Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pricing changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla really deserves a pat on the back. My July 6th order will have all the new standard features added, lighting, smart air suspension, etc. **AND** I was given a $1000 showroom discount because of ordering Premium Sound for $2500, they put the value at $1500 in the new premium package. In case anyone is curious these are the specs of my order:
MS 75
Sunroof (I need to add a roof rack for surfing)
Multipattern Seats(standard)
Premium Sound
Enhanced Auto Pilot
I ordered July 6th, Final July 10th.
Last 6 of VIN 209335

Roads near beaches in Hawaii are a little suspect. SAS will definitely come in handy. I am very pleased with this car. There is nothing in premium pkg I need unless NK sends a Bio Weapon to HI.

Tesla really deserves a pat on the back. My July 6th order will have all the new standard features added, lighting, smart air suspension, etc. **AND** I was given a $1000 showroom discount because of ordering Premium Sound for $2500, they put the value at $1500 in the new premium package. In case anyone is curious these are the specs of my order:
MS 75
Sunroof (I need to add a roof rack for surfing)
Multipattern Seats(standard)
Premium Sound
Enhanced Auto Pilot
I ordered July 6th, Final July 10th.
Last 6 of VIN 209335

Roads near beaches in Hawaii are a little suspect. SAS will definitely come in handy. I am very pleased with this car. There is nothing in premium pkg I need unless NK sends a Bio Weapon to HI.

Are you sure you get the sas and lighting along with the $1000 credit. My advisor said it's one or the other.

• Informative
Reactions: Quick2Judge
Tesla really deserves a pat on the back. My July 6th order will have all the new standard features added, lighting, smart air suspension, etc. **AND** I was given a $1000 showroom discount because of ordering Premium Sound for $2500, they put the value at $1500 in the new premium package.

Just curious, how how do you know this? I ordered mine on July 8th and was wondering if I would get the new standard options or how that would work. I have see the new $1000 showroom credit on my specs but, otherwise, see no change on my sheet.

Just curious, how how do you know this? I ordered mine on July 8th and was wondering if I would get the new standard options or how that would work. I have see the new $1000 showroom credit on my specs but, otherwise, see no change on my sheet.

Yep. I'm in same boat as you. Ordered July 11th. My OA claims my car will come exactly as ordered with no smart air suspension. Hoping he's wrong.

• Love
Reactions: MIT_S60
Just for chuckles, I dug out my window sticker from 2 years ago this week, and compared what I paid for my 2015 70D with what it would cost today for the same configuration, or as close as I could get.
It was not an exact comparison, though, because of the way the option packages have changed.
My car as sold cost $87,450, including destination charge. Total the 75D would cost $87,500 with essentially the same options, omitting the Premium Upgrade Package. For that price, the new car would have kwh more capacity and better performance, Enhanced Autopilot vs. AP1 (but not full self-driving), today's premium seats vs. my leather, with SAS and all the previously extra-cost premium interior and lighting features at no extra cost.
The former sub-zero package turns out to be the tie breaker for me. That cost me (only) $1000 in 2015, but to get it now requires the new PUP at a price of $5000, driving the total cost to $92,500. Of course, as others have said, the PUP now gets you the upgraded audio as well as the cold-weather features, plus the HEPA air filtration.
So, more value now in the base configuration, but a big price tag if you want cold weather but not the other PUP features....

• Informative
Reactions: democappy
Three years ago today I ordered my P85. It cost $113,720 before tax and such. It was tricked out with most everything except rear facing seats, the most expensive paint, and fancy wheels. If I were to get the closest equivalent today it would be a 75D with everything except rear facing seats, the most expensive paint, and fancy wheels, costing $92,000. It would be better in most ways, the only negatives being losing about 8 miles of EPA range and getting a smaller frunk due to AWD, and losing my carbon fiber spoiler and red brake calipers. Oh, I'd also go from a 4.1s 0-60 to 4.2s, but my P85 was 4.2s when I got it, only improving with a software update later. If I went with the 100D then the only downside would be the smaller frunk and spoiler and red caliper, and I'd get a huge increase in range to go with all the other improvements, for $115,000. The price increase would be just over 1%, less than three years of inflation.

As it turned out, I got one of the first cars built with autopilot, so I'd be improving from that rather than nothing. So the closest comparable includes EAP but not FSD.

It's pretty incredible how much Tesla has improved the car in three short years for no increase in price. From little things like power close on the charge port door and a larger sun visor; to nice things like the LTE upgrade, center console, heated steering wheel, LED headlights and fog lights, HEPA air filtration, slipstream wheels, and new nose design; to big deals like bigger and better batteries, FSD sensors and computer, premium seats, and all wheel drive. A new Model S now is clearly cheaper and much better than when I got mine.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Quick question for those of us on the fence: How often do these "adjustments" happen on the Tesla MS configurator? Do you see a significant change sometime next year after the M3 becomes their mass market vehicle (maybe a more "premium" MS)??

Quick question for those of us on the fence: How often do these "adjustments" happen on the Tesla MS configurator?

Reliably the first day of each quarter a big change comes.
Just as reliably the last 6 week of the quarter won't have any changes.
Other than that ehh mmmm. Eeeee. Sometimes? Guessing post Model 3 unveil is a good guess...at this point I would wait.

Quick question for those of us on the fence: How often do these "adjustments" happen on the Tesla MS configurator? Do you see a significant change sometime next year after the M3 becomes their mass market vehicle (maybe a more "premium" MS)??

These changes happen as least once every three months. They will continue upgrading the MS. I expect soft close doors, self presenting doors as a premium option just like what MX has now, front door pockets, storage in the arm rest, 75D will be a software limited 85D and it will be eventually phased out just like the 60D. Order a MS today, don't be surprised if the configuration changes before you take delivery, especially if you're outside North America.

Edit: here's my timeline.
Ordered a 60D early April knowingly it will be discontinued because I didn't need the range and thought it was a 7K savings when it's really 2K after the price drop on April 17. Fortunately ordered sunroof, otherwise, would have lucked out on the included glass roof standard equipment.
May 20, they gave me free supercharging.
July 1, 1 second 0-60 performance increase.
July 22. New configuration. New features standard. No price changes.

Just like an iPhone, you know a new one is coming out every September. It's 1K and those of us who can afford a MS can get a new iPhone every year, just a matter if we want to. As for a MS, it's a USD80K+ car. Hard to keep up with the latest and greatest every 3 years, nvm every 3 months. You'll get more value for your money if you're willing to wait, but you keep waiting, you'll never get one. The time to get a MS is now and there's never a best time to get a MS. Those who ordered early July pulled the trigger for the 1s performance increase. Now they wonder if they'll get SAS. This game with Tesla will never end.

Last edited:
One interesting observation that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. With this latest change, Tesla has limited the number of possible configurations, and even further limited the number of possible hardware configurations (wasn't this a selling point for Model S that Elon was making recently when comparing Model S to Model 3?). If you look at the configurator, there are basically only 7 hardware options:
  1. battery size (2 choices)
  2. exterior color (7 choices)
  3. interior decor color combo (5 choices + 1 extra on 75's)
  4. roof (2 choices)
  5. wheels (3 choices)
  6. PUP (2 choices [y/n])
  7. rear seats (2 choices [y/n])
That makes for a lot less combinations than in the past ("only" 1848 total possible combinations today). The other 2 options (EAP/FSD) are pure software so it doesn't really affect production. This should help streamline Tesla's production, as well as inventory management. The worst part of Tesla buying experience is the wait for a custom build and the inability to close on the numbers for the car because they will not guarantee trade-in value until the new car is delivered. This will allow them to keep inventory stocked in most configuration options, or at least close enough that people will just buy inventory. That is what traditional car manufacturers do.

Last edited:
I ordered an inventory X last Monday that just finished production a couple days ago. Saw the changes to pricing and options this morning and was a little frustrated since a new X with the same specs would be $1,250 less. Just checked my mytesla account and was happy to see that I received a showroom adjustment of $2,750. Pleasantly surprised that Tesla made this change.

Are you sure you get the sas and lighting along with the $1000 credit. My advisor said it's one or the other.

I'm waiting for an answer from my advisor, but is it possible to drop the 1k discount to get the SAS and lighting? My spec sheet on a July 11 order shows the discount, but not the other features. To be fair, the spec sheet on a new order doesn't show the SAS or lighting either.