Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even worse they seem to be rebranding the existing Chargefox U-Park sites, e.g. Topham Mall and Rundle. Can anyone confirm? I went to charge in Rundle the other day but all the chargers were broken so maybe they were anticipating the new branding.

Sticking an RAA sticker on the existing Chargefox sites wasn't what I hoped for when the announcement was made. I would have preferred they awarded Tesla and required the sites to be open.

Then again, after the treatment in Gawler, I'm guessing Tesla are staying clear of SA.

Reactions: David Sowden
The first RAA Charge sites are live in South Australia. All single phase (7kW) type 2 stations for now and on Chargefox network.

Also dedicated charging locator but no pricing so best stay on Plugshare - EV charging locator | RAA

Some have peak (5pm-10pm 32c/kWh) and off peak pricing (25c/kWh all other times) (eg Marion Holiday Park and Lakes Resort Hotel). Others are free for the first hour, and then 25c/kWh after that. (chargers inside the UPark stations)
7kW is a joke in this day and age.

Reactions: BenT and Chuq
7kW is a joke in this day and age.
There are a lot of factors, especially the exhorbitant fees SAPN charge to upgrade power supplies. On a commercial site these often hit 6 figure sums. Avoiding this may be the reason for the lower power output, which at an accomodation establishment is likely to be ample for overnight charging, or an office carpark also ample for charging all day especially given the somewhat short average distance of an Adelaide work commute

Reactions: Hairyman
There are a lot of factors, especially the exhorbitant fees SAPN charge to upgrade power supplies. On a commercial site these often hit 6 figure sums. Avoiding this may be the reason for the lower power output, which at an accomodation establishment is likely to be ample for overnight charging, or an office carpark also ample for charging all day especially given the somewhat short average distance of an Adelaide work commute
Totally fair that some places might only have the capacity for a 7 kW unit, and agree at places like accommodation providers they are a great option.

But it's dishonest for the government to fund a huge fast charging network and then install some 7 kW units and say "oh yeah, these are part of it by the way".

Last edited:
Totally fair that some places might only have the capacity for a 7 kW unit, and agree at places like accommodation providers they are a great option.

But it's dishonest for the government to fund a huge fast charging network and then install some 7 kW units and say "oh yeah, these are part of it by the way".
When did an expectation start that government announcements and actions would be honest?

• Funny
Reactions: Chuq
When did an expectation start that government announcements and actions would be honest?

They’ve been very good in NSW in terms of their EV strategy (incentives for individuals and fleets, government procurement policies) and support for the rollout of chargers for different use cases (DCFCs, destination chargers, kerbside chargers, apartment upgrades, changes to building codes, changes to strata law). They have done everything they said they would do, or are in the process of doing it.

Reactions: Chuq
that's a great location. right on the highway, plenty of options there. 10 bays is good capacity too. Flexible pricing will really help in SA during the day when we are mostly negative prices. should be better pricing than 66c from tesla.

The Rocland Group and JET Charge, at the new Sturt Highway service station in Nuriootpa, will demonstrate how rapid EV charging using time of use pricing tariffs and surge pricing or dynamic power delivery can support and positively influence regional EV charging behaviours.

The 10 rapid charging bays will provide up to 150kW of power output to a vehicle and customers will benefit from a flexible pricing model that will incentivize use during periods of high renewable energy generation.

The trial will demonstrate how essential highway EV smart charging can contribute to overall electricity system strength, without adversely impacting upon EV driver perceptions or user experience on regional road trips.
Nuriootpa-2.jpg

From plugshare.

Actual construction has now started.

This was shared by someone on the AEVA South Australia FB group (It's a private group so I won't share the whole post):

1683466502610.png

This could well be the Nurioopta site listed above. However the Nurioopta site has funding from elsewhere and doesn't mention RAA. The max speed is also different (150 kW vs 200 kW).

I guess other SA residents could email RAA and see if they get slightly more specific responses? :)

Reactions: RichardV
This was shared by someone on the AEVA South Australia FB group (It's a private group so I won't share the whole post):

View attachment 935425

This could well be the Nurioopta site listed above. However the Nurioopta site has funding from elsewhere and doesn't mention RAA. The max speed is also different (150 kW vs 200 kW).

I guess other SA residents could email RAA and see if they get slightly more specific responses? :)
Also the Rocland Nurioopta site is meant to be 10x150kW site, so you would think they might talk up the 10 stall factor.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Vostok
Tanunda already has 1 x 50kw and rocland are installing new fast DC JET chargers with flexible pricing model .

I wonder RAA charger will be that attractive in Barossa?

Supercharger in Gawler area is a missed opportunity by council in the past.

Still, if a site has 3ph power, it is easier to wire in 11kw chargers as they are load balanced across phases (assuming charging vehicles are 3ph, which is the norm going forward) and the amount of capacity available for charging at the site can be dynamically adjusted via the charging hardware depending on how many vehicles are plugged in.

• Informative
Still, if a site has 3ph power, it is easier to wire in 11kw chargers as they are load balanced across phases (assuming charging vehicles are 3ph, which is the norm going forward) and the amount of capacity available for charging at the site can be dynamically adjusted via the charging hardware depending on how many vehicles are plugged in.
Once you exceed 90amps 3 phase SAPN charge you for your percentage of the capital cost of the network used to get the power from substation to your site. In the cbd this is often well over $200,000 for their smallest 300A transformer.

Also I’m not sure if this is new but their prices have been released - EV charging network

Cost to charge
AC Standard 25c kWh (all other times)
AC Evening Peak 32c kWh (5:00-10:00PM)
DC Standard 59c kWh (all other times)
DC Evening Peak 68c kWh (5:00-10:00PM)

Interesting how the peak times have been selected - at EHT sites (which have different peak/off-peak time rates) the peak time is 9am-6pm and off peak is all other times.

If I had to guess as to why - I would say the EHT peak rate is to manage congestion; the SA peak rates are due to wholesale energy cost.

If I had to guess as to why - I would say the EHT peak rate is to manage congestion; the SA peak rates are due to wholesale energy cost.
It's mostly congestion (distribution network usage) in both cases. SA has massive rooftop solar penetration which means the distribution networks end up lightly used during the day, sometimes to the point that entire residential areas end up net producers of electricity. The SAPN Network Use Charges are lowest in their "solar sponge" time, which is 10am to 3pm (this is unrelated to the wholesale cost).

• Informative
God, yet another app to download, sign up for and use - for a total of 5 stations across Australia.

At some point someone will develop a “meta App” or there will be App consolidation where the same backend provider is being used, because people will get jack of all these Apps. The risk with the meta approach is security - your credentials for multiple networks would have to be shared within one app. Also individual providers might not like losing control of the “look and feel” of their sole customer engagement channel.

There’s a very small number of different public charging networks that I use on a semi-regular basis, so only about 3 Apps / RFID cards that I deal with which is tolerable. For people without off-street parking who always have to use public charging, this might be very different.