Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels exactly like the decline from the high in September. A long slow steady decline off the high. Tons of enthusiasm and people saying at every off day that it's a buying opportunity. That lasted for a couple months before it started going back up steadily.

2014 guidance has been given, the ER is over, the gigafactory reveal is over (and sort of anticlimatic). Everything is in a holding pattern.

It depends if the 20 day holds. *normal* stocks, even great ones experience occasional profit taking and retrace support levels. The 20 day MA has been historically solid for TSLA, literally the only time in its post-30's run the 20 day wasn't support was November. I agree if the 20 day doesn't hold we are in for.... something else. The overall market rolling over isn't helping either.

It depends if the 20 day holds. *normal* stocks, even great ones experience occasional profit taking and retrace support levels. The 20 day MA has been historically solid for TSLA, literally the only time in its post-30's run the 20 day wasn't support was November. I agree if the 20 day doesn't hold we are in for.... something else. The overall market rolling over isn't helping either.

well put, thank you

Did anyone else pickup on this return to the green trend line? Shows strong support, along with the 20d MA. However, we are also sitting right above the huge gap, if you are a believer in gap fill...

hQqc8OWM.png

I'm going to go out on a rather small limb here, and suggest that neither the Bloomberg article NOR Mr Musk is correct wrt the graphite brouhaha.

My mining background does not include graphite/plumbago specifically, but I know something about the material generally.

China does produce a goodly amount of the world's graphite. Of the three types of primary sources, almost all Chinese graphite occurs as a difficult-to-work fine-grained (powdery) substance and, indeed, it is easy to envision its processing as being conducive to air pollution (as an aside, probably less than an asterisk in China's air pollution problems, but that's not the issue here).

Other sources of graphite - Brazilian, for example - mine occurrences of lump or flake graphite; the processing of which is a far, far less dusty process than working the powdered form. In the United States and in Japan, almost all graphite is formed from coke, a waste product from a varieties of smelting activities. So if Mr Musk is correct in citing Japan as its graphite source, it's very likely not to have been mined, but is synthetic graphite.

Now, China does produce most of the world's graphite - about two-thirds, or about ten times what the US now manufactures. Not all that graphite goes into your "lead" pencil - most assuredly, some goes into batteries. It's not a stretch to conjecture that if a battery is made in China, it's using Chinese graphite. But if the battery is Japanese - synthetic graphite is a likely component (thus my suggestion that Mr Musk may be wrong).

Lastly, and again as an aside, effectively all graphite began its cycle in the same way oil and coal did - as organic carbon (those famous "dinosaurs", donchaknow? ;)). Coal, subjected to intense pressures and temperatures, has its carbon reduced to graphite. If there were some way for a coal bed to be subducted to ridiculous depths in the earth - very unlikely - then not graphite, but diamond, might be the result. But now I really digress.

On edit: It is difficult - a euphemism for "impossible" - for any even moderately complex manufacturing process to ensure unequivocally that every last one of its materials, labor, and capital inputs are "green"/"socially acceptable"/"good". It doesn't take but a moment's thought to realize that your criteria differ from my criteria and are antithetical to the criteria of that guy over there. HOWEVER, one can set one's own criteria and attempt to meet them. The issue on the table here suggests that TMInc. may wish to ensure that the graphite used to create the anodes in its battery Gigafactory be definitively sourced from synthetic graphite (and, for chauvinistic sentiments, US or possibly Japanese-derived syn-graphite...but I'm not going to go there any more than that one line).

Thank you for above note. Good info to keep in mind.

I finally have a chance to do some analysis and post a chart so here's my latest contribution.

TSLA appears to be teetering on whether or not it should stay in the current channel or start heading below while the 20-day MA was broken. If TSLA does head lower, the bottom end of the next channel looks like the upper 210s to low 220s. In my opinion, this is the absolute worse case scenario at best barring any legitimate negative news about Tesla.

The good in all of this is the fact that TSLA has completely moved to oversold and the volume has not supported this drastic of a price drop. With TSLA being this oversold and at the support end of the channel, I can see a relief rally boosting the price back above the 240s.

As far as today goes, I'm just hoping that TSLA can finish above 232.50.

5wm1MzLh.png

Interesting read from noted VC, Fred Wilson, about impact of low interest rates on valuations of high-growth companies.

The Bubble Question – AVC

Hey Dave,

Great post but I'm afraid it'll probably get lost in this thread. Think it would be a good idea to have a "macro / general market" type thread for this sort of information / discussion, as related tangentially to TSLA price movements.

Interesting read from noted VC, Fred Wilson, about impact of low interest rates on valuations of high-growth companies.

The Bubble Question – AVC

Great article! This brings to mind a question I have right now: How to safely invest profits from sale of Tesla shares. Things aren't looking to great in the bond market and the stock market is potentially headed for a correction. Any thoughts on somewhat conservative investment options?

This post could go in the social chat thread if that is more appropriate.

This feels exactly like the decline from the high in September. A long slow steady decline off the high. Tons of enthusiasm and people saying at every off day that it's a buying opportunity. That lasted for a couple months before it started going back up steadily.

2014 guidance has been given, the ER is over, the gigafactory reveal is over (and sort of anticlimatic). Everything is in a holding pattern.

I don't think people yet grasp the Gigafactory and how much of an advantage it will give Tesla. I have not heard many people talk about what it does to margins on the Model S if you reduce its battery cost by 30 percent.

I am hoping for more details to emerge when they pick the site for factory, Break ground, Etc.

We are still waiting for the conference call for the Factory correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.