Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Compel You To Upgrade to a Future Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the falcon wing doors that annoying to live with? Wifes car is 10 years old and I've been keeping an eye out on 2020ish Model X Performance, prices keep dropping, down to about 45k now with low miles (50k or less).
They are overly complicated and prone to misalignment. They also compromise the structure of the roof decreasing the rigidity, leading to increase rattles and NVH.
I personally don't like waiting for doors to open and don't want to fix them when they break.
It's a deal breaker for me. Also I want stalks and a round wheel.

They are overly complicated and prone to misalignment. They also compromise the structure of the roof decreasing the rigidity, leading to increase rattles and NVH.
I personally don't like waiting for doors to open and don't want to fix them when they break.
It's a deal breaker for me. Also I want stalks and a round wheel.
I had a 22 X LR loaner and I didn't mind the yoke, the buttons for blinkers, or the amount of time the doors took to open. I did however hate using the touchscreen for drive and reverse, seemed hard to do quickly which sometimes you need. Curious do you own an X or just going off of what people have complained about?

Are the falcon wing doors that annoying to live with?
I admit they are slower to open & close but I’m never in that much of a hurry so I don’t mind that aspect. I have 2 granddaughters and loading them is so much easier with the FWD and with all the rain here in Oregon I love staying dry while loading. I’ve read about all of the issues with FWD’s but they have worked flawlessly for me.

I’m probably an outlier but I also like the steering yoke and the stalkless controls. I didn’t find them at all difficult to get used to and now prefer the yolk. I know others have said they don’t like hunting for the horn icon and prefer a large center horn for emergency situations. I’ve never used my horn in emergency situations — I’m too focused on avoidance. So to each his own.

Love the FWD's, haven't had any issues with mine on my 23'. I got the steering wheel, and am used to stalkless (OTHER THAN THE HORN). That horn button I didn't think would bother me but when you need to honk at someone and do it "fast", it's in the wrong place for muscle memory. Maybe I need to spend hours honking randomly at things to re-train my mind where it is... But really when it comes down to it I love my X and would likely buy again IF they offer with V2H/V2L. Thats the icing on the cake that'll sell me. Not much else would as mine is soo damn new.

I also love the FWD, it's one of the best features of the X imo. The only reason I'd buy another Tesla ever again is if they fix their customer service and esp SC problem and some updated tech (real FSD and other major leading edge innovation that nobody else has). They need to stop treating every customer and issue defensively as if we're the enemy, and start accepting responsibility of flawed designs and legitimate issues.

Reactions: aesculus
Front doors that work instead of electric motors that exist just to fight you.
This is actually far more annoying than the back doors. Which are also annoying. Until you need shade/to stand up while doing something in the back seat, or load something really awkward/long into the back, then they're awesome

Also annoying is the total lack of proper weather sealing around the forward edge of the front windows, which are part of the doors, and the still-anemic window mechanism that just can't quite manage to move that giant piece of glass through its poorly-designed and probably never-lubricated because SHIP IT WE HAVE TO MAKE THE NUMBERS seals, which can't stand up to a decent blast from a garden hose without allowing a little bit of outside inside

I'd say mine is worn out, but it came certified pre-broken from the factory, so I guess I can say it still operates as-new! I tried a refresh and they seem to have gotten the front window mechanism more-right than the pre-refresh at least, even if the wind noise wasn't much better on the one I drove

Interesting to read the comments here. I love the yoke and love the auto-front-doors, and love the falcon doors.
I’ve owned several teslas and am going to get another S or X in the coming weeks. Had an early CT order but decided to pass on it, it’s not for me.

I’ll order an X the literal moment they announce the sport seats. Why? Not bc I need them for cornering bc I just prefer them and want something new. Other things to entice would be improved interior in any way like ambient lighting, heads up display, anything new and fun.

If they add nothing to the X, I’ll likely just order another S plaid and drive it until a new S or X is released.

Interesting to read the comments here. I love the yoke and love the auto-front-doors, and love the falcon doors.
I’ve owned several teslas and am going to get another S or X in the coming weeks. Had an early CT order but decided to pass on it, it’s not for me.

I’ll order an X the literal moment they announce the sport seats. Why? Not bc I need them for cornering bc I just prefer them and want something new. Other things to entice would be improved interior in any way like ambient lighting, heads up display, anything new and fun.

If they add nothing to the X, I’ll likely just order another S plaid and drive it until a new S or X is released.

Keep in mind that there are no auto front doors since Tesla removed the sensors 1.5 years ago.

Rode in a coworker's Porsche Macan a couple days ago. Those seats had a nice, wide bolster. I liked it. Also had hundreds of switches from the console to the dash, made me giggle.

The doors lost their USS? I thought it was the bumpers that lost them. How would the gull-wing doors work w/o those sensors?

I do love walking up and the door opening for me and getting in and the door closing in response to stepping on the brake. Perfect if you are holding a pet or groceries or especially fast food especially if you are eating it while walking.