Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I remember from 2011-2016 the pricing and accessories stayed largely the same. Now and then they would add things like cup holders or USB ports but nothing to get excited about. Elon famously even said everybody pays the same price for their Tesla - there are no discounts or friends and family programs.

Man things are different now. In the last 12 months we've seen 80% off on battery upgrades, sweeping discounts and changes to the accessory packages, and who can forget the great Q3 AP1.0 firesale that Elon had no idea was happening.

You just never know when you're getting the best deal on a Tesla anymore. How do you think a guy who took delivery last month is feeling right now?

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Tesla really deserves a pat on the back. My July 6th order will have all the new standard features added, lighting, smart air suspension, etc. **AND** I was given a $1000 showroom discount because of ordering Premium Sound for $2500, they put the value at $1500 in the new premium package. In case anyone is curious these are the specs of my order:
MS 75
Sunroof (I need to add a roof rack for surfing)
Multipattern Seats(standard)
Premium Sound
Enhanced Auto Pilot
I ordered July 6th, Final July 10th.
Last 6 of VIN 209335

Roads near beaches in Hawaii are a little suspect. SAS will definitely come in handy. I am very pleased with this car. There is nothing in premium pkg I need unless NK sends a Bio Weapon to HI.
Let us know what your battery sticker shows when you get it. (Look on the passenger side behind the front tire and it's pretty clearly labeled. No need to Jack it up or turn the wheel. We are still trying to figure out the upgraded performance whether it's a battery or inverter

You mean the headlights that are rated POOR by the IIHS? lol... hope they fix those soon.
This could be the reason for standard fog lights, rather than keeping them in PUP. Both fog lights and adaptive headlights improve the in off-axis visibility of the MS approaching around the corner. Making them standard could improve the IIHS results a lot.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for an answer from my advisor, but is it possible to drop the 1k discount to get the SAS and lighting? My spec sheet on a July 11 order shows the discount, but not the other features. To be fair, the spec sheet on a new order doesn't show the SAS or lighting either.
I just heard from my advisor. Because my car is in the pre-production phase (ordered 7/8) the parts have already been ordered. Only new orders here on out will have the standard options. The only way to get it in my car would be to cancel the order, lose the $2500, and reorder the car. The $1000 discount is all we get. You can't even attempt to pay the $500 fee for a change order.

I just heard from my advisor. Because my car is in the pre-production phase (ordered 7/8) the parts have already been ordered. Only new orders here on out will have the standard options. The only way to get it in my car would be to cancel the order, lose the $2500, and reorder the car. The $1000 discount is all we get. You can't even attempt to pay the $500 fee for a change order.

Fair enough. I'm a little put out on the SAS, but if I understood correctly, new orders require a sunroof for XM vs old orders being able to have glass-roof and ultra hi-fi. I hope!

I'm waiting for an answer from my advisor, but is it possible to drop the 1k discount to get the SAS and lighting? My spec sheet on a July 11 order shows the discount, but not the other features. To be fair, the spec sheet on a new order doesn't show the SAS or lighting either.

Yeah you can. But from how my advisor explained it, that would require you to essentially start over the order process and could push back delivery by a few weeks; depending where you are located obviously, I'm in the southwest

My OA actually said differently. I ordered 6/29 and he said I can get the $1000 discount or else cancel and reorder with NO penalty on the deposit. I would still keep the $2500. The only loss here is a few weeks off delivery since it'll be a new order

My OA said exactly the same thing. Ordered July 8th and confirmed the 11th. Only option now is to cancel and re-order and lose the $2500 deposit.

I remember from 2011-2016 the pricing and accessories stayed largely the same. Now and then they would add things like cup holders or USB ports but nothing to get excited about. Elon famously even said everybody pays the same price for their Tesla - there are no discounts or friends and family programs.

Man things are different now. In the last 12 months we've seen 80% off on battery upgrades, sweeping discounts and changes to the accessory packages, and who can forget the great Q3 AP1.0 firesale that Elon had no idea was happening.

You just never know when you're getting the best deal on a Tesla anymore. How do you think a guy who took delivery last month is feeling right now?

I'm that guy and it really sucks and has been stressing me out daily. This is the first time i've ever purchased a brand new car and my first Tesla vehicle (S 75D). I confirmed my build on June 3rd and had a delivery time of July-August. Few days later my DS told me they have an inventory model (April 24 build) and suggested I take that to get it sooner. As I have told my story on the forums already, I asked the DS if there would be any changes between the inventory build VS my July/August build and was told there would be no difference. I went on taking the inventory model instead of my build because of this and now I got totally screwed and am in a large discussion with Tesla about this as I was lied to and feel like I was pushed to take the inventory model because they knew of all these changes that are coming in July which I would have benefited from had my build been left alone. I would also probably be getting that additional $1000 showroom discount or air suspension included. Either would have been great.

I really feel like late April, May, and early June builds got screwed and why they probably were pushing those models before July. July had good updates with the new batteries/motor, improved seats, air suspension and LED lighting being included as standard. I don't get why air suspension was removed as an option for like 3 months and now is standard. I really wanted it but the 100 wasn't an option for me.

So yea not happy with my experience.

I just talked with my OA. I have a July 5 confirmation date. He said they are unsure of what will be on the car at delivery time. As of now to expect what I ordered to be on the car if anything is added it will be a bonus. I truly believe they are trying to tell you what you want to hear and are not 100% sure because they don't have that information.
I will be happy with the car I ordered and the extra $1000 discount for good/bad timing. If I get SAS and lighting I will be thrilled.

Smart air suspension is now back for the 75, and not only that it is standard. Also it seems PUP no longer includes any of the lightning/additional luxuries in the car. Its now the HEPA filter, The premium audio and the Subzero. No mention of any interieur changes.

Additionally, prices in the Netherlands have been lowered on everything (the cars as well as the options). My guess is its an update to better reflect the current EUR/USD exchange rates.

The enhanced lighting that used to be a part of the premium package is now standard.

Quick question for those of us on the fence: How often do these "adjustments" happen on the Tesla MS configurator? Do you see a significant change sometime next year after the M3 becomes their mass market vehicle (maybe a more "premium" MS)??

Several times every quarter. Most but not all leaning to the early part of the quarter so cars can be made and delivered within the same quarter at least in the US. And of course that late quarter delivery means lots more will change right after you take delivery...

Yeah, never is a good time to buy a Tesla...

Last edited:
I'm that guy and it really sucks and has been stressing me out daily. This is the first time i've ever purchased a brand new car and my first Tesla vehicle (S 75D). I confirmed my build on June 3rd and had a delivery time of July-August. Few days later my DS told me they have an inventory model (April 24 build) and suggested I take that to get it sooner. As I have told my story on the forums already, I asked the DS if there would be any changes between the inventory build VS my July/August

You got sucked into Tesla's quarterly sales games.

That is very common.

Reactions: u00mem9
It doesn't always happen, but Tesla is more likely to make major changes to the cars in the early part of a quarter. They also are busting their hump to get cars out the door as quickly as possible at the end of a quarter.

The tech is constantly changing and it's not going to stop. If you don't want your car to be obsolete in 6 months, don't buy a Tesla. Buy another maker that does normal car years and buy a car early in it's production run.

I ordered my car in late April 2016 and took delivery in early June. By Tesla standards, my car is obsolete. But so what? I have the second best car in the world, again so what? Having the 335 miles of range with the S 100D is the only change that has come along in the last year that I really would want. The rest is just bits and bobs.

I ordered late enough to ensure the changes from early April were stable and early enough to avoid the end of quarter rush. My car has been very reliable and I've had a year of the best driving experiences of my life.

I do wish they avoided the end of quarter rush. They have to play that game to please the stockholders and it's wrong. The tech is going to evolve and you have to accept that. Their tech will stabilize eventually. It always happens, but it can take a while, probably a decade or more minimum.

I'm that guy and it really sucks and has been stressing me out daily. This is the first time i've ever purchased a brand new car and my first Tesla vehicle (S 75D). I confirmed my build on June 3rd and had a delivery time of July-August. Few days later my DS told me they have an inventory model (April 24 build) and suggested I take that to get it sooner. As I have told my story on the forums already, I asked the DS if there would be any changes between the inventory build VS my July/August build and was told there would be no difference. I went on taking the inventory model instead of my build because of this and now I got totally screwed and am in a large discussion with Tesla about this as I was lied to and feel like I was pushed to take the inventory model because they knew of all these changes that are coming in July which I would have benefited from had my build been left alone. I would also probably be getting that additional $1000 showroom discount or air suspension included. Either would have been great.

I really feel like late April, May, and early June builds got screwed and why they probably were pushing those models before July. July had good updates with the new batteries/motor, improved seats, air suspension and LED lighting being included as standard. I don't get why air suspension was removed as an option for like 3 months and now is standard. I really wanted it but the 100 wasn't an option for me.

So yea not happy with my experience.

You could go back years in this forum and see the exact same scenario playing over repeatedly, with all manner of significant upgrades. Tesla makes various promotions to get sales by such and such a date. This car/ this feature / this whatever won't be available after this date. And then something new hits the floor immediately afterward.

Here's the consolation... In 6 months all of the people who got in with this upgrade will be kicking themselves that they didn't wait until the next upgrade. And in a year, both groups will have an obsolete car, and nobody will remember the relatively small differences between this year's iterations because they'll be focusing on next year's iterations. :)

But they're all great cars, and better than anything else out there.

You could go back years in this forum and see the exact same scenario playing over repeatedly, with all manner of significant upgrades. Tesla makes various promotions to get sales by such and such a date. This car/ this feature / this whatever won't be available after this date. And then something new hits the floor immediately afterward.

Here's the consolation... In 6 months all of the people who got in with this upgrade will be kicking themselves that they didn't wait until the next upgrade. And in a year, both groups will have an obsolete car, and nobody will remember the relatively small differences between this year's iterations because they'll be focusing on next year's iterations. :)

But they're all great cars, and better than anything else out there.

I get it. But the fact of the matter is I asked a question and was not given a truthful response and based my decision on that response. Only wish I asked it on an email and have told Tesla I want all communications done via email or text from now on as I don't trust them anymore on their promises. Kinda sad actually.