Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't sure whether this was worth a new thread, but here it is!

This network is an election promise by the federal ALP, so is only really relevant if they win on May 21, so odds are good, but if they don't.. I guess this thread can fizzle into obscurity!

I've intentionally kept the party name out of the subject line so please keep discussion to the network proposal itself!

Now... what do we know about it?

* They're going to top up ARENA's future fuels fund with an additional $250m for EV related funding.

* One of the areas this will be spent on will be a national EV highway: "Labor will invest $39.3 million (matched by the NRMA) to deliver 117 fast charging stations on highways across Australia. This will provide charging stations at an average interval of 150km on major roads." (source)

* Their policy page lists "Adelaide to Perth, Darwin to Broome to Perth, Broken Hill to Adelaide, Port Augusta to Darwin, Brisbane to Mt Isa to Tennant Creek" - suggesting that they will be funding these gaps (made sense, since most other areas are going to be covered).

* NRMA is labelled as a partner - I'm not sure in what way. (Some may panic and say that this means this national network will be 50 kW, single stalls - I don't think that's likely. $39.3m/117 is about $335k per site. That's about 3x a typical 50 kW site, or about 2/3 of a typical dual 350 kW site)

So, not a lot of detail to go on, however... I just saw this image shared by Chris Bowen on twitter:

sjEcA3M.png

It seems to suggest this network covers (basically) everywhere, not just the remote legs. Indeed the blue dots seem to line up with the existing NRMA coverage.

It could just be that they asked their graphics intern to come up with a map with dots along the highways. I haven't counted to see if there are 117 red dots there yet!

Obviously there's a lot of detail to come that we don't know yet.

It could just be that they asked their graphics intern to come up with a map with dots along the highways. I haven't counted to see if there are 117 red dots there yet!

Love that. Thinking of major highways is always a good start. It requires effort to maintain, ensure it is working and most importantly need a way to show that they are active or not. Recent articles show the challenge of non-Tesla network and how hard it is to know what is available or not.

I think in many cases you will be pulling your own electricity cables or building solar arrays and batteries in WA and NT in particular so can easily see the cost averaging at $660k, even for 50kW chargers, though I hope it's higher.

Any funding is good funding so I'm a supporter.

But I actually think bigger funding demand in the next 5yrs is going to be on the major highways as the grid operators ask for payment for new infrastructure as the existing charging sites look to expand to multiple stalls.
Without it all EV drivers might have to suffer holiday queues in particular.

I think also the map on the right is a little bit disengenous as it ignores that State Govts are mostly responsible for roads and road related infrastructure and the various current funded and in progress programs by Qld, NSW, Vic and SA that will fill in many of the gaps. Less so for the WA and NT governments where there are still genuine gaps.

This is awesome. Might be too much to hope for, but 350kW nationwide charging will do a lot to spur EV adoption and really silence the "But EVs can't go out bush".

For the initial rollout I think even 2x150kW or 2x175kW stalls (depending on the supplier) rather than 350kW would be plenty. Especially in the more rural areas where grid capacity is lower.

The last thing we want is a rollout of 50kW sites though. With the vast distances, slow 50kW will be a huge headache and once done, the government will forget about any upgrades for years/decades. Will be akin to a FTTN vs FTTP.

Both good points in the last two comments.

I'd like to see them prioritise the least serviced routes and doing it properly (i.e. solar/battery if necessary, 150+ kW) and keep going until the money runs out.

e.g.
1. The Northern Territory (currently has nothing, no plans).
2. The parts of SA that the SA Electric Highway network says will be limited to AC; and WA went of Norseman (limited to 1x 50 kW Biofil and 25 kW).
3. The remote parts of Qld (which are only getting single stall 75 kW).
4. WA north of Perth (which is getting a mix of 50-75-150 kW).

If it means they only have enough money to do 1+2, or 1+2+3, that's OK. At least the regions which are not getting anything will get something usable.

Reactions: technerdx6000
Installing and maintaining a nation wide high capacity EV charging network would result in many highly paid, skilled jobs.
Many, if not most of these jobs would be in rural areas. I don't understand why more is not made of the economic benefits of EVs.
I haven't paid an electricity bill for almost four years due to our solar/battery system and we on this site know how much it costs to run a Model 3.
When is the penny going to drop?

I'll have to check but I'm pretty sure the new government project stipulated 150kw or 170kw and the first round was 4 chargers at the designated towns. Can't remember which one. Check later 👍
I can't remember where I heard it, but I understand the network displayed is just a ballpark/representative indication of coverage and there hasn't been any specific priority or minimum speed mentioned.

I certainly hope they prioritise in order of the most significant blackspots, as per my earlier reply.

(Would you have been thinking of the NSW EV Fast Charging site funding - which was 4 stall minimum, 2x 175 kW and 2x 350 kW?)

Yes, it's the NSW government plan that you mention. This is the one I was referring to. I emailed them not long ago because I know the final round had closed middle of July. They did get back to me and said the winners haven't been announced yet but should be soon. 👍

Reactions: Chuq
A new announcement on this.

Weirdly I couldn’t find a media release from the Government or NRMA about this, or any of the tech sites - only found because someone saw it on the TV news - found this story:

Some pertinent screenshots, because I know that’s what people are after ;)

C7A4E867-AC4B-4772-B2C5-EA44D95C1B42.png

8A8CBD29-7A95-4CCB-89F2-B914A69F4C99.png

55C4A37B-EA0B-45DD-9800-34B34013BEB7.png

Looks like “current sites” is the existing original NRMA network, plus the Chargefox owned 350 kW sites.

(Nice picture of an AC charger there, 7 News :-/ )

Can anyone read what the green dot means on the second image? (Blue = operational site, brown = planned site, green = planned site with federal something? Partnership?)

$40m funded by Federal Government, $60m funded by NRMA.

National EV Charging Network​

As part of the Driving The Nation Fund, the government is partnering with the NRMA to deliver a ‘backbone’ National EV charging network. There will be 117 electric vehicle charging stations on key highway routes across Australia at an average interval of 150kms, connecting all capital cities.

The project will raise current and future EV driver confidence by establishing a nation-wide network of chargers. The fast chargers will be compatible with all EVs and accessible by all motorists. The minimum charging rate for each site will be at least 75kW even when 4 cars are charging simultaneously.

New sites will complement existing and planned EV charging infrastructure. Site selection for new EV chargers will target known blackspots, prioritising regional and remote communities.

Reactions: Chuq