Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right so with the latest update about delivery updates it looks pretty clear finally. Tesla have limited production ability and they want as much cash as quickly as possible. An $80,000 car takes the same space on the production line as a fully configured $150,000 machine so they are of course prioritising the P90D to get the maximum cashflow. That is business - they don't at this stage much care if you are reservation #7 or #7000.....if you order a P90D you are gonna jump any queue over a 70D or 90D.....even if you ordered one last week.

More interesting for me is that their target I think is to ship around 15,000 X cars by the end of June? At some stage they will hopefully get to 1,000 per week but clearly they are nowhere close to that. I suspect they will maybe ship 12,000 model X cars by the end of June and they will be almost all P90D orders. (they may knock up some 70D or 90D's for testing/showrooms/press etc).

Once they work through the 30,000+ current reservations who will accept a P90D they are then gonna also work through any P90D orders they pick up Jan/Feb/March/April 2016.

If you don't want a P90D you have kinda wasted your time/money reserving.......it's just gonna improve your place in line for the orders in late 2016, but by then they should be doing 1,000 cars a week - so I guess will get through the reservations by then end of the year maybe (because P90D's will still be jumping you in the queue even then).

I am disappointed in the price. Certainly the smaller battery size with 5 seats meets Elon's stated metric of being $5k more than the equivalent MS, but once you move up to the 90kwh battery and 7 seats, I will be paying $11500 more. I am not sure why anyone would want a MX with only 5 seats anyway. In that case, why wouldn't I just get the MS, which has better performance and more cargo storage with the seats down?

Although I understand Tesla's motivation for prioritizing the P90D, I am not happy about the forced choice of delaying delivery another 4-6 months or spending another $20k for performance that I don't really need.

I have been a MX reservation holder for >3 years and am now considering cancellation.

I highly doubt you can put skis under the 2nd row seats. The reason being is that the 3rd row seats sit on top of a hump that appears to house the motor and onboard AC charger. Even without the 3rd row seats, I would expect the hump to still be there. Therefore, I don't think it's possible to slide skis from the rear hatch and under the 2nd row.
I would not be so quick to rule that out. Without 3rd row seats, I can envision the possibility that skis could be angled downwards and slid under the 2nd row seats. The skis would not be parallel to the floor (they would be at about 25 degrees) but they would likely fit.
What is not yet clear to me is, with no 3rd row present, what occupies the space where the 3rd row seat bases sit? Is there just empty space, so that the trunk floor is lower in that area compared to the trunk floor over the drive unit?

I would not be so quick to rule that out. Without 3rd row seats, I can envision the possibility that skis could be angled downwards and slid under the 2nd row seats. The skis would not be parallel to the floor (they would be at about 25 degrees) but they would likely fit.
What is not yet clear to me is, with no 3rd row present, what occupies the space where the 3rd row seat bases sit? Is there just empty space, so that the trunk floor is lower in that area compared to the trunk floor over the drive unit?

Wasn't there mention of the (single) charger being there? Perhaps there's still a hump and gap between the second row

Try to move away from your personal requirements and look at the auto market as a whole. Many people buy CUVs that only seat 5 because they want the high driver seating position, higher ground clearance, and larger interior volume compared to a sedan.

The market for the 5-seat MX is going to be pretty small: higher ground clearance just isn't going to be worth the extra cost for most people. Yes, the cargo capacity of the MX with multiple passengers is better, but the MS has a great deal of storage and is a more flexible cargo carrier given the fold down seat option.

The issue isn't the $5k extra cost for the MX, it is the built in expense of standard options that you do not have to purchase on the S, like air suspension.

I doubt very much Tesla cares at this point.

Even if you are right, a comment like this just rubs salt in the wound and is unnecessary.

Yes. There is little reason for comments like this. People have been waiting for years and through several delays in the production of the X and it is disheartening to have comments that, while they may be true, do little to help the situation that many long time reservation holders face.

Good point. Now that's thinking over the box. I would expect that the top of the box will be covered with the same gray fabric material as the back of the 3rd row seats and the front face of the box. And yes, I would expect the top of the box to be the new "floor"/base, so you would have a few more inches of vertical space. I can't imagine putting anything else there.

I am disappointed in the price. Certainly the smaller battery size with 5 seats meets Elon's stated metric of being $5k more than the equivalent MS, but once you move up to the 90kwh battery and 7 seats, I will be paying $11500 more. I am not sure why anyone would want a MX with only 5 seats anyway. In that case, why wouldn't I just get the MS, which has better performance and more cargo storage with the seats down?

Although I understand Tesla's motivation for prioritizing the P90D, I am not happy about the forced choice of delaying delivery another 4-6 months or spending another $20k for performance that I don't really need.

I have been a MX reservation holder for >3 years and am now considering cancellation.

Welcome to the forum, CurrentRide.

I understand your frustration. As others have pointed out, there was a lot of this sort of confusion and disappointment when the Model S came out.

I would encourage you to express your concerns directly to Tesla in the most clear and constructive terms possible to muster. While they often do not show that they are listening, they usually are. Model S went through MANY iterations of pricing and bundling and unbundling of options while Tesla learned the shape and dimensions of their nascent and expanding market. They cannot offered to turn away a lot of early reservation holders.

Personally, and this is just a hunch, I think the delay for the non-P90 cars will be shorter than stated. I recognize that they have always felt they had to front-load the expensive configurations. This time, they are at least stating it upfront, whereas with Model S, those of us here had to discover it on our own. But I suspect they also are stating the nearly-worst-case scenario (timing-wise), accounting for very heavy buy-in to the P90 AFTER the signature series AND a continuing modest pace to the manufacturing ramp. If either or both of these assumptions does not play out by the end of the winter, I think we could see 90's delivered by early spring and even 70's by early summer.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm probably in the minority but glad I do not have to pay for the 3rd row seats which I never wanted. The price for the 6 and 7 seat configuration is to high imo.

I truly hope you're right about this, but I believe it would be the first time that Tesla delivered something earlier than promised. Usually things go the other way.

I think that shipping the more expensive P90D first is a genius decision for another reason. Those reservation holders that weren't consider paying more for the performance model may consider it now in order to get the vehicle in a more timely fashion. By staggering the models with the expensive versions first, they are maximizing P90D sales and hence profits. The part of me that decided to buy TSLA stock applauds this decision. The part of me that decided to put a deposit down almost 4 years ago is tormented over this decision.

There are probably many others like myself that were willing to bear the cost of a $100k car, but will struggle to justify $120 - 140k.
Agreed.

- - - Updated - - -

In the same boat. I hadn't even considered cancellation until I saw the higher than expected price and longer than expected delay on the 90D with 7 seats. I could stretch and get the P90D to shave a second off 0-60 and get the car a few months sooner, but it seems like an additional $20K is a lot to pay for those features. Well, that plus the cool spoiler and those fancy red brake calipers. :)