Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you would like to see in the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess after having driven an electric vehicle for 1 1/2 years and having taken long road trips, the idea of a generator just strikes me as extra work. And a range killer.

But all that said, you should configure exactly what you want. Just saying I see no need for it, based on real life experience. (And the supercharger network totally puts that to rest, for me.) I've only kept an ICE because my three dogs won't fit in the Roadster. But I'm selling that as soon as the X is on the way.

I'm proposing a generator as an OPTION. Obviously, a lot of buyers wouldn't want it. A couple of other points: As far as added weight is concerned, I figure that the generator would weigh about 250 lb. Considering that the X will probably weigh over 5000 lb., what's another 250. As far as the supercharging network is concerned, Tesla says that using it on a routine basis is not recommended because of degradation of the batteries. And I imagine that the network will mostly serve interstate highways. But there are a lot of travel routes in the western U.S. that don't involve interstate highways.

I'm proposing a generator as an OPTION. Obviously, a lot of buyers wouldn't want it. A couple of other points: As far as added weight is concerned, I figure that the generator would weigh about 250 lb. Considering that the X will probably weigh over 5000 lb., what's another 250. As far as the supercharging network is concerned, Tesla says that using it on a routine basis is not recommended because of degradation of the batteries. And I imagine that the network will mostly serve interstate highways. But there are a lot of travel routes in the western U.S. that don't involve interstate highways.

That would bring in all other kinds of regulations, maintenance issues and cost to an already expensive car. If they were going to include a gas engine, they'd be better off downsizing the battery pack to give it maybe 80 mile range (double the Volt) and have the gas generator. Tesla will never do this. Doesn't make sense to design an option for the car that will rarely be used and drive up cost and maintenance issues significantly. If you could find a generator that is portable and could output greater than 40A (what you'd find at an RV park) then you could try that.

That would make sense if it were true, but if memory serves right, the extra regen from all 4 wheels more than makes up for it. This came up early in conversations about the Model X.

Regen? I meant if driving all 4 wheels needed more power than can be pulled at once from a 60kwh pack (similar to how the perf needs the 85kwh pack)

Regen? I meant if driving all 4 wheels needed more power than can be pulled at once from a 60kwh pack (similar to how the perf needs the 85kwh pack)

The first post in this thread mentions it:

Model X Pricing

There is more extensive discussions on it somewhere. Given how far we are from production, I probably should have stated it a little less like fact and inserted a strategic "might"

Portable generators that put out 40A at 240v are not uncommon.

Gensets with enough continuous power output to move a vehicle are not portable. Try googling some 15kVA gen sets and go see yourself.
Typical appearance:

This one features size 1300x700x1100mm (~4.3x2.3x3.6ft), weight 560kg (~1200lbs). And that is without sound insulation.

This ICE range extender idea for a performance BEV like TESLA goes nowhere, IMO.

The Generac XG10000 weighs 300 lb, available at Home Depot for $2099.

I really think that if carrying around a powerful generator for that once a year you really need it isn't worth it. You might be better off buying a traditional ICE if having an engine on board is a major concern. Tesla will never do it so it'd be up to you. With campgrounds everywhere why would you need it? Do you drive more than 200 miles a day where running out would be a concern?

Well, I suppose you could sleep in your car. But many places have cabins for rent and are within walking distance of other hotels, restaurants, theaters. Worst case, you take a cab.

Or you could just pick a hotel for the night that will allow you to plug in. That's what I do. Then I have a fully charged car in the morning, ready to go.

But right now you're arguing for a generator that will charge you more slowly than a 40amp outlet at the campground AND will reduce your range.

So setting aside how much range you could add before running out of gas & how long it would take you & how much range you lose with the extra weight ... You're prob going to have to do that after-market if you still plan on getting a Model S. Tesla is not going to provide one (they'd lose far too many customers and all credibility).

Is this car really the right car for you? It feels like you're trying to solve a problem that may not really be a problem.