Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the last time your cell phone transported itself to another building at the end of the day?
In a word, no, but self plugin wouldn't enable the same functionality with cell phones than it would with a car - Basically an auto-valet feature.
It is more of a luxury feature but this is a luxury car.

These are true, to some extent, though so far out as to be meaningless to the short term thread.

If it's a "luxury" feature, it's also straying pretty far afield from Elon's stated goal of mass adoption. At least with the P85D, the "D" drivetrain is being reused in pursuing non-luxury market cars.

This would be particularly useful in parking situation That span multiple hours, such as a high rise condo building where a dozen Teslas share a single stall for overnight charging.
This is perhaps the most compelling use case and certainly relevant to mass adoption. That's a very long way off though. First, you've got to get a mass market car, then you've got to have it in enough hands that you need to expand your demand in those condo areas. And you've got to get whatever regulations passed to make it happen.

We're talking several years, if not decade(s) into the future.

If it's a "luxury" feature, it's also straying pretty far afield from Elon's stated goal of mass adoption.

Model S and Model X, although are paving the way for the mass adoption, are, after all "premium" vehicles. The demographic to which Model X is targeted, in particular, I am quite certain, will appreciate automatic plug-in - one less thing to remember ferrying children from school to home to (insert an activity here) practice, etc, etc...

Demographic is likely cayenne and GL450/550 customers.

That being said, for my part, I am the one responsible for making my wife's phone is charged. Auto charge is key for us hubby's whose better halves never charge their phones at nite... I'm guessing there are more of you out there..

- - - Updated - - -

In combo with anticipated auto park into garage...

These are true, to some extent, though so far out as to be meaningless to the short term thread.

If it's a "luxury" feature, it's also straying pretty far afield from Elon's stated goal of mass adoption. At least with the P85D, the "D" drivetrain is being reused in pursuing non-luxury market cars.

The relevance for the short-term thread is that the autonomous driving video will be coming from Tesla, and it will be incomplete without the charger snake. The video will show a Model S doing autonomous driving on the freeway. Then it will show a steep driveway to a house and the car will automatically raise the suspension to deal with it. The Model S driver parks in front of the house, gets out, and commands the S to put itself away. The car then self-drives to the garage (some distance away in another building), opens the garage door, parks itself within the rather snug garage, we witness the charging cord snake itself into position and charging begins, then Model S closes the garage door. Voila! The video would be incomplete without the self-charging snake, and the video will indeed influence the stock price.

The relevance for the short-term thread is that the autonomous driving video will be coming from Tesla, and it will be incomplete without the charger snake. The video will show a Model S doing autonomous driving on the freeway. Then it will show a steep driveway to a house and the car will automatically raise the suspension to deal with it. The Model S driver parks in front of the house, gets out, and commands the S to put itself away. The car then self-drives to the garage (some distance away in another building), opens the garage door, parks itself within the rather snug garage, we witness the charging cord snake itself into position and charging begins, then Model S closes the garage door. Voila! The video would be incomplete without the self-charging snake, and the video will indeed influence the stock price.

I love your vision! Looking forward to this demo.

This is perhaps the most compelling use case and certainly relevant to mass adoption. That's a very long way off though. First, you've got to get a mass market car, then you've got to have it in enough hands that you need to expand your demand in those condo areas. And you've got to get whatever regulations passed to make it happen.

We're talking several years, if not decade(s) into the future.

With Model 3 we're already talking about enough demand from condo folks that this could be extremely beneficial to lowering the infrastructure costs for that. It'll probably take time and iterations to streamline the 'solid snake' product, so there's an argument to be made about starting now.

Plus, its just freakin' cool. I'm sure the publicity and wow factor will be well worth the small R&D budget for a few full time engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.