Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Production X Configuration Has Begun!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for only North Americans get invited so far, outside of the "quicker to ship so easier to deliver more and perhaps cheaper to fix any problems", is there a chance the X body is actually different outside of North America, perhaps because of the bumper regulations?

As for only North Americans get invited so far, outside of the "quicker to ship so easier to deliver more and perhaps cheaper to fix any problems", is there a chance the X body is actually different outside of North America, perhaps because of the bumper regulations?

Even if it's identical, it will have to go through homologation for the EU market. See this thread on the process for the S:
Homologation process for European Model S

I too received my invitation on 1/11, having reserved last August. I'm hesitating mainly because I'm 6'6" and broad (400# - I look like an ex-football player, but I'm not) and I've never purchased a vehicle without sitting in it first to make sure the driver's position was good and that I could get in and out without cracking my skull or adding new joints to my legs. I was hoping to be able to see one in person first, but I've called the Massachusetts Telsa locations and they haven't received and X - and don't expect to for a couple of months yet. Since the Model S was only a little too tight getting in and out I may just take the chance and order, banking on the taller stance and roofline of the X to alleviate that.

I'm thinking of going with a 90D 'Darth Vader' - Obsidian Black Metallic paint, black leather seats, black headliner, and carbon fiber trim - five seats, all the options, tow package, and 72A charger. I like the 22" Onyx wheels, but I fear Worcester, MA roads would eat them right up. So I'll probably get the standard silver wheels and maybe pick up some black 20" wheels aftermarket. As much as my inner 12 year old wants it, I can't really justify $20k for the P90D. Though if I could get the active spoiler as a standalone, I would. (I asked Tesla, they said no.) I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona currently, and while it is quick even the 90D is quicker.

If I could find a way to see a Model X in person around here, I would certainly do so. (If I could get work to fly me out to HQ in Seattle I know the local SC there has a few in for delivery, based on reports from a co-worker. But that's not likely in the next couple of months.)

I too received my invitation on 1/11, having reserved last August. I'm hesitating mainly because I'm 6'6" and broad (400# - I look like an ex-football player, but I'm not) and I've never purchased a vehicle without sitting in it first to make sure the driver's position was good and that I could get in and out without cracking my skull or adding new joints to my legs. I was hoping to be able to see one in person first, but I've called the Massachusetts Telsa locations and they haven't received and X - and don't expect to for a couple of months yet. Since the Model S was only a little too tight getting in and out I may just take the chance and order, banking on the taller stance and roofline of the X to alleviate that.

I'm thinking of going with a 90D 'Darth Vader' - Obsidian Black Metallic paint, black leather seats, black headliner, and carbon fiber trim - five seats, all the options, tow package, and 72A charger. I like the 22" Onyx wheels, but I fear Worcester, MA roads would eat them right up. So I'll probably get the standard silver wheels and maybe pick up some black 20" wheels aftermarket. As much as my inner 12 year old wants it, I can't really justify $20k for the P90D. Though if I could get the active spoiler as a standalone, I would. (I asked Tesla, they said no.) I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona currently, and while it is quick even the 90D is quicker.

If you were even considering an S then I can guarantee you that the MX will be way better for you getting in and out and in the seat room/comfort thing with your statue. Not even close.

If I could find a way to see a Model X in person around here, I would certainly do so. (If I could get work to fly me out to HQ in Seattle I know the local SC there has a few in for delivery, based on reports from a co-worker. But that's not likely in the next couple of months.)
[/COLOR]

For what it's worth, I'm 6ft 9in and 420lbs and I find sitting in the model s to be fine as long as there is an exit profile set to pull in the steering wheel on exit.

I sat in the passenger front seat of the model X at the reveal in September (Elon's).

I thought it was much roomier than the passenger side in the model s which I find quite squeezy.

I don't think you'd have any problem with driving position in the X, I certainly hope I don't.

IIRC you a few I495 exits away from the Dedham SC. Don't they have/will have an X that you might see?

Ha. This will totally crack up some people here. So please indulge me :)
[... story about clicking the 'order' button removed for brevity...]

And since everyone indulged me so nicely, let's add one more (and final) chapter to this story...

After personally having seen four more Model X (and my wife finally having managed to see one), we just cancelled the order (we're just within the mandatory 7 day cooling off period) and switched it to get a second Model S. Since no one is at work at Tesla inside sales (and when you call them, their voice mail box is full and you can't leave a message) we went to the mall to make the switch there (lest the auto-confirm were to get us with tomorrow being a holiday). Staff was super nice and friendly, and two different staff members said this (only very slightly paraphrased): "you are making the right decision, we are having terrible problems with the Model X, we are getting complaints over complaints from the new owners which is why the roll-out is being slowed down again, who knows when you would have gotten yours".

Now granted, we all know that the availability of "inside information" to staff at the mall stores is hit or miss (frankly mostly miss) - and they may have just wanted to be nice and supportive to our insanely stupid decision to give up the reservation for the best car in the world, to be delivered "maybe at some point whenever" for a promised delivery of a new Model S 85D before we need to return the leased Leaf... but I thought it was yet another interesting sound bite. And reading along on the Model X FB group every day presents you with yet another new owner with tales of woe. Doors that don't open, seats that don't move, keys that stop working...

Anyway, I'll step back from Model X for a while and watch everyone get their cars. And I'll try not to be seen when I cry. Because it is an amazingly beautiful car.

aesculus - Thanks. That's what I figured, but I get a little more nervous when the cost gets into six figures. The only other thing I've purchased in that territory is my house.

spentan - That's reassuring. It sounds like we're in the same ballpark sizewise, so if you're good I should be as well.

AIMc - I've called Dedham (and Needham) a few times. They've said each time they don't have a Model X in yet and when asked when they might they said maybe in 1-2 months.

Cobra Kai - Hah! George Street is one of my favorite roads to blast up in my Charger. But I really like the onramp from Plantation St. onto I290. Long, straight, and uphill - and you merge into the highway so none of that pesky having to stop at the end. Just not as steep. And yeah, I first moved to Worcester in 1989 for college (WPI). I moved away in 1995, but I moved back to MA in 1998, and to Worcester in 2002. I ended up buying a house in Greendale in 2005 and I'm still here. Lots and lots of changes to this city over 20 years - but the roads still suck. It sounds like we'll have similar Xs - only I'm looking at 90D and carbon fiber inside.

Thanks again for the replies.

AIMc - I've called Dedham (and Needham) a few times. They've said each time they don't have a Model X in yet and when asked when they might they said maybe in 1-2 months.

They won't have one in for demo/sales purposes until then but they do have deliveries coming through the service center. I went to Dedham a couple weeks ago to look at different seat/headliner combinations on some Model S's before finalizing my X order, and was able to see a few X's in different colors (blue, titanium, white) through a big window from the service dept reception area. I don't care too much about driving one as I have an S, but would have liked to try sitting in the middle and back seats in particular.

Perhaps one of the owners taking delivery from Dedham will kindly show off his/her car to those of us waiting. But the reality is that sitting in a car wouldn't have changed my intent to order whatsoever, so I went ahead - it confirmed last week.

Thanks, maybe I'll see if they'll let me come check out an X in for delivery.

But I pulled the trigger anyway:
Model X 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
20" Silver Wheels
Black Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Décor
Black Headliner
Five Seat Interior
Supercharger Enabled
High Amperage Charger Upgrade
Autopilot Convenience Features
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Towing Package

Thanks, maybe I'll see if they'll let me come check out an X in for delivery.

But I pulled the trigger anyway:
Model X 90D
All-Wheel Drive
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
20" Silver Wheels
Black Leather Seats
Carbon Fiber Décor
Black Headliner
Five Seat Interior
Supercharger Enabled
High Amperage Charger Upgrade
Autopilot Convenience Features
Premium Upgrades Package
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package
Towing Package
Congrats! Should be a sweet ride. The 5-seat config might delay things a bit, but since you're getting the 90D and not the P90D, you'll be waiting a while anyway (like me). I went with black/black interior too but went with figured ash for a little contrast there. The carbon fiber does look pretty slick and high tech.

-CB