Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NRMA fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From Olympic Park Plugshare.
Screenshot_20230925-071354.png

From Olympic Park Plugshare.

Finally… Charging for Charging™ ! Hopefully the end of the freeloaders, time-wasters and inconsiderates. It’ll be interesting to see how much the Plugshare traffic drops now that folk have to pay.

I’ve used Olympic Park only once, and it was also the one and only time I’ve used the CHAdeMO port on my LEAF 😄

So what version is the “new” version of the App? According to iOS, v8.2.1 is the most recent version and the one I have.

and sure enough, also in the app:

IMG_166ACCCDF583-1.jpeg

Country chargers still seem to be free, and Narrabri doesn't even show up in the chargers map yet in the app.

What I don't see in the app is an evident option to check the status of the charger, activate charging or any such thing... maybe there's a QR code on the chargers that needs scanned and the app knows what to do with it?

+1 for offering to guide using Google Maps or Apple Maps when tapping "Directions"...

Last update to the Android App was 2nd August.
They'd better get cracking on an update as there is no way to charge nor to pay in the App.
As people point out, availability info is also of great importance.
Android version is 8.2.0.
I've lodged a complaint with them.
The mynrma app is still petrol focussed with offers for petrol discounts but so little EV functionality.

Last edited:
Finally… Charging for Charging™ ! Hopefully the end of the freeloaders, time-wasters and inconsiderates. It’ll be interesting to see how much the Plugshare traffic drops now that folk have to pay.

Agree this is long overdue. The freebie offering until now has created a horrible attitude of entitlement in a small percentage of drivers. The whinging has already started online about this and the fact that there will be a month or so where it's members only while they roll out the changes.

The free chargers attracted some pretty poor behaviour. And people would literally queue for hours for a single stall when there's a chargeable multi stall site a few minutes away.

Recent Plugshare report from Berry NSW
Sep 24, 2023
Justamody
Tesla Model Y
CCS/SAEWaiting to charge Bit of a queue, 2x BYD & 2x Teslas

That's for a 50kw single stall!

And a Plugshare note by NRMA at Olympic Park
Hi all, this location will be offline 25th Sep 2023 from around 11/12 for at least a couple of hours due to maintenance. Please check the status of nearby chargers when planning your route. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Even if NRMA pushes an app update today, it's still unlikely to get to everyone, particularly on Android who seems to stagger releases.

No similar notes at Wallsend or Picton.

Why even need an app.
Can't it just be a tap and charge as the default option?

Do those old 50kw Tritium units support that?

I wonder what happens if app is delayed or its released and its so buggy it cant be used...

I guess charge at your plan B charger. Which has pretty much always been the case with the single stall tritiums. You always need a plan B.

Do those old 50kw Tritium units support that?
They do:

1695618490821.png

1695618531400.png

Although accepting credit cards is a separate question - the original question was asking why a new app and not an existing app (e.g. Chargefox). You can accept credit card payments as well as being app connected. A charging site that is credit card only and not on any app at all also has issues:

- You can't actually see where the chargers are - an important one!
- You can't check if it's functional or in use remotely
- You can't monitor your charge sessions (for cars that don't have their own app)
- You can't apply membership based price discounts
- For the charging networks, the data allows them to see where their users are travelling from and plan future charging
- If a business has EV fleet cars, they can keep a fob/card in the car so that it can be charged when out and about
- Many credit card readers will do a pre-authorise of a fixed amount before charging (not usually an issue since it refunds a day or two later, but if you're doing many sessions in a day, or the session has to be restarted, it can be many hundreds of dollars)

I have never seen one of those (the jetcharge credit card bollard thing) at an NRMA site. Can anyone else confirm?
The picture is from an Electric Highways Tasmania site.. Chuq was just showing you can retrofit older Tritium RT50 units to support charging via contactless cards.

Popcorn at the ready for comments on the Olympic Park Plugshare page.