Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofiting the Winter Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Retrofitting usually refers to adding a new accessory to an older car.

In your case you should have no problem ordering the OEM 19" winter package,
if you are a patient man and can wait a month, then travel to the service center, as
unfortunately Tesla ships the tires, wheels, and TPMS sensors separately (duh, they
could save a lot having them assembled and balanced at warehouse) to the service
center.

If you opt for an aftermarket package I recommend TireRack, make sure the 19x8",
offset 40mm, Continental VIN>50k TPMS, and max tire pressure of 50 PSI are followed closely.

Unfortunately there is a $1900 between an OE cap Rial Lugano, and the smack on to specs Borbet
CH-R one (looks great on our Honda Odyssey BTW), so I chose the Rials.

I chose the Sottozero 102w because of its highest speed rating, in addition to Italy made and superb
ratings.

How possible is it to retrofit the SUBZERO WEATHER PACKAGE? I purchased a used 2015 that does not have it but I could really use it!
Just a guess but I'm going to say not possible for any reasonable price. You'd basically have to replace all the related components (like the steering wheel) and I'm sure that isn't cheap once the car is manufactured.

How possible is it to retrofit the SUBZERO WEATHER PACKAGE? I purchased a used 2015 that does not have it but I could really use it!

Assuming the wiring is present, at the very least you'd need a new steering wheel, new front windshield, new washer nozzles, and new back seats. I suspect it would be very expensive, but it doesn't hurt to ask your local service center (or the sales person if you haven't taken deliver of your CPO yet) what it would cost, and/or whether you could get at least a partial zubzero by replacing only the windshield and the washer nozzles.

I'm a little surprised wiper defrost and heated nozzles did not become standard since the car doesn't have a fire-breahting monster under the hood. It feels a little like what some other car manufacturers used to do (maybe still do) when selling in California - they sold them with no rear defroster and no insulation in the doors. I also think AP camera defroster would be nice as it seems to not defrost for me (see Auto-Pilot Freeze | Forums | Tesla Motors).

None of the heating elements in the subzero weather package are very costly. At its core, it's simply thin wire. Is it possible that the hardware is built into all (or most?) cars, enabled by software switch?

An argument against is not being able to purchase the subzero package after delivery. But this is not definitive.

If Tesla published a parts manual, we'd be able to tell.

None of the heating elements in the subzero weather package are very costly. At its core, it's simply thin wire. Is it possible that the hardware is built into all (or most?) cars, enabled by software switch?

An argument against is not being able to purchase the subzero package after delivery. But this is not definitive.

If Tesla published a parts manual, we'd be able to tell.

You can look at a non-subzero windshield, and it does not have the heating element visible. So I would argue that no, not all cars have a sleeper subzero package available with a click of a button.

Would a heated steering wheel cover like this work for you?
The Full Coverage Heated Steering Wheel Cover - Hammacher Schlemmer
"The unit provides heat for 35 minutes"
That ought to help with long multi-hour drives...

- - - Updated - - -

My SC is looking into doing the wheel retrofit for me. We'll see what happens. I would love the heated wheel as well.
Please let us know what you find! I've never had the option, and didn't think I'd care (not to mention my car is just too early to get it even had it been equipped with the cold weather package)
But I had a loaner in Vancouver that had it on a miserable zero degree (celsius, 32f) and rainy day. That steering wheel was amazing!

I had loaners with the package on two separate occasions last winter. Both were heavy "snow days" just by coincidence. These earlier cars did not have the heated steering wheel, but did have all the other options. I came away feeling not so bad that my car doesn't have the package. I rarely have rear seat passengers, but even if I did, having no controls for them in the back seemed really dumb. It means someone in the front seat has to control the heaters, and the level of heat for the rear passengers. I could see that getting old fast. The heated wipers (actually lower band of the glass) did absolutely nothing for the snow/slush build-up that I experienced. Could not tell the difference from my own car without the feature. And you have to pay attention, because the feature will "time out" after a bit and the only way to tell it turned itself off is to open the controls on the 17" and check. I always use high quality washer anti-freeze and have never had a problem, so cannot say what difference heated washer nozzles would have. Again, to me, absolutely no difference.

I can see where a heated steering wheel would be nice. These loaners did not have that.

I had loaners with the package on two separate occasions last winter. Both were heavy "snow days" just by coincidence. These earlier cars did not have the heated steering wheel, but did have all the other options. I came away feeling not so bad that my car doesn't have the package. I rarely have rear seat passengers, but even if I did, having no controls for them in the back seemed really dumb. It means someone in the front seat has to control the heaters, and the level of heat for the rear passengers. I could see that getting old fast. The heated wipers (actually lower band of the glass) did absolutely nothing for the snow/slush build-up that I experienced. Could not tell the difference from my own car without the feature. And you have to pay attention, because the feature will "time out" after a bit and the only way to tell it turned itself off is to open the controls on the 17" and check. I always use high quality washer anti-freeze and have never had a problem, so cannot say what difference heated washer nozzles would have. Again, to me, absolutely no difference.

I can see where a heated steering wheel would be nice. These loaners did not have that.
That was pretty much my thought process on the sub-zero package, My last vehicle had the "heated wipers" just like the MS, but I never found them all that useful, and for the rare rear passenger I wasn't willing to spend the money on those. My only concern had been the washer jets, I have had those freeze in an ICE by using the wrong fluid, but normally I'm good. My real concern was an ICE naturally heats those as they are above that big box of explosions, so I wondered if even "good" fluid may not do well without any heat. (and that particular package is about the only reasonably priced upgrade package Tesla offered at the time...)

That said.. Heated steering wheel, though never in a previous vehicle, was amazing in that loaner. I could get used to that one real quick!