Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Retrofiting the Winter Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've swapped out steering wheels on previous cars. They usually cost about $500 and the swap takes 15 minutes. Having the dealer update the software would take longer of course.
Issue is that the software does more than just the steering wheel, what will it think if the other components aren't there? previous people have been told that if they want it, it's all or nothing.
If this were a normal company I'd say just buy the wheel and wire it to a toggle switch (or a relay powered from the seat heater), but I'm betting Tesla will pull their usual garbage and refuse to sell it to you.

Issue is that the software does more than just the steering wheel, what will it think if the other components aren't there? previous people have been told that if they want it, it's all or nothing.
If this were a normal company I'd say just buy the wheel and wire it to a toggle switch (or a relay powered from the seat heater), but I'm betting Tesla will pull their usual garbage and refuse to sell it to you.

Or just buy a used Model S with that option in the first place if you know you want that feature.

"The unit provides heat for 35 minutes"
That ought to help with long multi-hour drives...

The item description says it comes with a "3 hour battery". The 35 minutes may reference the period of time the heat stays on each time you turn it on - similar to how the Tesla steering wheel behaves (unfortunately).

And it looks like you can buy additional batteries.

IMHO, not a bad option if Tesla can't or won't allow the upgrade. A whole lot more cost effective than buying another car!

As an aside, it would be nice if Tesla would update the software so that the steering wheel heater stays on until you explicitly turn them off - like the seat heaters.

The item description says it comes with a "3 hour battery". The 35 minutes may reference the period of time the heat stays on each time you turn it on - similar to how the Tesla steering wheel behaves (unfortunately).

And it looks like you can buy additional batteries.

IMHO, not a bad option if Tesla can't or won't allow the upgrade. A whole lot more cost effective than buying another car!

As an aside, it would be nice if Tesla would update the software so that the steering wheel heater stays on until you explicitly turn them off - like the seat heaters.

My steering wheel heater never times out

Hmmm... I thought my wheel has turned off in the middle of a commute (typically ~1 hour). But maybe it was because I stopped for an errand. I will pay close attention tomorrow!

My wheel ALWAYS turns off if I leave the car and come back. I turn it on in the morning, drop my kids off at preschool and I need to come back to turn it back on for my drive to work. This is a known "feature".

As for time-outs, maybe I'm wrong, but I felt like the last roadtrip I had to toggle it on/off myself, because it just seemed to stay on forever.

I had a 2013 MS VIN 25xxx equipped with it. You sig says VIN55801 - did they not offer it in Canada for a long time for some reason? Out of all places not to offer that, seems odd...
That seems very odd, my understanding was that the heated steering wheel was only available starting in fall 2014, and they started in certain regions, not until quite late 2014 did they offer it universally. Or is my memory out to lunch?

That said, this particular car doesn't have the cold weather package anyway, the steering wheel is the only part I miss (and it's funny to miss something I've never had, but that one loaner car!!)

- - - Updated - - -

My wheel ALWAYS turns off if I leave the car and come back. I turn it on in the morning, drop my kids off at preschool and I need to come back to turn it back on for my drive to work. This is a known "feature".
Too bad they can't get that feature for the passenger seat heater, I carry my wife in the car for an hour, and the seat heater is still on a week later until I notice it!

That seems very odd, my understanding was that the heated steering wheel was only available starting in fall 2014, and they started in certain regions, not until quite late 2014 did they offer it universally. Or is my memory out to lunch?

That said, this particular car doesn't have the cold weather package anyway, the steering wheel is the only part I miss (and it's funny to miss something I've never had, but that one loaner car!!)

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad they can't get that feature for the passenger seat heater, I carry my wife in the car for an hour, and the seat heater is still on a week later until I notice it!

I agree. It's inconsistent. Ironically, if it it's going to be inconsistent, I'd do it the other way. Wheel setting sticks, seats don't.

Heated steering wheel yes, it wasn't offered until later. My 2013 MS had subzero but no heated wheel. I didn't think I would care much for the wheel, but I've used it twice already and the winter is just starting here... I like it now. I agree about the seat heater persisting over multiple trips is not useful (I have also driven with it ON in the passenger seat for days sometimes). The other thing that is missing from the subzero package (or even non-subzero for that matter) is the ability to turn on defrosters from the phone app while pre-heating the car.