Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Police Call: Child in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what happens to the person who makes the mistake of calling the cops for something like this? Maybe it doesn't happen enough for it to me an issue.

Nearly every time the kids jump in the trunk someone walking by mentions how cool those seats are.

And the kids always insist on closing the hatch themselves with the button so they essentially put themselves in the trunk ;)

I recognize the fact that the police had the right to ask to see the driver's license, and also very possibly the need to see it, in order to complete their paperwork, or to properly complete their procedures. That's fine. But by the time the officer asked for it he knew that the driver clearly had done nothing wrong. So why not, as he's asking for the driver's license, simply add something along the lines of, "it's just so we can complete our paperwork, since someone called this in", or something along those lines, to put the driver more at ease?

I'm not suggesting anyone did anything wrong--only that it could have been handled just a little bit better.

I recognize the fact that the police had the right to ask to see the driver's license, and also very possibly the need to see it, in order to complete their paperwork, or to properly complete their procedures. That's fine. But by the time the officer asked for it he knew that the driver clearly had done nothing wrong. So why not, as he's asking for the driver's license, simply add something along the lines of, "it's just so we can complete our paperwork, since someone called this in", or something along those lines, to put the driver more at ease?

I'm not suggesting anyone did anything wrong--only that it could have been handled just a little bit better.

The one time I had the cops show up for something like this (wasn't a kid in the backseat), they asked for my drivers license to see if I had any outstanding warrants, and to check if my drivers license was valid. The cops did tell me that's what they needed my drivers license was for.

Really a difficult subject. Child abductions are unfortunately a real issue, I see many public announcements here in the LA area about them. At the same time you really don't want to deal with the L.A. police department when they think you have abducted a child and stop you.

Child kidnappings are one of the most overblown issues IMHO. Less than 100/year by strangers. Being killed in a plane crash is more likely. People need to chill.

The one time I had the cops show up for something like this (wasn't a kid in the backseat), they asked for my drivers license to see if I had any outstanding warrants, and to check if my drivers license was valid. The cops did tell me that's what they needed my drivers license was for.

So treated like a criminal until proven innocent. Stop and present your papers.

Yes and from the beginning of the video he was clearly in sight of the lead police car while still on the street.
If you listen to the video, the cops clearly stated that some had called in the plate and they went to the owner's home and waited for him to show up. So yes, they clearly saw him driving the car on public roads.

I take it you're not a parent. If you were, you'd probably be the first one on the phone to 911.

So becoming a parent makes you forget how to do math? Given the statistics, if you call the cops on someone, you're 10 times more likely to be killing someone by-cop than saving a child being abducted by a stranger. There's no statistics on how many people are non-fatally assaulted by cops, tazered, shot, hit with batons, otherwise roughed up. But I'd say it's likely at least 10 times more than the number of people fatally shot, which even with the year not even complete, we've passed 1000 people.

Imagine the kid that's going to have to go through life with a dead parent, because you called the cops.

I take it you're not a parent. If you were, you'd probably be the first one on the phone to 911.

I most certainly am, and every time another one of these stories comes up, it pisses me off that others lack the common sense to analyze the situation before making a rash decision (like calling 911). This reminds me of the parents who were arrested for letting their kids walk the 3 blocks home from school. Seriously? It is out of control.

If I saw someone putting their kid into the back of a hatchback, I wouldn't think twice...because it's a hatchback. But if I didn't know that, I'd go take a look, then maybe say something in person if I was still unsure, then determine whether it warrants a call to the authorities. 99.99% of the time it would not warrant that.

And, based on statistics, I should be far more concerned seeing a kid get on an airplane.

I most certainly am, and every time another one of these stories comes up, it pisses me off that others lack the common sense to analyze the situation before making a rash decision (like calling 911). This reminds me of the parents who were arrested for letting their kids walk the 3 blocks home from school. Seriously? It is out of control.

If I saw someone putting their kid into the back of a hatchback, I wouldn't think twice...because it's a hatchback. But if I didn't know that, I'd go take a look, then maybe say something in person if I was still unsure, then determine whether it warrants a call to the authorities. 99.99% of the time it would not warrant that.

And, based on statistics, I should be far more concerned seeing a kid get on an airplane.

They have been trained to do this by their daily feed of fear and anxiety from the Ministry of Truth. I become more and more convinced that 1984 dystopia has actually already arrived. George Orwell only missed in the cheap and pervasive use of cameras by the proles.

He was driving a vehicle. He is required to present his license and registration if requested to by police.

I don't think anyone is required to do so unless the police have 'reasonable suspicion' that the person concerned has committed a crime. There are States which have "stop & identify" laws but even then you're protected by the 4th amendment if there is no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

Of course, in some circumstances you risk ticking off the police (and dealing with them) if you refuse......

I don't think anyone is required to do so unless the police have 'reasonable suspicion' that the person concerned has committed a crime. There are States which have "stop & identify" laws but even then you're protected by the 4th amendment if there is no reasonable suspicion of criminal activity.

Of course, in some circumstances you risk ticking off the police (and dealing with them) if you refuse......

I'm interested in this. Pretty sure it's fair game if you are operating a vehicle. But I've heard it is most certainly illegal to request a pedestrian who has committed no illegal act to present ID. This is what immigration agents have been known to do. They board buses and ask everyone on the bus to show ID even though no border is being crossed. So illegal, but yet most can't afford a lawyer so they get screwed over by the federal govt breaking the law. Shameful, IMO.

I'm interested in this. Pretty sure it's fair game if you are operating a vehicle. But I've heard it is most certainly illegal to request a pedestrian who has committed no illegal act to present ID.

This practice of "carding" pedestrians is currently big news in Toronto. Mainly because of the demographic typically being "carded". The provincial government is working on legislation to ban the practice and I believe the Mayor of Toronto (sorry, no longer Rob Ford) has put an end to it recently.

I'm interested in this. Pretty sure it's fair game if you are operating a vehicle. But I've heard it is most certainly illegal to request a pedestrian who has committed no illegal act to present ID. This is what immigration agents have been known to do. They board buses and ask everyone on the bus to show ID even though no border is being crossed. So illegal, but yet most can't afford a lawyer so they get screwed over by the federal govt breaking the law. Shameful, IMO.

There were some people parking what I thought was illegally at an intersection near where I lived in Texas. I called the non emergency police number to simply ask if they were supposed to be parking there. They said "we will send someone right over" and hung up. Next thing I knew two police officers were at my door and said "they are allowed to park there. Can we see your ID?" Very bizarre. I did since as Nigel said you risk just pissing them off but really didn't make sense. I wasn't reporting anything, just asking a question.