Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Energy plans - NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picking a power plan is a very subjective thing, and many different use-cases exist.

For what it's worth, we are in Ausgrid area, and with Red Energy. We have 24kW panels and 20kW inverters split across three phase power, and backed up with 22kW batteries.

Red offer us $0.07 FiT at all times of day with no limit. All prices listed here are ex GST:

- Service charge is $0.85 per day
- Peak from 2pm to 8pm is $0.48/kWh
- Shoulder from 7am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm is $0.2995/kWh
- Off peak from 10pm to 7am is $0.1723/kWh

Two other big "plusses" for me - (1) They use renewable energy, and (2) are Australian owned.

It's not legal to advertise prices ex GST.

Just sayin'
My sincerest apologies.

Red offer us $0.07 FiT at all times of day with no limit. All prices listed here are inc GST:

- Service charge is $0.935 per day
- Peak from 2pm to 8pm is $0.528/kWh
- Shoulder from 7am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm is $0.32945/kWh
- Off peak from 10pm to 7am is $0.18953/kWh

Picking a power plan is a very subjective thing, and many different use-cases exist.

It’s completely objective, if you have historical time-based consumption and solar generation data, which most people with solar have.

With Tesla PW2, the data granularity is 5 minutes. 1 year’s worth of data is 105,120 rows. Plug in a rate plan, and my spreadsheet will tell me exactly how much each one would cost over 12 months. Choose the smallest one within desired constraints (e.g. 100% green power). Done.

Reactions: Quickst
With Tesla PW2, the data granularity is 5 minutes. 1 year’s worth of data is 105,120 rows. Plug in a rate plan, and my spreadsheet will tell me exactly how much each one would cost over 12 months. Choose the smallest one within desired constraints (e.g. 100% green power). Done.
Unless the new plan has different time-of-use windows or demand charges than the current plan. Then you have to estimate how much usage you'll be able to shift around to suit the new times as well.

(I agree it still should be possible to make an objectively best choice though).

My sincerest apologies.

Red offer us $0.07 FiT at all times of day with no limit. All prices listed here are inc GST:

- Service charge is $0.935 per day
- Peak from 2pm to 8pm is $0.528/kWh
- Shoulder from 7am to 2pm and 8pm to 10pm is $0.32945/kWh
- Off peak from 10pm to 7am is $0.18953/kWh
Could be worse, could be in SA.... this is the best i can find....

- Service Charge is 97.856c per day
- Peak from 6am - 10am 48c/kwh
- Shoulder 10am - 3pm 28c/kwh
- Back to peak 3pm - 1am 48c/kwh
- Off Peak 1am - 6am. 32c/kwh

So basically any time you are home is is Peak, except for a 5 hour window between 1am-6am.

Unless you are sitting around at home during the day....

Not in NSW but there doesn't appear to be an active thread for Qld. My question is simply, for the OVO EV plan, does the 8c/kwh overnight rate apply to all electricity usage, or does it use some kind of smart tech to only apply that rate to EV charging? We run aircon overnight most nights so the plan would only work for us if that was included on the cheap rate.

Not in NSW but there doesn't appear to be an active thread for Qld. My question is simply, for the OVO EV plan, does the 8c/kwh overnight rate apply to all electricity usage, or does it use some kind of smart tech to only apply that rate to EV charging? We run aircon overnight most nights so the plan would only work for us if that was included on the cheap rate.
It's all electricity - air conditioning, dishwasher, dryer, washing machine, house battery.... and yes, car charging.

OVO does not know nor AGL etc
Origin have a new plan 8 cents anytime and they want access to your Tesla account so they can count KW. You can charge anytime
Which you wonder if others will follow. Although not sure people want to give access to their Tesla data.
Their plan is 2 cents cheaper per KW although I loose the 11am-2pm and also the 8 cents midnight to 6am.
Although can charge anytime you want.
My last bill was 602kw import 207kw in 11am-2pm free zone, 117kw midnight-6am and only 279kw in peak so $90
On Origin it be 26cents $104 plus around 200kw charging $16.. so $30 more

One thing you are between 11am-2pm eating all your own Solar export first.
So on a Sunny day you might only be importing 3kw eating 5kw

Last edited:
OVO does not know nor AGL etc
Origin have a new plan 8 cents anytime and they want access to your Tesla account so they can count KW. You can charge anytime
Which you wonder if others will follow. Although not sure people want to give access to their Tesla data.
Their plan is 2 cents cheaper per KW although I loose the 11am-2pm and also the 8 cents midnight to 6am.
Although can charge anytime you want.
My last bill was 602kw import 207kw in 11am-2pm free zone, 117kw midnight-6am and only 279kw in peak so $90
On Origin it be 26cents $104 plus around 200kw charging $16.. so $30 more

One thing you are between 11am-2pm eating all your own Solar export first.
So on a Sunny day you might only be importing 3kw eating 5kw
This is the first step towards what i mentioned a while ago sbout (on a slightly different topic) in regards to user pays tax on evs.

Mark my words the government is watching this, (undef the guise that you willingly do it now to “save money” if they mandate you give them (or the demand from tesla) access to your account to monitor taxable kms say goodbye to your personal freedoms and hello to being monitored using your own car.

I hope Elon can stop this, or if it does happen the backlash gets anyone involved fired and sued.

Mark my words the government is watching this, (undef the guise that you willingly do it now to “save money” if they mandate you give them (or the demand from tesla) access to your account to monitor taxable kms say goodbye to your personal freedoms and hello to being monitored using your own car.

No need in NSW for the Government to monitor anything. We have annual vehicle registration inspections here, and as part of that, your odometer reading is reported to NSW Roads and Maritime. It is trivial to implement a road usage charge here, without compromising anyone’s “freedoms”.

Reactions: Hairyman and dronus
No need in NSW for the Government to monitor anything. We have annual vehicle registration inspections here, and as part of that, your odometer reading is reported to NSW Roads and Maritime. It is trivial to implement a road usage charge here, without compromising anyone’s “freedoms”.
But if they go from reporting a number during your annual inspections to gaining access to your data electronically via the tesla account so that it is a uniform approach would that not impinge on your freedoms? What other data will they require? We have seen government officials trying to push online laws who cant explain what “metadata” is.

The annual inspections are only required for vehicles over 5 years old :)

(but yes, they could make it mandatory sooner than 5 years if they wanted)