Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ARENA/NRMA national fast charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best thing about this design is they can be brought online without waiting for the local DNSP to pull their finger out and connect it etc. So much quicker this way.
I think these are just normal, permanently installed grid connected ones. The pictures in Alice Springs show that. Katherine is on the Katherine-Darwin grid so that will probably be the same. We'll know for sure when we get photos.

Attachments

• 1710334757978.png
    1710334757978.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
That is great! Now just need one half-way in between each of them!

Yep. Katherine to Tennant Creek is 675 km - a bridge too far for an EV, unless you seriously hypermiled (not advised on the Stuart Highway!) or AC charged overnight midway.

But the gaps are closing. My rough list of the longest trips between two DCFCs in the country on sealed highways:
  • Karratha to Broome (834 km)
  • Broome to Halls Creek (685 km) - a detour to Derby would reduce that to 548 km
  • Katherine to Tennant Creek (675 km)
  • Tennant Creek to Mt Isa (661 km)
  • Miles to Blackall (628 km) - a detour to Charleville reduces the longest leg to 408 km.
  • Coober Pedy to Ghan (542 km)
  • Kununurra to Katherine (514 km)
  • Tennant Creek to Alice Springs (510 km) - that would be squeaky bum to do in one go in Highland LR, especially at 130 km/h.
Maybe @Chuq would be able to compile a definitive list?

Halve those legs with extra DCFCs and you could say “job done” for travelling everywhere on sealed roads in Australia in a long range EV using DC charging only. That would be a significant milestone.

Then the “race records” for laps and N/S, E/W crossings would be well and truly on. Maybe someone here will be the first person in Australia to do the lap only using fast charging! 😄

But the gaps are closing. My rough list of the longest trips between two DCFCs in the country on sealed highways:
  • Karratha to Broome (834 km)
  • Broome to Halls Creek (685 km) - a detour to Derby would reduce that to 548 km
  • Katherine to Tennant Creek (675 km)
  • Tennant Creek to Mt Isa (661 km)
  • Miles to Blackall (628 km) - a detour to Charleville reduces the longest leg to 408 km.
  • Coober Pedy to Ghan (542 km)
  • Kununurra to Katherine (514 km)
  • Tennant Creek to Alice Springs (510 km) - that would be squeaky bum to do in one go in Highland LR, especially at 130 km/h.
There's one more that I know of - Coober Pedy to Pimba (though it's "only" 367km, I would not want to chance that in my MY RWD.

Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs to open this week.
They do not show up in the app yet and still show as coming soon on Plugshare. If you look closely at the picture the screen is blank as well. (It has been like this for the last 6 weeks). Will probably drive down to Katherine this weekend to check it.

Well the socks are off for the pollies photoshoot, but the charger is still offline. Contacted Power & Water and they could not provide any indication other than contacting NRMA.

I contacted NRMA who initially indicated that it was operational as there were checkin's on plugshare. Pointed out that neither of the checkins were for a successful charge, and noted that they also do not appear in the mynrma app.

Unfortunately the NRMA person was not able to provide any further information beyond keeping an eye on both the plugshare & mynrma apps, as they should appear when charger becomes operational.

Looks like only 3 knife switches to go. So close...
IMG_20240318_142734.jpg

IMG_20240318_143913.jpg

Katherine, Tennant Creek and Alice Springs to open this week.
Will probably become a bit of a weekly update, but

Crickets - 2 weeks since the announcement, but still none of them functional, or showing in the app. Was vainly hoping we might get something before Easter but it seems not to be. Unless somebody has contacts I have not been able to get any further information from either NRMA or Power & Water.

There is some scuttlebutt about waiting for parts and could be a month away, but scuttlebutt is all it is currently.

At least I will get to enjoy Pine Creek Hotel & Mataranka Springs while AC charging this weekend.