Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Would Compel You To Upgrade to a Future Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My feeling on the future of the X : Tesla only builds the S/X for sentimental reasons now. As soon as the company is in a tough financial position they will completely cancel the S/X program and lay off those employees. 95% of sales are 3/Y and the company focus is now autonomy and robotaxi (compact), sedan (3), Crossover (Y), and truck (Cyber). There is no further focus on luxury at Tesla anymore.
With a toddler to load in, I still prefer the X the most. For me to upgrade I would need:
X Long Range : another $10K price drop from here.
Y : MUCH more comfortable ride quality like my old Lexus, quieter cabin, more luxurious interior.

Reactions: EbS-P
My feeling on the future of the X : Tesla only builds the S/X for sentimental reasons now. As soon as the company is in a tough financial position they will completely cancel the S/X program and lay off those employees. 95% of sales are 3/Y and the company focus is now autonomy and robotaxi (compact), sedan (3), Crossover (Y), and truck (Cyber). There is no further focus on luxury at Tesla anymore.
With a toddler to load in, I still prefer the X the most. For me to upgrade I would need:
X Long Range : another $10K price drop from here.
Y : MUCH more comfortable ride quality like my old Lexus, quieter cabin, more luxurious interior.
I think you are right. It makes me sad that Tesla doesn’t make more models or something in between the Y and X. $30,000 is still a big difference between them.

X with 20” wheels, in grey, with your choice of interior color, is just under $80k — less tax credit makes it a $72k vehicle….still a chunk of change but, at least in my opinion, a lot of car for the money. Our last one was $40k more with less tech, old interior, and less range.

X with 20” wheels, in grey, with your choice of interior color, is just under $80k — less tax credit makes it a $72k vehicle….still a chunk of change but, at least in my opinion, a lot of car for the money. Our last one was $40k more with less tech, old interior, and less range.
You are 100% correct. I really wanted a Model X that qualified for the tax rebate. But black interior looked too bland to my eyes, especially on a stealth gray. So as soon as the price drop last week, I jumped on an inventory stealth gray on white interior that now qualifies for the tax credit. I also wanted a yoke, and it sounds like the model X can be retrofitted to a yoke after purchase, which I plan to do

- External re-design and not just the bumpers and lights like they did with the refresh... I mean like you could tell its a new car redesign

- Front facing camera access in the display.. and ideally a real 3D birds eye view

- More luxurious interior... Mostly the seats I guess since I don't mind the minimalist cabin

- put the turn signal side video on the heads up display behind the yoke

- Updated matrix headlights

- Updated range ideally like 450 miles

- Powered frunk and powered 3rd row seats to lower and raise them

- External re-design and not just the bumpers and lights like they did with the refresh... I mean like you could tell its a new car redesign
Change just for the H of it?
- Front facing camera access in the display.. and ideally a real 3D birds eye view
There are three front facing cameras, which one do you want? How about looking out the window? The Birdseye view in FSDs version 12.3.6, is really quite good, much improved over 12.3.4 (my vehicle skipped 12.3.5).
- More luxurious interior... Mostly the seats I guess since I don't mind the minimalist cabin
Ok...
- put the turn signal side video on the heads up display behind the yoke
Actually I like it where it is. It can be positioned to be directly in line with the mirror.
- Updated matrix headlights
I think that is now what is shipping
- Updated range ideally like 450 miles
Not worth the weight and cost penalty (IMO)
- Powered frunk and powered 3rd row seats to lower and raise them
Not in my five passenger, lol

There are three front facing cameras, which one do you want? How about looking out the window? The Birdseye view in FSDs version 12.3.6, is really quite good, much improved over 12.3.4 (my vehicle skipped 12.3.5).

Ok...

Actually I like it where it is. It can be positioned to be directly in line with the mirror.

There's only 2 front facing cameras in the HW4 models and neither can see below the hood.

I don't think they will put more behind the wheel/yoke because the default config is the wheel and it obscures the view.

Matrix headlights don't work in the US, so it's really irrelevant.

Ok...

Change because it's what would compel me to buy a new one personally.. I think that was the question here was it not?

Front camera on the bumper like the CT has and has been rumored to to be added to the X

Front camera on the bumper like the CT has and has been rumored to to be added to the X
For over a year at this point...there's nothing of substance backing these rumors. The first I can find on Google was March 2023 that Teslascope said was on cars being shipped, then they said in Q3, then absolutely by March 1 and they are all over the lots with them installed.

They are the only source of these rumors.

Reactions: DCGOO
For over a year at this point...there's nothing of substance backing these rumors. The first I can find on Google was March 2023 that Teslascope said was on cars being shipped, then they said in Q3, then absolutely by March 1 and they are all over the lots with them installed.

TBH, because the Model X hood is so short, the cams behind the glass have a pretty decent view of everything forward. Plus they are behind glass, reducing the effects of crummy weather.

I am on my 3rd Model X. Each was significantly better than the one before. I can still manually drive, and the sightlines are good enough for me to park and get around. Use the cameras when useful, but they mostly just agument my vision. Best camera is the large backup view. Allows me to back into spaces with great confidence.
Of course, if you are used to another vehicle, but specialized cameras, you will miss them on the X. This is because the main purpose of the Tesla cameras is to enable FSD, instead of helping you park without hitting stuff.

Reactions: X Fan

Right... and if it ever becomes a reality it would be one of the things that would compel me to buy a new X... not on its own though.