Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe this was planned. I believe Jerome slipped, which is why Tesla had a press release 10-25 minutes after Jerome said 6,900.

Oh happy accident if they rushed this out to quash a silly 9000-unit FUD-inversion triggered by an NHTSA document.

Brings to mind the Klingon proverb: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

+1 to the longs on a most satisfying aperitif.

So what do you folks view as the most likely price action over the rest of the week? It seems to me that we could see some upgrades, margin calls and media coverage catching up on today's production/giga news that fuel a continued rise through Friday. Then again, it could come crashing down back to the 150s, especially if we see more FUD or a poor NHTSA result.

What do you all think, and are you planning further trades this week?

I'm planning on closing my open Jan18 150 calls (for a ridiculous gain) and rolling a tiny bit of the profits into Jan18 170 calls on a speculative chance of a 3 day short squeeze this week. It's going to be a tug-a-war between downward pressure from profit taking vs. panic short covering and margin calls (which tend to take 3 days to resolve).

Meanwhile, still holding on to my core stock position from two years ago. Not about to give up any of that to a desperate short. ;-)

All this is just awesome. However, I still am nervous about the NHTSA underbody strike ruling. Just came across this, gave me some hope...

Electric cars pose different risks, not more, U.S. regulator says

This is as close a hint on the outcome of NHTSA investigation as one can get. Thank you for posting this!

David Friedman who will be leading NHTSA after departure of David Strickland on January 17, thinks that electric cars "don't pose any greater risks than gasoline-fueled vehicles", and also is saying that "NHTSA has an interest in seeing electric cars gain consumer acceptance, as part of its mission is to increase average fuel economy of U.S. vehicles".

Why would he then attempt to increase safety of electric cars by mandating a recall if this will jeopardize the stated goal of increasing fuel efficiency?? Also very telling that he acknowledged that electric cars pose different risks, which is an indication that he understands that although the overall safety is as good as in gasoline cars, the certain narrowly defined accident category (i.e. undercarriage strikes) may have risks higher than those for gasoline cars.

My prediction that the decision is already made and NHTSA just polishing a summary document which would clearly lay out the case for not making any mechanical modifications to the car. I feel that there is some chance that there will be some software changes to the alarm/protection systems in the car in order to provide more precise notifications of potential fire hazard to the occupants along with faster triggering of measures that could protect the battery from the heat run-away (and that are already part of the physical design, but currently activated on a less aggressive schedule - cooling system, triggering existing fuses to isolate compromised battery module, etc.) And yes, these changes will be made via an over the air software update!

My gut feeling is that NHTSA decision will be published in one or two weeks, soon after departure of David Strickland. If short sellers do not see the writing on the wall and beat it to the exits during this week, they will definitely be forced to cover during the following weeks.

Last edited:
Oh happy accident if they rushed this out to quash a silly 9000-unit FUD-inversion triggered by an NHTSA document.

Brings to mind the Klingon proverb: Revenge is a dish best served cold.

+1 to the longs on a most satisfying aperitif.

sheldoncoldrevenge.jpg

Thanks! I made over $500 on my small, short purchase alone today, even though I missed on the big dip it was well compensated by the big $20+ pop later. So I guess that parcel of 25 shares goes into the long bin now. :) Also helped that today's dollar exchange rate was in my favor.
(Pro-tip: Buy futures in ramen noodles, any flavor - that's gonna be on my menu for a while:) (j/k)
happy dance, had good wine - cheers, good friends

And I made $311.78 on the paltry 14 shares I bought this a.m. Quite happy with the rest of my long term holdings as well.

I stand corrected. I only heard audio. I retract my statement.
No problem, I figured as much. I didn't mean to sound harsh, I was just making light of the fact it wasn't any big reveal.

Well, it was a big reveal, but very intentional.

So, let me ask this: does anyone believe Tesla met or beat 25% margins?
Seems pretty darn likely. Elon had said in the past they were focusing on margins before ramping up heavily. I doubt that changed, so the fact they made ~7000 cars in Q4 tells me the poor margin areas were addressed.

So what do you folks view as the most likely price action over the rest of the week? It seems to me that we could see some upgrades, margin calls and media coverage catching up on today's production/giga news that fuel a continued rise through Friday. Then again, it could come crashing down back to the 150s, especially if we see more FUD or a poor NHTSA result.

What do you all think, and are you planning further trades this week?

I have been waiting for this moment ever since the pullback. With the Q report so close, I picked up several more long term options this morning as the price action was rising. To be honest, I learned from my mistake of not picking up more shares when TSLA rose in the 50s, 70s, etc. I am now in a great position and in no hurry to sell as shorts are trapped and have nowhere to hide.

Let's really put this into perspective. At least 20 million shares are still short imo, we have earnings report just weeks away with even more good news coming. As a rule, you save half of your best news for CC if you are going to release anything early.... So regardless of the short term price movement, investors will come piling in as we draw nearer to CC, so why sell anything now and take the risk of Curt's rule of chasing price upwards on a few dollars gain short term? If CC was months out, I'd lock in profits and wait, but with CC weeks away, I wouldn't want to miss out if this stock goes to 180 and beyond. Too much upside IMO

First, I believe that communication from Tesla has changed substantively in the last month or two. The have become much more deliberate in terms of what news is released, directly and indirectly.

Secondly, the source of this article is autonews.com. Consider who their advertisers are. "Top executives who talked to Automotive News expressed concern that the automaker's ambitions may overreach its abilities."

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but I do respect Noam Chomsky.

For the record I am convinced that Elon Musk is making a concerted effort to refine the "Tesla Story" presentation. Tesla is getting better at PR.

Sales Driven by Superlative Safety Record and Excellent Cold Weather Performance

Very deliberate communications. I remain convinced that Tesla is getting better at PR.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan Galves — Deutsche Bank, Andrea James — Dougherty, Elaine Kwei — Jeffries. Wait for it, wait for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.