Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Next Billion Miles campaign is a bit more than just test drives. It will let you talk with actual Tesla owners, and feature what they call "experience stations". This is from their press email today.

"Tesla Invites America to Join the Next Billion

Tesla Motors Brings the Experience of Living With Model S to Cities Across America

PALO ALTO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/16/15 -- On the heels of Tesla's (NASDAQ: TSLA) recent announcement that Model S worldwide has driven more than one billion miles, Tesla kicks off The Next Billion Tour to give customers across the country the opportunity to get behind the wheel of Model S and experience the benefits of going electric.
Guests are invited to experience the exhilarating performance and handling of Model S and hear from local owners about owning and driving a Tesla. In addition to offering test drives in Model S, Tesla experience stations will highlight: Model S features including Tesla's pioneering Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive and Autopilot technology, Tesla's over-the-air updates, Tesla's revolutionary approach to car and customer service, and the ease of charging a Model S at home and on the road. "

Ron
SigX #1015

I think it's related to the "Next Billion Miles" nationwide tour event. If he says the X will be available for test drives at the tour cities, well, everyone will go ape**** including the media in all those cities. Heck people will be on jets within the hour, flying to Pittsburgh, first stop on the tour this weekend.

Then again..... Friday is, as any West Wing viewer knows, "Take Out The Trash Day" in terms of news. So I agree there is a possibility of bad news tomorrow. I hope not, the stock will plummet to $200 or less.

If it's software-related or autopilot update, not so interesting to me.

But given the timing of Next Billion Miles, I'm thinking that's it... autopilot for sure, and maybe X.

This will be the Model X reveal, and announcing a time line for design studio and deliveries. I don't think Elon himself would lead a press conference for a firmware upgrade alone or announcing a new CFO. I would not be surprised if a firmware change were announced at the same time. What have been the subjects of previous Elon TM press conferences in the last 2 years?

Tesla would not invite the press to "call in" for an X reveal. The X reveal would be an on-stage thing with all-hands-on-deck. Big splash.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's related to the "Next Billion Miles" nationwide tour event. If he says the X will be available for test drives at the tour cities, well, everyone will go ape**** including the media in all those cities. Heck people will be on jets within the hour, flying to Pittsburgh, first stop on the tour this weekend.

Then again..... Friday is, as any West Wing viewer knows, "Take Out The Trash Day" in terms of news. So I agree there is a possibility of bad news tomorrow. I hope not, the stock will plummet to $200 or less.

If it's software-related or autopilot update, not so interesting to me.

But given the timing of Next Billion Miles, I'm thinking that's it... autopilot for sure, and maybe X.

Tesla won't be inviting the press to call into a press conference to give out bad news. Any bad news regarding X would be left to the quarterly investor call. You don't hold a press release to announce bad news - only good news.

How about the announcement of an acquisition by Google? :)

Maybe Tesla will announce the number of orders it has received for the Powerwall and Powerpack? Pre-releasing earnings seems very possible.

I suppose it's possible Elon might be tempted to sell Tesla to Google if Google is willing to take advantage of its stock price to raise $100-$200 billion to buy Tesla, as long as Elon stays on as the head of the Tesla team. I guess anything is possible. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It could be an announcement about Model X delays. I hope not, but we can't rule it out.

I'd wager Tesla is revising guidance down to 50K and makes the announcement that Model X is going into production end of this quarter, and it's going to be a great car.

Why else have a Friday announcement a couple weeks before the earnings call?

Tesla would not invite the press to "call in" for an X reveal. The X reveal would be an on-stage thing with all-hands-on-deck. Big splash.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla won't be inviting the press to call into a press conference to give out bad news. Any bad news regarding X would be left to the quarterly investor call. You don't hold a press release to announce bad news - only good news.

How about the announcement of an acquisition by Google? :)
i would be disappointed if this happened, Elon is not in this for the money and I believe he wants to change transportation in a big way, so he needs to stay until that is realized with the Model 3.

Now you've done it! Speculation for the next 18 hours, running to 12 pages.

Ha, 12 pages?

My guess is that this thread will reach 35 pages by the moment the press conference starts. And I'm assuming that the press conference will start late (resulting in a few extra pages of pant twisting here) because that's another kind of time target that Elon can't hit.

That page count will including merges from the other new threads that are popping up every 15 minutes. Thank you mods! :)

Any other bets? Winner gets a Founder series Model X.

What is a "call in" press conference? Is there a way for us to tap in like the quarterly financial releases? Many of us got stuck on the phone for the "anxiety elimination" call only to find out that we had called the wrong number.

- - - Updated - - -

There's another thread with way more responses already. Hope this thread can merge with that one.

What thread?

fwiw, I'm not assuming it will be anything about the X (though I'd love to be surprised). If he were showing the X, it would not be a phone-in press conference. He'd want people (i.e., photographers) there to see the X.

I'm thinking financials-related, new factory to be built oversees (Asia maybe), something like that.

I know you can't admit it Bonnie, but you've signed a NDA, already used the X's design studio to configure, and you and the other nine of the first 10 signature holders receive their Model X tomorrow. And you've been threatened with delayed delivery if you don't misdirect us all.:biggrin:

Well, we can all wish for that.

Let me add my ridiculous guess to the list: Press conference is to announce VIN# 100,000 assignment.

This has my vote as being included in the call. There might be some other announcements as well but I'm not expecting anything earth shattering.

Probably updated X timeline news, and probably news about the roadster battery update. Maybe something to update everyone on where Tesla Energy powerwall stuff is in the pipeline, and gigafactory expansion plans.

Not much else.

I believe that I observed a Tesla Model S using full autopilot today on 280N just north of Palo Alto Also, in the last few days, I've observed an increase in Model S vehicles with MFG plates during busy rush hour around that area. Given the timing of the announcement tomorrow, I think that the limits of autopilot are being tested in real world environments.

I watched the car driving for about 20 miles from the front and from the side before it exited near Pacifica. The car had two passengers and the driver did not put hands within view at any time during the drive.

At first, I did not think it was using autopilot until it started doing lane changes and then it became obvious that it was. The car did smooth lane change but does not accelerate or brake while it's doing so. The lane change happens at the same lateral speed both left and right and does it exactly the same way, every time.

I think the limits were being tested because their car would wait until there was 1.5 car lengths available in the adjacent lane and then perform the lane change. Many of the lane changes took place in "dangerous" situations where I wouldn't have merged with such little buffer, but that's precisely what I believe that they were testing.

I took some video of the drive but I only caught one lane change and it was without other cars around. Happy to post it if it is requested, though. Funny part was while I was filming the video, there was 4 Model S sedans (if you include mine) all in a row.

It's worth pointing out that the press conference is during market hours, so it must be something that is not expected to have a significant impact on share price. Most announcements with financial bearing take place after hours.

I think this will be related to the next major software update, since the last time they had a call-in press conference was for a similar update. Of course I'm hoping for something X-related as well, but agree that any sort of reveal would be done in person and not over the phone.