Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The CCS ECU and Combo 1 Harness Retrofit is now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called Tesla about a possible bulletin on my 2014 Model S 60. It turned out that the bulletin I was calling about does not exist in the US, but the Tesla representative was very thorough and gave me the complete list of bulletins for my car. Some of them are fixes required only in case of malfunction, some others are voluntary (it seems that I can retrofit a winter package somehow?).

In any case, one of the voluntary bulletins was the CCS ECU and Combo 1 Harness Retrofit. I asked the representative to send me an estimate, just to confirm that it would be the $450 I believed it was. To my surprise, the estimate came back saying that it was free.

I assumed it was a mistake, so I approved the estimate expecting that I would hear back from Tesla with some correction. But no, they went ahead and scheduled a ranger visit for later this week.

Did anybody get this retrofit at no cost? Did Tesla start giving it away for free now that every automaker is abandoning CCS? Maybe it is only for older cars with free supercharger to incentivize not using it?

I will report back once everything is finished. I would not be surprised if Tesla still backtracks at the last minute.

Last edited:
As of right now still showing as free. Appointment is confirmed for tomorrow…

Attachments

• IMG_0583.png
    IMG_0583.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 49
So the ranger came, did the upgrade... and even gave me the CCS Adapter. All at no cost!

I asked him if there was a particular requirement to get this done for free, and he said nobody had told him anything and was as surprised as me when he saw that there was no charge. So maybe this was some fluke in the system, but I will take it :D

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpeg
    IMG_0584.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0585.PNG
    IMG_0585.PNG
    252.1 KB · Views: 29
So the ranger came, did the upgrade... and even gave me the CCS Adapter. All at no cost!

I asked him if there was a particular requirement to get this done for free, and he said nobody had told him anything and was as surprised as me when he saw that there was no charge. So maybe this was some fluke in the system, but I will take it :D
Might want to keep an eye on your credit card usage for a post-install retro charge! I wouldn't put it past them!

No specific part number. I opened a service request for a possible battery enclosure bulletin. They called back to tell me that this was not a bulletin in the US and offered to give me the list of all bulletins for my vehicle. One of them was the CCS ECU and Combo 1 Harness Retrofit. I asked them to send me an estimate for that one, since the service request was already open, and it came as free.

I am inclined to believe that it might be free for cars with lifetime supercharging. It would make all the sense for Tesla to make it as easy as possible for those vehicles not to use superchargers.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No specific part number. I opened a service request for a possible battery enclosure bulletin. They called back to tell me that this was not a bulletin in the US and offered to give me the list of all bulletins for my vehicle. One of them was the CCS ECU and Combo 1 Harness Retrofit. I asked them to send me an estimate for that one, since the service request was already open, and it came as free.

I am inclined to believe that it might be free for cars with lifetime supercharging. It would make all the sense for Tesla to make it as easy as possible for those vehicles not to use superchargers.
Do you recall what the TSB number was for the CCS retrofit?

It is not currently available for the Model 3 at all.
Actually, retrofit for Model 3/Y has been available for more than a month now.
People from these threads have shared their experience for Tesla service retrofitting on their model 3/Y

Reactions: APotatoGod
Do a Google search for 2 much sun website. They have a wealth of information on how to order the correct ECU and other parts needed for a DIY upgrade. I completed mine about two weeks ago, and couldn't be happier with the results.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already gotten the official retrofit, the price wasn't bad considering it comes with the CCS adapter as well, and that I wanted to have it pretty urgently (for a roadtrip to see the eclipse). It worked well and has earned its keep in that way!