Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May also be interesting way to go more open source on battery production and allow multiple parties make cells that telsa (or anyone else) could use. Would increase supply but still leave tesla with lots of competitive advantages.

- - - Updated - - -

May also be interesting way to go more open source on battery production and allow multiple parties make cells that telsa (or anyone else) could use. Would increase supply but still leave tesla with lots of competitive advantages.

i take that back - "flat 3% royalty" instead of open source

I'd be quite surprised if this happens any time soon, especially before the X rollout. This would require new crash testing, new tooling, probably a new pack design, all while they are scrambling to get the X out, and still production constrained on the S.

I agree with it being surprising in terms of testing, tooling and design. However, I don't think it is surprising in terms of being production constrained - when only limited cells are available, it makes sense for Tesla to be looking for new versions with increased ASPs with the same number of cells.

Wow, I did not see that coming. I'm not sure, as an investor, what to think. I've never really thought patents made much sense for software intense items (and cars, particularly Tesla, qualify), but...daaamnnn, every patent?

All Our Patent Are Belong To You | Blog | Tesla Motors

All patents to become open-source, for zero revenue. (net loss if you consider the costs incurred to initiate the patents in the first place)

This is actually worrying, because he is absolutely nonchalent about letting a huge company build an IDENTICAL Model S with his patents and sell it for a lower price at mass (no R&D costs!), effectively quashing Tesla since Tesla will have no recourse with no more ownership of its intellectual property. Elon's "Electric Car World" vision will be fulfilled, but the company shareholders will effectively be burnt, unless you still think the big guns don't want a free cake.

just because you have the patents, doesn't mean you don't need R&D. Patents are public info anyways, there are still lots of techniques, formulas, and and practices are "secret".

If anything, Tesla's proprietary tech will be more secure without patents. SpaceX takes a similar approach, they hardly patent anything.

It's much harder to buy a complete Falcon 9, ship it somewhere and start reverse engineering.

Disagree with the entire patent release. I want to own a part of the next Microsoft of cars and benefit from the associated share appreciation. The world will shift to EVs whether or not the big guys are building them.

Releasing the patents needed to make SC's work with other OEMs would have made sense.

EM "Anyone who uses Tesla's patents in good faith will not face a lawsuit" If I were GM, BMW, etc I would want to know exactly what "use in good faith" means and at what cost? Tesla should extract a fair cost for use of their IP.

On second thought, so BYD builds a knock off Model S ...like a knock off Rolex...you get what you pay for and where are you going to get service? If Tesla can sell others Battery Packs and expand the SuperCharger Network with SCTY panels on every corner like gas stations....maybe EM crazy like a fox!!!

Last edited:
EM "Anyone who uses Tesla's patents in good faith will not face a lawsuit" If I were GM, BMW, etc I would want to know exactly what "use in good faith" means and at what cost? Tesla should extract a fair cost for use of their IP.

I suspect TSLA good faith will be modeled after opensource software license. Basically, you are free to use the idea/source. However, if you modify the idea/source, you must also make the update open source.

Well, long-term, this is genius. In 2.5 years, Tesla will become the world's largest L-Ion battery manufacture. If most large automakers adopt Tesla's standard (why not, the R&D is complete), these autos will need billions of L-Ion Batteries.

Tesla will become the battery supplier for millions of BEV, and in a long enough time line, making a percentage of most cars sold worldwide.

Short term, there's an even greater green/tech halo over Tesla's brand.

IMO - long term, auto dealers are SOL. An upstart brand from China will likely reverse engineer the ModelS, and can now ship the car to the US without concern of the cars getting caught at the dock due to a patent problem. They could cut a few corners, using lesser materials or maybe incorporating a 40kw battery shaving a few grand off the cost, selling it for cheaper online, foregoing the costs for Service Centers, Show Rooms, SuperChargers. Ostensively, it's the same car as a ModelS, looks similar, runs the same OS, hooks up to SuperChargers. But service will be up to the consumer.

Last edited:
All Our Patent Are Belong To You | Blog | Tesla Motors

All patents to become open-source, for zero revenue. (net loss if you consider the costs incurred to initiate the patents in the first place)

This is actually worrying, because he is absolutely nonchalent about letting a huge company build an IDENTICAL Model S with his patents and sell it for a lower price at mass (no R&D costs!), effectively quashing Tesla since Tesla will have no recourse with no more ownership of its intellectual property. Elon's "Electric Car World" vision will be fulfilled, but the company shareholders will effectively be burnt, unless you still think the big guns don't want a free cake.

That would not be "in good faith".

Basically, he's writing two letters:

(1)

Dear Other Car Manufacturers,

You're not even trying.

Yours sincerely,

Elon Musk

(2)

Dear engineers,

If you're awesome and want to do awesome things, we're hiring.

Yours sincerely,

Elon Musk

PS Did I mention we're awesome?

The large auto manufacturers where not interested in canobolizing their ICE vehicles, and I doubt they are any more interested after the release of the patents. What has changed though is, I'm sure BYD and Nissan will take them up on their offer and maybe, just maybe start building some decent electric cars... This will put even more pressure on the large auto mfrs, and eventually, they will need to play catch up. Remember, with more competitors, it actually "validates" the market, meaning you are taken more seriously, and competition is a good thing, it drives innovation and lowers prices.

...Tesla will become the battery supplier for millions of BEV, and in a long enough time line, making a percentage of most cars sold worldwide...

Not just Tesla Motors, but also Panasonic. One of the motives for making today's patent announcement may have been to inspire Panasonic to more quickly, unambiguously and aggressively partner with Tesla in the Gigafactory ventures.

For those interested there was a conference call with reporters after the blog post was posted today. Elon shared some important answers to questions:

http://www.media-server.com/m/p/6vpa5qod

I haven't listened to the entire Q & A yet, but liked what he said about "Putting in long hours for a corporation is hard, but putting in long hours for a cause is easy."

I think that's a good indication of his philosophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.