Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SA Govt EV Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I’m down at Tonsley Innovation Park.
Not sure if this is the right thread, but close enough.
Really nice set up with shaded EV parking, 2x tritium fast chargers with ccs2 and Chademo, plus 3x double 22kw type 2 units.
Only issue is that only one of the type 2 chargers works, others are in fault.
Neither fast chargers works.

I have fond memories of that site. My Model 3 was delivered to that car park (the chargers in front of the old Mitsubishi building) over 4 years ago. Solar Garage wasn't built at the time.

Sadly, the Solar Garage was always going to turn out that way. It was built by a consortium of stakeholders, some using grant money. The site was always free, so there was no cost recovery to pay for new capital expenditure when things broke or needed replacement/upgrades.

I did say to a representative of one of the stakeholders that they should hand the site over to the RAA.

I understand the power is fed from an embedded network on site (cleanpeak), so it is not on the SAPN network. I'm sure RAA has a contract for electricity, so this site would be different, even if the site was suitable.

It's a great location, pretty much on top of South road, and close to Ayliffs road - located in a tech precinct, with medium density housing at the rear of the site. Maybe they will find an operator at some stage.

Reactions: B3AU and dronus
I have fond memories of that site. My Model 3 was delivered to that car park (the chargers in front of the old Mitsubishi building) over 4 years ago. Solar Garage wasn't built at the time.

Sadly, the Solar Garage was always going to turn out that way. It was built by a consortium of stakeholders, some using grant money. The site was always free, so there was no cost recovery to pay for new capital expenditure when things broke or needed replacement/upgrades.

I did say to a representative of one of the stakeholders that they should hand the site over to the RAA.

I understand the power is fed from an embedded network on site (cleanpeak), so it is not on the SAPN network. I'm sure RAA has a contract for electricity, so this site would be different, even if the site was suitable.

It's a great location, pretty much on top of South road, and close to Ayliffs road - located in a tech precinct, with medium density housing at the rear of the site. Maybe they will find an operator at some stage.
I hope so and agree that it is an awesome location, especially for fast chargers, not so much for slow chargers (unless you work nearby)

I’m glad I visited, always wanted to go there with my own EV like many before me :)

Dropped in to Moana to have a squiz.
It turns out I know someone who might be able to get some more info about this site… stay tuned…
IMG_9998.jpeg

My understanding according to Plug Share is we are expecting it commissioned this week or next. The property manager from MRS got back to Nismo:

View attachment 1035334
Yeah I know someone connected with one of the businesses there so I’ll have a chat with him tonight hopefully. He might or might not know anything.
It’s a good little site there. I went back past Seaford this morning but both chargers were in use.
I went back out to Seaford just then (4 hours later) and the same Mitsubishi pev was still camped in the type 2 spot, probably parked there all day. It was plugged in but being no idle there is no incentive to move.
If you were in that area enjoying the beaches and needed a charge, you would be waiting a while.

Ohh and I’ve written to the local member to bring the lack of EV charging in the south to their attention.
Was a very constructive and polite email, lets see if escalating it from my interactions with the council can help in any way.
I have had a dialogue in regards to this with several political members and others in regards to what’s going on.
The bland generic responses are not inspiring. More news as it progresses…

Last edited:
Looks like 6x AC plugs went live at Port Lincoln Airport yesterday - Port Lincoln Airport (Coming Soon) | North Shields, SA | EV Station
Along with 2x AC plugs at Coffin Bay - Town Jetty Parking (Coming Soon) | Coffin Bay, SA | EV Station

The DC charger at Port Lincoln is all installed and looks like it's just waiting for someone to flick the switch - Eyre St Parking (Coming Soon) | Port Lincoln, SA | EV Station

(fun fact, Google Maps seems to pull in Chargefox data within 24 hours, PlugShare seems.. slower. Will see how long it takes)

Reactions: dronus
Looks like 6x AC plugs went live at Port Lincoln Airport yesterday - Port Lincoln Airport (Coming Soon) | North Shields, SA | EV Station
Along with 2x AC plugs at Coffin Bay - Town Jetty Parking (Coming Soon) | Coffin Bay, SA | EV Station

The DC charger at Port Lincoln is all installed and looks like it's just waiting for someone to flick the switch - Eyre St Parking (Coming Soon) | Port Lincoln, SA | EV Station

(fun fact, Google Maps seems to pull in Chargefox data within 24 hours, PlugShare seems.. slower. Will see how long it takes)
And looks like the Port Lincoln DC charger is now live in the Chargefox app :)
Well, kinda - showing as 'unknown' - but it's there!
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 15.38.11.png

Forgot to mention, some more AC sites went live in the last week on Kangaroo Island too, including the airport (Kangaroo Island Airport (1) (Coming Soon) | Cygnet River, SA | EV Station) and this playground in Kingscote (Kingscote Playground | Kingscote, SA | EV Station).

DC site still not live though. Lloyd Collins Reserve (Coming Soon) | Penneshaw, SA | EV Station

--

Idle fees also seem to be live at more sites around Adelaide.

The FAQ (https://www.raa.com.au/help-centre/motoring-services-support/ev-charging-network) still says only Burnside Civic Centre has idle fees, but they're in effect at Glenelg, Blackwood, Brickworks, Churchill Centre and Mt Barker.

None of the 'regional' sites outside Adelaide, nor some of the other site owners (eg ENGIE, but that's outside this thread)
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 15.46.32.png
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 15.47.56.png

Last edited:
I probably missed it but has the RAA discount been discontinued?

Just planning a trip to Melbourne (if anyone can suggest something interesting to do while there, PM me haha) and looking at where to stop etc.

I probably missed it but has the RAA discount been discontinued?

Just planning a trip to Melbourne (if anyone can suggest something interesting to do while there, PM me haha) and looking at where to stop etc.
It's only the handful of 350kW sites that have a discount - usually branded with the motoring organisation in that state eg NRMA/RACV. Use the Chargefox app and look for the ultra rapid sites (Murray Bridge, Keith, etc)

There's no discount on the RAA Charge (aka SA Govt network as per this thread), yet anyway - everyone pays the same rate, member or not.

It's only the handful of 350kW sites that have a discount - usually branded with the motoring organisation in that state eg NRMA/RACV. Use the Chargefox app and look for the ultra rapid sites (Murray Bridge, Keith, etc)

There's no discount on the RAA Charge (aka SA Govt network as per this thread), yet anyway - everyone pays the same rate, member or not.
Ohh sorry about that I thought it was all the sites but I was wrong :)
Thank you for the clarification.

I don’t live in Melbourne, I live outside. I drive to the edge of Melbourne for work and that’s usually as close as I want to get. But on the occasional trip into Melbourne for an event, the place spins me out, they make up for weather with goings on. Music, art, theatre, sport, whatever you want is happening in Melbourne. Google it, you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Yeah cool. Maybe as/ifwhen competition becomes more prevalent in SA they might introduce it.
The margins can’t be too big on the slower 7/22kw sites.
There are no 22kW RAA Charge sites - they are all 7kW AC, or 150kW/200kW DC sites.

I assume the pricing will increase by that 10% when the rollout is 'finished', and perhaps keep the 10% discount for RAA members?
(And hopefully motoring groups from interstate, eg NRMA)

There are no 22kW RAA Charge sites - they are all 7kW AC, or 150kW/200kW DC sites.

I assume the pricing will increase by that 10% when the rollout is 'finished', and perhaps keep the 10% discount for RAA members?
(And hopefully motoring groups from interstate, eg NRMA)

Ohh you are right, I must have been looking at something else where it was 22kw.
For reference here is the RAA charge at Seaford.

IMG_9481.jpeg

RAA have announced their 2nd super site in Mt Gambier. Geat to have more stalls but It's a bit of a shame as they said that's all of the super sites ie only 2 Super sites. There is already the 6 stall Tesla Supercharger in Mt Gambier so now we have 13 stalls in the town. A super site at somewhere like Keith or Bordertown is what would have been nice. The 3 stall RAA charger at Bordertown I avoid unless desperate as it's not near food or coffee shops. I hate just sitting in the car charging.