Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Compel You To Upgrade to a Future Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The doors lost their USS? I thought it was the bumpers that lost them. How would the gull-wing doors work w/o those sensors?

I do love walking up and the door opening for me and getting in and the door closing in response to stepping on the brake. Perfect if you are holding a pet or groceries or especially fast food especially if you are eating it while walking.
Falcon Wing doors still have them, but not the front doors. It opens minimally.

Last edited:
The doors lost their USS? I thought it was the bumpers that lost them. How would the gull-wing doors work w/o those sensors?

I do love walking up and the door opening for me and getting in and the door closing in response to stepping on the brake. Perfect if you are holding a pet or groceries or especially fast food especially if you are eating it while walking.
Yeah no USS on front doors anymore, just FWDs. The drivers door just opens now enough to grab and pull open yourself the rest of way. Still closes with brake press at least.

Yes this is huge for me. So in 2024 brand new X’s, this capability has been diminished - as in it doesn’t open the door all the way anymore, it just pops open but you still need to open it yourself?

That sounds like a big step back, its prob my favorite thing about the X.

Reactions: israndy and rpo
I’m in a similar situation, waiting for the right moment to upgrade my 2017 Model 3 to a new Model S LR. Slightly different from the X, but most of this wishlist would apply to the X as well. Here is what I’m waiting/hoping for:

- External design refresh
- Improved battery chemistry [faster charging, lighter weight, longer range, slower degradation]
- FSD HW5 [I don’t think HW4 is fundamentally capable of L4 autonomy]
- FSD transferability
- Stalks! (Not holding out much hope for this)
- V2G (or at least vehicle-to-Powerwall), and 110v/240v outlets on the car, a la Cybertruck
- Midnight Cherry Red!
- Elon coming to his senses, so I don’t have to work so hard to rationalize to friends and family supporting Tesla

I’m in a similar situation, waiting for the right moment to upgrade my 2017 Model 3 to a new Model S LR. Slightly different from the X, but most of this wishlist would apply to the X as well. Here is what I’m waiting/hoping for:

- External design refresh
- Improved battery chemistry [faster charging, lighter weight, longer range, slower degradation]
- FSD transferability
These things already occurred in 2021. Are you waiting on another refresh and another battery change? FSD Transfer was live the last 2 quarters.

These things already occurred in 2021. Are you waiting on another refresh and another battery change? FSD Transfer was live the last 2 quarters.
There hasn’t been a significant external refresh since the nosecone was eliminated in 2016. The 2021 refresh was quite minor. A bigger refresh is expected next year: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-tesla-model-s-update-electric-sedan-future-cars/

FSD transfer is currently unavailable I believe, though I do expect it to come back in some form.

For batteries, I do wonder if they will eventually switch the S/X to a structural 4680 pack, and what the trade-offs there are.

There hasn’t been a significant external refresh since the nosecone was eliminated in 2016. The 2021 refresh was quite minor. A bigger refresh is expected next year: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2025-tesla-model-s-update-electric-sedan-future-cars/

FSD transfer is currently unavailable I believe, though I do expect it to come back in some form.

For batteries, I do wonder if they will eventually switch the S/X to a structural 4680 pack, and what the trade-offs there are.
1. The 2021 refresh was a major refresh inside and out.
2. They will not put 4680s in the S/X anytime soon.
3. Almost 0 chance of a S/X refresh next year. The MY is next and all rumors are that is pushed back...there have been no legitimate rumors about a S/X refresh outside of the seats in the Plaid and ambient lights/front bumper cam (Teslascope) in the S/X.

I don’t expect any major refresh in the next year+ but I could be wrong. The article is just speculation.
S/X sales don’t do near the scale nor the profit even of 3/Y globally. The layoffs signal increased productivity is needed. Lots of cybertrucks to produce per sold orders. Robotaxi from a hardware perspective, and FSD/from software, has been prioritized. Then a y refresh. Semi. Roadster. Etc. Sold orders, way ahead of a few thousand X’s and s’ for purists who want a new toy. They figure we’ll get by with cool software updates, maybe a few interior touches here and there…. and they’re not wrong.

My thinking is generally that Tesla is going to need to pick and choose its investments more wisely in 2024 and 2025 and the S/X is still so far ahead, generally, of competitors (remember it’s SCALE they care about not a few Taycans here or there) that it gets backburnered. My guess is we don’t see a true full interior/exterior refresh S/X until Q126 earliest. I can be wrong of course time will tell.

Unrelated - I am devastated about the front doors not opening all the way that is horrible news! That was my favorite thing about the X. If the X doesn’t at least get the sport seats, I’m just going to order another S plaid.

Reactions: Ben W
1. The 2021 refresh was a major refresh inside and out.
2. They will not put 4680s in the S/X anytime soon.
3. Almost 0 chance of a S/X refresh next year. The MY is next and all rumors are that is pushed back...there have been no legitimate rumors about a S/X refresh outside of the seats in the Plaid and ambient lights/front bumper cam (Teslascope) in the S/X.
The significance of the 2021 exterior refresh is a matter of perception. Motor Trend thought it was visually minor, and I agree with them.

I do agree that recent headwinds push back the likelihood of these changes to 2026 or perhaps 2027. (Late 2025 is highly optimistic.) And even if they keep the 2170 battery form factor in the S/X, perhaps the cells could still adopt some of the 4680’s innovations.

Probably HW5 on S3XY is the furthest out, although presumably the Robotaxi to be announced 8/8 will have advances beyond HW4. I think Tesla would be nuts to bet the farm on near-term L4 autonomy at this point; I think they are still 8-10 years away from it. It’s not clear whether “Robotaxi” has a path forward at all as robust L2 or even L3. And the gulf between solid L2 and minimal L4 is immense. So I hope the consumer-facing “Model 2” has not been cancelled. And let’s hope that Tesla can continue to make progress on all of these fronts at once!

Last edited:
The significance of the 2021 exterior refresh is a matter of perception. Motor Trend thought it was visually minor, and I agree with them.

I do agree that recent headwinds push back the likelihood of these changes to 2026 or perhaps 2027. (Late 2025 is highly optimistic.) And even if they keep the 2170 battery form factor in the S/X, perhaps the cells could still adopt some of the 4680’s innovations.

Probably HW5 on S3XY is the furthest out, although presumably the Robotaxi to be announced 8/8 will have advances beyond HW4. I think Tesla would be nuts to bet the farm on near-term L4 autonomy at this point; I think they are still 8-10 years away from it. It’s not clear whether “Robotaxi” has a path forward at all as robust L2 or even L3. And the gulf between solid L2 and minimal L4 is immense. So I hope the consumer-facing “Model 2” has not been cancelled. And let’s hope that Tesla can continue to make progress on all of these fronts at once!
The S/X do not use the 2170, they use the 18650, because it's better for performance than the 2170 or the 4680, but it did get a chemistry update in 2021.

The Model S/X refresh had something like 80% new parts, so just as much of a refresh as the Highland. Elon has spoke about the MS design and he feels it's like Porsche where they make tweaks (reduce drag, made it wider in 2021), but doesn't ever feel it should be completely changed. He considered it a major refresh.

Tesla had a ton of growing pains with the refresh on the X, but as others have said next to 0 chance of a 2025 refresh and unlikely for a major refresh in the near future until at least the MY has one, the CT is ramped, and the RT is out. The S/X just sell in too small of volumes.

Reactions: Ben W
Wait - what??? Horn is in the middle now??
Tesla added instruction to retrofit the center horn for the yoke to the service manual 2 weeks ago, I suspect they will offer the same for the steering wheel:

Yes this is huge for me. So in 2024 brand new X’s, this capability has been diminished - as in it doesn’t open the door all the way anymore, it just pops open but you still need to open it yourself?

That sounds like a big step back, its prob my favorite thing about the X.

That's correct, and once it pops open a couple of inches, you have to wait a second or two after it stops before pushing it the rest of the way or the electric motor will push back against you. It is terrible.

That's correct, and once it pops open a couple of inches, you have to wait a second or two after it stops before pushing it the rest of the way or the electric motor will push back against you. It is terrible.
It's terrible until you get in sync with it. It is one thing that won't get faster as you accumulate to your MX, but at least you won't fight it once you figure out the rhythm. I am actually in a rut now where I don't open the door enough or something and the door tries to close on me as I get in. It's new so I must have changed the way I get in over time. Or it's in a SW update that came in recently.