Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sent letter asking for a refund for FSD paid feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it. Anyone who paid for the full self driving option knew they were paying in advance for a capability that did not exist yet, and there was no promise as to when it might exist.

Although that was MY take on FSD (and why I didn't buy it), I can excuse people for becoming confused.

Part of the concern now, is that FSD will NOT exist (at least not on HW2 cars)

in today's world we are used to buying things before they're released (like the upcoming iPhone, a movie on Amazon, etc).
when the offer comes from an established corporation, we think of it as "pre release" but coming.
So when Apple says "New iPhone coming March 2017" we feel fine pre-ordering it in December. We also EXPECT it to deliver in March.

we are also used to buying things that are early in development (like Kickstarter)
here, we know that there's a chance that nothing will come of our purchase, or that it will be very delayed (everything on Kickstarter takes for ever to come out, if at all).

part of the problem is that Tesla is one of the most highly valued companies on Earth
thus: people view it more like Apple... than a Kickstarter campaign.

I think it would be better if Tesla made a subsidiary where people could "pre order" emerging technology for their Tesla.
Have "Tesla" which would sell us our cars
And "Tesla Kickstarter" which would sell us emerging unproven technology.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Good idea @BestRadar. Keep this thread up to date, if you get a positive response I will do the same. I currently have the AS disabled as it doesn't work in most areas I drive, too many intersections, curvy roads and higher speeds needed.

According to their financial statements, they haven't been able to bank the revenue because they haven't delivered the functionality.

For the kids in the back:
THEY HAVEN'T DELIVERED WHAT THEY SOLD TO THE CUSTOMER.

That isn't just some subtle difference similar to the AP1 feature rollout history, it's a legal acknowledgement that this hasn't yet worked, and they cannot claim they have delivered what was sold to the customer.

I think they will refund the option cost...probably with a demand to sign a non-disclosure preventing the OP from coming back to this thread and starting a tidal wave of refunds.

I guess what I would like to know from the defenders of Tesla's behavior in this debacle is this: If you knew today that EAP won't work at AP1 parity by the end of 2017, would you still be telling stories about how this is OK and Tesla is doing their best, or would you hold some contempt for the difference between the situation they presented when you ordered your car, and the reality that existed behind the scenes? Serious question.

I paid the $3k for FSD for my December order. I do think actual FSD, as in using my car as a FSD taxi, is unlikely. However, there will be features introduced, as Tesla stated, that we will be able to use before FSD is completed. It's not FSD or nothing. To me those features were worth $3k, and a chance at real FSD is a bonus.

That said, if you are on a three year lease FSD probably makes little sense.

there is no reason I should have paid for a feature that might never become a reality.

Agreed, you didn't have to, but you did, and in doing so you accepted the terms by which Tesla offered these "future features".

Personally I would never consider prepaying for vaporware from Tesla or anyone else. Once the software is real, and performance audited, then I'll decide if it's an appropriate addition to my purchase. I do hope Tesla considers offering you a refund on this, but they are under no obligation to do so.

Reactions: Sonny Daze
Agreed, you didn't have to, but you did, and in doing so you accepted the terms by which Tesla offered these "future features".

Personally I would never consider prepaying for vaporware from Tesla or anyone else. Once the software is real, and performance audited, then I'll decide if it's an appropriate addition to my purchase. I do hope Tesla considers offering you a refund on this, but they are under no obligation to do so.

It was not supposed to be vaporware. Remember they showed us all a video of it in action and they continue to show off that video even though it seems they are now going backwards in development. To drum up more money they even now enabled the ability for any HW2 customer to log into their My Tesla and order FSD for $4000. They are continuing to push a feature they are not close to delivering. This is a very shady practice.

It was not supposed to be vaporware. Remember they showed us all a video of it in action and they continue to show off that video even though it seems they are now going backwards in development. To drum up more money they even now enabled the ability for any HW2 customer to log into their My Tesla and order FSD for $4000. They are continuing to push a feature they are not close to delivering. This is a very shady practice.

I do not consider the situation as "shady" as you do.

To be fair, the video's were never stated as a claim of performance that you should expect to see today. I watched those videos in much the same light as I saw the SpaceX Grasshopper propulsive landing videos. It showed a technology that they are working on, not a technology that was customer ready. In that case, they did eventually resolve the issues and Falcon9 is delivering on propulsive landings today. Personally I do believe that the level of performance observed in the Tesla videos will eventually be realized. [Although even the FSD that was demonstrated in the two videos I saw were not without issues.]

Like I said before, I do hope you get a positive response from Tesla, but I don't think they are obligated to make it so. In the end, those who jump on the bleeding edge of technology risk experiencing buyers remorse even while hoping for early adopter euphoria. I too will monitor this thread and wish you luck on a satisfactory solution from Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: GSP and Eclectic
I’m a little baffled why anyone paid in advance for something Tesla said doesn’t work and may not be legal to use if it did work… I decided to simply wait it out to see if/when Tesla gets the software working smoothly and the Government decides what they want to do about it.

I’m a little baffled why anyone paid in advance for something Tesla said doesn’t work and may not be legal to use if it did work… I decided to simply wait it out to see if/when Tesla gets the software working smoothly and the Government decides what they want to do about it.

Because the sales folks made it clear it was coming and would be ready shortly and it was a great deal to save $1000. If I thought their video was fake or staged I would never have went for it. After seeing what did get released with AP2 after 2 months I now realize that their promotional video was staged and I now have the feeling that this hardware will never fully drive on it own without risking lives.

Also, I am not sure where it says that we should expect TACC to be in beta, and be released incrementally.
I payed for TACC, and it should work as expected from the first release. Unfortunately TACC is connected to AP so until AP works as expected we won't have a good TACC.
I am still not sure why they removed the regular CC.

Reactions: pilotSteve
They paid in advance in order to save $1000 per feature. Adding EAP or FSD will cost $1000 more (each) if added at a later date. If FSD is never added, then I'm sure there would be refunds. I opted to order only EAP with my car.

I've always thought the promotional video showed what the hardware is capable of once Tesla's software is complete. To me, it looks like they used Nvidia's software and hardware with Tesla's new camera setup. Tesla is still working on the software. Once they start releasing FSD features, I'll probably go ahead and order it as well, at a cost for $4000 instead of $3000.

Once the software is real, and performance audited, then I'll decide if it's an appropriate addition to my purchase.
On the other hand, if people keep paying for features that don't exist (and may never exist) companies will keep selling them.

I'm disappointed by both sides: Tesla, for selling features that are not available (or even sure they can deliver) and people giving them $8,000 based on an internet video (in fast-forward).

Not that either side gives a $#!% what I think. ;)

Reactions: M0DEL³
I recently placed an order for my 1st Tesla. I bought the EAP but decided (at my salesman's backing) to wait for the FSD until it was released. Is it true that the AP2 is not as good as the AP1? I passed on CPOs and inventory cars that had the refresh front (that I like) and AP1 because I was told it would never be as good as late model 2016 or 2017 orders that have AP2.... I could have saved a lot of money or have gotten a P90D instead...

I recently placed an order for my 1st Tesla. I bought the EAP but decided (at my salesman's backing) to wait for the FSD until it was released. Is it true that the AP2 is not as good as the AP1? I passed on CPOs and inventory cars that had the refresh front (that I like) and AP1 because I was told it would never be as good as late model 2016 or 2017 orders that have AP2.... I could have saved a lot of money or have gotten a P90D instead...
Currently AP1 performs better than AP2. Soon AP2 will be "at parity" with AP1 features and eventually it will greatly exceed AP1 capabilities.