Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I certainly agree with your point that the timing remains up in the air. It's a quick order for a recall due to immediate safety concerns that would have been a problem. But we're at the point where the issue could be dismissed any day now. The close spacing of two non-injurious road debris incidents was apparently one of those statistical anomalies that occasionally occur. The NHTSA may have wanted to wait a few months to be sure that is the case. So most of their testing may have simply involved sitting around while following the news.

Meanwhile, my car will soon be recalled by GM for an ignition switch defect that has resulted in thirteen deaths. It is not an NHTSA mandated recall, despite the agency being made aware of the problem in 2007. If the NHTSA could ignore that GM situation, surely they won't flag Tesla over a couple of high-speed Model S accidents that resulted in no injuries.

Time for a model S Curt!

On November 15, 2013 the NHTSA opened its preliminary evaluation of two Model S incidents. On it's website it states that, "Most PEs are resolved within four months." This coming Saturday will mark four months.
Major changes in the constituents of the S&P 500 often take effect immediately following a quarterly options expiration. Those changes are often announced on the previous Wednesday. Quarterly options will expire at the end of next week.
If the NHTSA were to clear the Model S, and the S&P 500 were too commence inclusion of Tesla Motors at nearly the same time, the short squeeze could be quite intense.

While the NHTSA opened its preliminary evaluation Tesla had until mid January to provide all the material requested by the NHTSA. For all we know Tesla needed every bit of time to provide it especially if they were asked for additional information once the NHTSA reviewed their initial material. So I believe many jumped the gun on expecting an answer in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

While the NHTSA opened its preliminary evaluation Tesla had until mid January to provide all the material requested by the NHTSA. For all we know Tesla needed every bit of time to provide it especially if they were asked for additional information once the NHTSA reviewed their initial material. So I believe many jumped the gun on expecting an answer in the Jan/Feb timeframe.

No Elon goes on record and says the documents were given that week. With bureaucracy comes delay and lag... it's normal

- - - Updated - - -

So what do you guys think is causing this dip? Technicals, expected pullback after run-up/profit-taking, gap filling, momentum/sentiment change, the recent SA FUD article? There hasn't been any real news in awhile.

It's -3%... nothing goes straight up. That and there were other opportunities for traders to have today such as PLUG.

The Obama Administration

While I am a registered Democrat, I am ready for the Obama administration to get off their arse. Specifically, the White House has failed to respond to our petition. Positive, negative, anything, we deserve a response. The NHTSA should complete the work of their investigation.

I think this minor pull-back is not a big deal. Probably arises from some profit-taking by institutions/fund managers as they rebalance: having a stock quadruple automatically makes it over-weighted in portfolios. Also contributing is a new generation of shorts signing up to give us their wealth. I'm good with that; I could use a new sailboat.

I meant more the dip from 255 or so. I agree it isn't a huge deal - just wondering if this is just would be expected on a technical basis.

This is a normal consolidation. There are no catalysts strong enough to go up or to close the gap until the end of March when financial details are finalized and internal people start leaking the news to their immediate social circle. This is also the season where people finalizes their taxes and gather money to pay for it. Once the period pass, then the stocks can move.

On it's website it states that, "Most PEs are resolved within four months." This coming Saturday will mark four months.

Also, it goes on to say, "In the event that ODI believes further analysis is warranted, the PE (Preliminary Evaluation) is upgraded to an Engineering Analysis (EA) ... During an EA, ODI conducts a more detailed and complete analysis of the character and scope of the alleged defect. The EA builds on information collected during the PE and supplements it with appropriate inspections, tests, surveys, and additional information obtained from the manufacturer and suppliers. ODI attempts to resolve all EAs within one year from the date they are opened, but some complex investigations require more time."

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects/Motor+Vehicle+Safety+Defects+and+Recalls+Campaigns?renderPage=3

This could still be a long time away if the NHTSA actually wants to dig deep and perform their own tests...

General Motors led the way downward today, while taking Tesla and Ford with them. The problem is a congressional investigation of a GM/NHTSA delay of a recall. This may cause the NHTSA to sit on their Tesla evaluation for a couple of more months until the GM situation calms down and an all-clear can be quietly issued for Tesla

General Motors led the way downward today, while taking Tesla and Ford with them. The problem is a congressional investigation of a GM/NHTSA delay of a recall. This may cause the NHTSA to sit on their Tesla evaluation for a couple of more months until the GM situation calms down and an all-clear can be quietly issued for Tesla

I guess no SP500 inclusion either?

You know what's interesting. Doug Kass bought GM today. And by interesting I mean... hilarious :biggrin:

I finally found the time to look at my chart today and I really wasn't expecting to see TSLA take the beating it did considering how well it was doing in the morning. Nevertheless, tomorrow will be a real test of the channel and we'll see if the 230s and the 20-day MA hold.

The good parts about this dip is the fact that stochastics are moving into oversold and it's a great buying opportunity as I see TSLA making a reversal just as quickly as it went down this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.