Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Signature Model X battery and range concerns in Oregon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 P90D Model X. I have told tesla about the degradation in range, and they remote check the batt pack and state that everything is normal. But my wife will not allow me to drive from Corvallis to sisters any more. We’ve also charged in Springfield, and it is hit or miss if we make it to sisters from the Mackenzie pass. You guys will see, these batteries degrade, and do not hold a charge especially in the winter. Range anxiety is a real issue, esp in winter. Last winter we supercharged in Springfield, and it said I would have 29% left when we got to sisters. As we progressed up the mountain, it changed to 19% left. Then started going down and down. By the time we were at hoodoo it said we would only have 2% left if we got to sisters. If it wasn’t for regen while going to down the mountain, we would have been stuck in the snow in winter. Even so, we did not make it to Sisters. We made it to black butte destination charger with 2 miles left in the “tank”. Changed for 15 minutes, and then made it to sisters. What the frick? This is why my son and wife will not let me drive to central Oregon any more. It was truly awful.

I have a 2016 P90D Model X. I have told tesla about the degradation in range, and they remote check the batt pack and state that everything is normal. But my wife will not allow me to drive from Corvallis to sisters any more. We’ve also charged in Springfield, and it is hit or miss if we make it to sisters from the Mackenzie pass. You guys will see, these batteries degrade, and do not hold a charge especially in the winter. Range anxiety is a real issue, esp in winter. Last winter we supercharged in Springfield, and it said I would have 29% left when we got to sisters. As we progressed up the mountain, it changed to 19% left. Then started going down and down. By the time we were at hoodoo it said we would only have 2% left if we got to sisters. If it wasn’t for regen while going to down the mountain, we would have been stuck in the snow in winter. Even so, we did not make it to Sisters. We made it to black butte destination charger with 2 miles left in the “tank”. Changed for 15 minutes, and then made it to sisters. What the frick? This is why my son and wife will not let me drive to central Oregon any more. It was truly awful.
If I were you, I would stop at the supercharger in Detroit. That way you can get some juice before you head over the mountain. Also, the battery tech has improved a lot since 2016 and even the heat pump is way more efficient in the newer cars. We used to drive a 2016 model X 75D that would not do good in winter and we ended up buying a model Y and noticed an huge improvement with range in winter temperatures.

Reactions: buckets0fun
What is your displayed range at 100% charge? 90%? And it isn't that they don't hold a charge in the cold, there are just more atmospheric things that going against you in the cold. Having it set to charge with a time of departure will help ensure you have a warmed battery for optimum range.

I have the same questions as MrBrock. Also, how fast are you driving?

My car has 359k miles on the odometer. You aren't telling me anything new about battery degradation or how Teslas perform in the cold.

You guys will see, these batteries degrade, and do not hold a charge especially in the winter. Range anxiety is a real issue, esp in winter. Last winter we supercharged in Springfield,
The way you are describing things it doesn't sound like battery degradation but instead it sounds like excessive energy usage. Do you have a rooftop box by chance? Brake caliper hung up? and as others have noted, speed? Rerouting through Springfield doesn't gain you much advantage as it's the same distance to SIsters from Springfield as it is from Corvallis with the same net elevation gain. As I mentioned above, both my S's, older than your car, with a smaller battery and I would posit, more miles and more supercharging, make that trip easily in all weather. A supercharger at the top of the pass is not going to happen, figure out why your energy usage is so high or get used to going through, and charging at, Detroit.

Nope. I dont have a rooftop gearbox. And I drive about 5-6 miles over the speed limit. I wish I could figure out why the energy usage is so high. I have had the car at the PDX service shop, and at the salem service shop. I have spoken to tesla service folks. They have repeatedly interrogated the batt pack, and they keep telling me that nothing is wrong. So what am I supposed to do? There is something wrong, and no one will ever be able to frickin figure it out. In the meantime, I am relegated to being the owner of a commuter EV, not an all-around multi-use EV. Even driving to Portland, I am lucky they just put a supercharger in wilsonville. Usually I would make it to the Salem or at the very least the Woodbury supercharger. But last time I was driving back from Portland, there’s no way I would have even made it to Woodburn. Thank goodness there is a wilsonville location now. I mean, what am I supposed to do? I have even told tesla that I would purchase a new batt pack for the car. And they wont even let me do that. Am I supposed to be able to figure out what is wrong on my own? I am not an electrical engineer.

• Disagree
Reactions: doghousePVD
Nope. I dont have a rooftop gearbox. And I drive about 5-6 miles over the speed limit. I wish I could figure out why the energy usage is so high. I have had the car at the PDX service shop, and at the salem service shop. I have spoken to tesla service folks. They have repeatedly interrogated the batt pack, and they keep telling me that nothing is wrong. So what am I supposed to do? There is something wrong, and no one will ever be able to frickin figure it out. In the meantime, I am relegated to being the owner of a commuter EV, not an all-around multi-use EV. Even driving to Portland, I am lucky they just put a supercharger in wilsonville. Usually I would make it to the Salem or at the very least the Woodbury supercharger. But last time I was driving back from Portland, there’s no way I would have even made it to Woodburn. Thank goodness there is a wilsonville location now. I mean, what am I supposed to do? I have even told tesla that I would purchase a new batt pack for the car. And they wont even let me do that. Am I supposed to be able to figure out what is wrong on my own? I am not an electrical engineer.
Can you answer a couple of simple questions? Some simple insights can help us give you a better idea of what is wrong. Testing at a service center will only tell you if degradation is worthy of a replacement battery, not whether or not your usage is abnormal.

What is the range displayed at your regular charge level (80%, 90%, etc)?

What is your lifetime average Wh/mile?

Can you answer a couple of simple questions? Some simple insights can help us give you a better idea of what is wrong. Testing at a service center will only tell you if degradation is worthy of a replacement battery, not whether or not your usage is abnormal.

What is the range displayed at your regular charge level (80%, 90%, etc)?

What is your lifetime average Wh/mile?

I'll add: what is your Wh/mile for the past six months or a year? Hopefully this will shed some light on if there is higher consumption than your historical average.

I'll add: what is your Wh/mile for the past six months or a year? Hopefully this will shed some light on if there is higher consumption than your historical average.

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8212.jpeg
IMG_8213.jpeg

OK. I took some screenshots. Of the average or projected miles. I don’t understand what it means 30 miles 15 miles or 5 miles average range projected 133 or 134 miles range. I don’t really know what that means. Also for the lifetime, I never use the trip navigator so it looks like for 18,869 miles, I have used 8083 kWh, and the average energy was 428 W per mile. And the odometer is 81,216 miles. I hope some of this is helpful. I actually do not know how to answer your questions about range for 80% charge 90% charge, etc. I don’t know how to get that information.

Reactions: Rocky_H
And it is 75% charged right now. Which states that a projected distance is 168 miles. Rated. Ideal projected 208 miles. Whatever that mean.
When you get the chance, could you toggle from percentage to miles in the Display tab of your Settings? It doesn't matter what percent you are at when you do this. If you give us both numbers at the same time, we will be able to determine how many Rated Miles your battery has at 100%, which will in turn help us determine your real world range.

Also, be sure that Rated Miles is selected and not Ideal Miles if your software version still has that. A software update got rid of Ideal Miles on my 2018 S but I suppose it could still be there on the 2016 X. Ideal Miles are a complete joke so it should never be selected, even if the toggle is there on your car's software.

An older performance X is probably the least efficient vehicle in the Tesla lineup (other than maybe the Cybertruck). Google says 1 Rated Mile = 380wH on a Performance X which seems reasonable to me. So your 428 wH/mi seems reasonable as basically no one averages 1 real mile/1 Rated Mile unfortunately. In my car, 1 rated mile = 275wH, but my very long term average is 335wH/mi so your ratio is actually slightly better than mine.

• Helpful
When you get the chance, could you toggle from percentage to miles in the Display tab of your Settings? It doesn't matter what percent you are at when you do this. If you give us both numbers at the same time, we will be able to determine how many Rated Miles your battery has at 100%, which will in turn help us determine your real world range.

Also, be sure that Rated Miles is selected and not Ideal Miles if your software version still has that. A software update got rid of Ideal Miles on my 2018 S but I suppose it could still be there on the 2016 X. Ideal Miles are a complete joke so it should never be selected, even if the toggle is there on your car's software.

An older performance X is probably the least efficient vehicle in the Tesla lineup (other than maybe the Cybertruck). Google says 1 Rated Mile = 380wH on a Performance X which seems reasonable to me. So your 428 wH/mi seems reasonable as basically no one averages 1 real mile/1 Rated Mile unfortunately. In my car, 1 rated mile = 275wH, but my very long term average is 335wH/mi so your ratio is actually slightly better than mine.

I didn’t really understand any of that what you just said. However, yes, my car still says ideal. So maybe the software update did not get rid of the ideal. However, I have it on rated. Percentage I can toggle with distance. The distance is 158 miles. The percentage is 71%. Otherwise, from your description, it appears that I am using more kilowatt hours per mile than other cars. Is that what your suggestion is? And it could be that these first generation model X cars were built very inefficient. Otherwise, is that the information you needed? Let me know if you guys need anything else.

I didn’t really understand any of that what you just said. However, yes, my car still says ideal. So maybe the software update did not get rid of the ideal. However, I have it on rated. Percentage I can toggle with distance. The distance is 158 miles. The percentage is 71%. Otherwise, from your description, it appears that I am using more kilowatt hours per mile than other cars. Is that what your suggestion is? And it could be that these first generation model X cars were built very inefficient. Otherwise, is that the information you needed? Let me know if you guys need anything else.
That equates to 222 miles at 100%. 250 miles was original so you are at 88.8% of new so that’s why Tesla says your battery is in good condition, and it is. Here is a “real life” estimate from EV Database:
1706545278698.png

The total trip is 106 miles with elevation gain but you should still do that no problem if you are fully charged. It sounds like you aren’t super familiar with longer trips in cold with elevation gain and are expecting the listed miles to be exactly what you get. Your car can make it, you just have to prepare. Charge to 100% right before you leave so the battery is warmed and you don’t use a lot of energy trying to warm the battery while you drive. Uphill you will want to be at or below the speed limit, find a semi to draft behind, things like that.

Also you have a pretty good average wh/mile, lower than many. It will always be higher than rated because rated is on a dyno in a warehouse at low to mid speed with no wind resistance.

The energy screen can be a really helpful tool if you have a destination plugged into the nav. It will show you the expected charge at your destination and track your progress. You can see if you are using more than expected energy based on real usage and not rated usage.

Lastly, if you still have the ideal range tab, are you updating the car software? What version are you on?

Reactions: TigardZ
That equates to 222 miles at 100%. 250 miles was original so you are at 88.8% of new so that’s why Tesla says your battery is in good condition, and it is. Here is a “real life” estimate from EV Database:
View attachment 1013253
The total trip is 106 miles with elevation gain but you should still do that no problem if you are fully charged. It sounds like you aren’t super familiar with longer trips in cold with elevation gain and are expecting the listed miles to be exactly what you get. Your car can make it, you just have to prepare. Charge to 100% right before you leave so the battery is warmed and you don’t use a lot of energy trying to warm the battery while you drive. Uphill you will want to be at or below the speed limit, find a semi to draft behind, things like that.

Also you have a pretty good average wh/mile, lower than many. It will always be higher than rated because rated is on a dyno in a warehouse at low to mid speed with no wind resistance.

The energy screen can be a really helpful tool if you have a destination plugged into the nav. It will show you the expected charge at your destination and track your progress. You can see if you are using more than expected energy based on real usage and not rated usage.

Lastly, if you still have the ideal range tab, are you updating the car software? What version are you on?
IMG_8215.jpeg

The firmware updates are all up to date. FYI.

It sounds to me like your car is operating normally. As mentioned above, your battery is at 88-89% of its original capacity, which is typical for a 90 kWh pack at this age. In my observations, 90s had faster initial degradation that levels off in later years.

Some recommendations for making it to Sisters on a single charge:
  • While plugged in, precondition vehicle from the app for fifteen minutes before leaving home
  • Leave home with >95% battery
  • Reduce speed to 5 over the speed limit or 70 MPH, whichever is lower
  • Have your alignment checked
I've requested that a moderator split this discussion out into its own thread.

OK great. Is preconditioning just doing climate control in the cabin for 15 minutes before leaving? We are driving from Corvallis to sisters this week on Friday. My wife is going to take her car as well so if I get stranded, at least I won’t be completely stranded. I will take you up on all of these suggestions. And I will report back.

I am not sure what the moderator splitting out this conversation on its own thread means?