions: gene
This isn't moral forum and I'm not condoning his behavior. What would any of that (historical) behavior hurt Tesla? Prime example of unrelated FUD.

I'm amazed at how many Tesla investors in this forum have forgotten about the political leanings of every state that bans Tesla sales, stores, and service centers. If Trump were different, then he would have railed left and right in favor of Tesla as an example of how America could become a manufacturing powerhouse once again in the world.

Not looking to get into an argument, just being realistic about the immense challenges Tesla and TSLA stock face under a Trump presidency.

You'd better think long and hard in regards to the true meaning of this. The petroleum industry receives a level of subsidy from our government that makes the renewable energy support look like pocket change. When we start recognizing the cost of war and military expenditures in the middle east, then we can see just how level a playing field we have. What about the cost of care for our injured vets? And the cost of health care related to pollution from ICE vehicle exhaust. Who pays for that? Hint; it's not Petroleum, Inc. A mountain next to a molehill is what we have here. A mountain so big we don't even see or refer to it in talks like this. How can you overlook this fact when making statements like this?

Huh? What? Did you read my post? I simply said that if Trump goes after whatever petty amount of subsidies alternatives receive, that he should go after fossil subsidies as well. Are you trying to tell me that fossils receive indirect societal subsidies that can't be quantified? OK. I hear that. They also receive direct subsidies, large ones, in multiple direct ways, including preferential tax treatments. The prospect of the elimination of those alone would be enough to cause the oil industry to start a war somewhere.

So yeah I'll stick to my original statement: Would LOVE to see all corporate welfare removed, in all its forms. And no, I do not mean to defund the VA.

Oh please. Get real. I have never seen a bigger bunch of sore losers in my life.

This thread is out of control and it's ridiculous the moderator is complacent in all this nonsense.

Tesla is THE best example of an American company that makes cars in America that are in high demand all over the world because they are innovative, clean and great to drive. That's more than any of the Detroit Three can say. What more do you want? Should make Trump think...
I don't think Trump thinks which is the problem. He does analyse a problem to see if he can make a profit off it, but that is about the extent. Unless he can personally gain from something he will just let his advisors decide what to do and looking at those we are out of luck. I never expected government to solve the problem of global climate unless they got really lucky with some government funded research. There is just too much dirty money to stop regulations and buy decisions that make no sense but more billions for billionaires. But now we have to fear that the major opponents of Tesla will have a say in deciding things and that is bad, very bad. In 10 years we may be watching how they killed the EV Part 2. The true believers can call it FUD, but the handwriting is on the wall. The only way we survive is by Musk building products so good that even with the Trump administration making laws to kill it it succeeds and makes oil and coal completely unprofitable. I continue to bet on Mr. Musk.

I don't think Trump thinks which is the problem. He does analyse a problem to see if he can make a profit off it, but that is about the extent. Unless he can personally gain from something he will just let his advisors decide what to do and looking at those we are out of luck. I never expected government to solve the problem of global climate unless they got really lucky with some government funded research. There is just too much dirty money to stop regulations and buy decisions that make no sense but more billions for billionaires. But now we have to fear that the major opponents of Tesla will have a say in deciding things and that is bad, very bad. In 10 years we may be watching how they killed the EV Part 2. The true believers can call it FUD, but the handwriting is on the wall. The only way we survive is by Musk building products so good that even with the Trump administration making laws to kill it it succeeds and makes oil and coal completely unprofitable. I continue to bet on Mr. Musk.

I think it's more probable that Trump is motivated by ego rather than personal dollar signs at this point. His ego says "I want to make America great again," and he will measure success by growth of GDP and similar measures. He wants to be seen as a success years from now. Personal enrichment falls farther down the priority list. I mean, except for Air Force One, how can he get a much nicer jet to bop around in? Yes, he will gut EPA restrictions in an effort to promote growth of oil, gas, and coal, but it is not necessary to attack clean energy in order to make money on fossil fuels in the short term. In fact, with solar and wind taking bigger and bigger chunks of the energy pie each year, there's a certain logic that says, "let's exploit America's fossil fuels now while they're still worth something." When Obama chose to promote clean energy, he took steps to scale back the U.S. fossil fuel industries, particularly coal, hoping the rest of the world would follow. Do not make the mistake that Trump will use a similar tactic of attacking clean energy. Clean energy is not the enemy, restrictive regulations are the enemy, in his way of seeing things. Ultimately, imagine a president who is focused on raising the GDP (even at the expense of the environment). With Trump, success is measured by Americans making more money, and a healthy Tesla can help achieve this goal. Policies which actively seek to harm U.S. clean energy companies work contrary to his goal of raising GDP and thereby feeding his ego.

The only way we survive is by Musk building products so good that even with the Trump administration making laws to kill it it succeeds and makes oil and coal completely unprofitable.

Oh no! A company has to create good products and not depend on government handouts to survive!
I am getting the vapors, where is my feinting couch???

You may not understand how things work in the US, but in this country the President doesn't pass legislation.

• Disagree
Reactions: Yuri_G
Would be nice if people would listen to president Obama, secretary Clinton, and president-elect Trump in their calls for unity rather than whining and being so divisive.

People whine about Tesla fud and yet are happy to spread Trump fud. How amusing.

No two famous people are as similar as Donald trump and Elon Musk. The similarities between the two is incredible, though their beliefs are the polar opposite. Also, one wants to fix the county and the other wants to fix the World.

Trump supporters - he is honest, man who invented integrity, straight talker, disrupter
Non supporters - None of the above is even remotely true. He is a lying con artist.
Trump supporters - Successful businessman, creates jobs, genius
non-supporters - Fraudster, gets rich of other people's money, games the system, tax payers etc,
Trump Supporters - disrupter, selfless person who wants to change/fix America
non-supporters - he is full of $%^&^, only enriches himself
Trump Supporters - relies on free advertising to promote their products
non-supporters - plays the media to give them unpaid air time
Trump Supporters - Genius
non-supporters - genius at defrauding others

Both have fiercely loyal supporters, who think are not gullible, but base their their beliefs on pure facts. The opposite camp thinks they are blind fanboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.