Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

Have you had to have your 12V battery replaced?

• No

Votes: 269 49.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 213 39.2%
  • Yes, more than once

Votes: 62 11.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's what it looks like: Power inverter question, in the early Model S's it was in the passenger wheel well, later models they moved it up centered behind the frunk. It's the silver device with the red grommet cover and yellow warning stickers. You can get them used on eBay for about $500

2012 - 2015 TESLA MODEL S DC DC CONVERTER ASSEMBLY UNIT 6009170-00-J 600917000J | eBay

model-s-passenger-side-wheel-well-png.203638
Thanks for the info. Had no idea it was available outside of Tesla. We just went out and slapped the port door shut that they said needed replacement now it’s working again. Thanks to all who help with info on this forum it’s a great source for knowledge.

I looks like it is can bus controlled (note the signal wire in the upper left of the picture), it probably needs to be "paired", but either way you could install it with you own labor then just have them do the 15 minute update on the main screen. $500 vs $2400 is a worth a try.

Will you get any indication when the 12V is starting to go? I've still got my original '17 and no issues. I don't want to get bricked at the wrong time for a $250 battery.

no. will just happen after the car wakes up and notices the 12V is almost discharged.
As I mentioned before since 2020ish you cannot brick the car anymore with the 12v going flat - the car will simply keep the DCDC converter engaged forever - this means in effect that the car cant sleep anymore.