Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

real time range WOW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this weekend we fully charged our new XLR and it stopped at 348 miles. Sofar we have driven 224 miles and it shows 26 miles left, REALLY?? :oops: :oops:.
We own an S and a 3, so we know what real time means, but I had no idea that the X is THAT bad

The range is based on the EPA test which doesn't use AC nor heat, and overall is rather slow speeds. That's what all car manufacturers have to advertise. It doesn't line up with every day driving. The car also loses some energy when parked but has sentry mode on. But yeah Tesla also seems to fall short of their range numbers quite a bit. More so than other manufacturers.

So this weekend we fully charged our new XLR and it stopped at 348 miles. Sofar we have driven 224 miles and it shows 26 miles left, REALLY?? :oops: :oops:.
We own an S and a 3, so we know what real time means, but I had no idea that the X is THAT bad
It may be as simple as a poor alignment. What is your energy consumption? If it is more than roughly 270 Wh/mile, get your car aligned and try it again. Hills, wind and speed are much more impactful on a much larger, heavier vehicle like an X.

I've found that I can count on ~250 miles, running at a continuous 80 mph, in the summer. Winter driving is significantly less.

Last edited:
Reactions: David99
It may be as simple as a poor alignment. What is your energy consumption? If it is more than roughly 270 Wh/mile, get your car aligned and try it again. Hills, wind and speed are much more impactful on a much larger, heavier vehicle like an X.

I've found that I can count on ~250 miles, running at a continuous 80 mph, in the summer. Winter driving is significantly less.
On our (sofar), 800 mile distance we used a toal of 272kwh at an average energy of 328Wh/mi

I’m actually fairly impressed with our 23 MX. The wh/mi is under 300 so far and is actually looking a little more efficient than our MYP was. I’m not concerned with the “miles left”….I never relied on that for a gas vehicle either, but overall efficiency is pretty amazing for a vehicle of this size and power.

I’m actually fairly impressed with our 23 MX. The wh/mi is under 300 so far and is actually looking a little more efficient than our MYP was. I’m not concerned with the “miles left”….I never relied on that for a gas vehicle either, but overall efficiency is pretty amazing for a vehicle of this size and power.
Woa, how do you get under 300 in an X?

For some strange reason, my Model X gets far less range when driving it over 80 mph. In the city, it does amazing, with effective regeneration and low power consumption per mile. Imagine it will get even worse range when driving long distances at over 100 MPH. My gas cars used to get horrible mileage during cold weather as well. Believe it had something to do with the Choke being set to require the engine to run risk until a certain temperature was generated. Also noticed that my ICE vehicle took a long time before the heater would work. Frost would actually form on the inside of the windshield preventing safe driving until defrosters could produce warm air.

• Funny
Reactions: totoro722
For some strange reason, my Model X gets far less range when driving it over 80 mph. In the city, it does amazing, with effective regeneration and low power consumption per mile. Imagine it will get even worse range when driving long distances at over 100 MPH. My gas cars used to get horrible mileage during cold weather as well. Believe it had something to do with the Choke being set to require the engine to run risk until a certain temperature was generated. Also noticed that my ICE vehicle took a long time before the heater would work. Frost would actually form on the inside of the windshield preventing safe driving until defrosters could produce warm air.

It's not strange. Air is thicker when it gets cold and air is "thicker" when you drive fast. Try biking super fast against the wind...

Yeah, I AM guilty of driving upwards of 90 sometimes (its easy with this car)

New as in after 2020. Get your alignment checked.

Especially, if you don't get the range estimated by the in-car map navigator which takes into account estimated driving speeds and altitude changes (assuming you drive at regular speeds).
Actually, 2022 or newer (FKA the Palladium refresh). The refresh update changed a number of things that made the X much better from an energy perspective. It brought dual permanent magnet motors, that are much more powerful and consume less energy, and added the heat pump. Plus it will charge much faster, starting out at over 250 kw.

Reactions: Tiger and Prodock
Actually, 2022 or newer (FKA the Palladium refresh). The refresh update changed a number of things that made the X much better from an energy perspective. It brought dual permanent magnet motors, that are much more powerful and consume less energy, and added the heat pump. Plus it will charge much faster, starting out at over 250 kw.
There was no (less a few units) 2021 due to shutdown so "after 2020" is practically 2022 ;)

sounds normal. I have a 2022 model x plaid with 20 wheels rated at 333 miles of range but the rating was just lowered 326. real world road trip freeway range is about 200-260 miles depending on how fast you drive. The slower you drive the more stop and go traffic the better the efficiency and range. i have 22,000 miles on my model x plaid and my life time average is 341wh per mile. but for road trips when i'm crusing at 80-85 mph i normally average in the upper 300's or ever low 400's for watt hour per mile.