Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla opening up the Supercharger network in Australia to other brand EVs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen several other type issues at Heatherbrae. yesterday with most of the 6 units full an "other make" - IIRC a mini? attempted to make it but the car socket was the wrong side and the cable too short. The owner was apparently unable to make it to destination. They said they had the Tesla app and also owned a Tesla.. As predicted I think opening up is likely to edge Tesla charging closer to what appears to be the horror norm in many other countries unless many more stations with - critically, more stalls - are built, and quickly.
A mini Cooper electric has the charge port on the right rear so would have to take up the parking space on the wrong side of a Supercharger taking 2 out of service but it looks like it could be done.

Except neither Heatherbrae Supercharger nor the Supercharger at Heatherbrae Pie's at Exeter are open to non-teslas.
So the mini would have have a hard time charging no matter how they parked. There is a BP charger across the road from Heatherbrae and EVIE across the road from Exeter.
I pointed this out to the driver - something like that had appeared on MY screen recently - but she said HER Tesla app for the Mini said otherwise. Confusion.....

I pointed this out to the driver - something like that had appeared on MY screen recently - but she said HER Tesla app for the Mini said otherwise. Confusion.....
Something is a bit wacky... if anyone else deals with this it might be worth following up with the driver, if they are amenable... at a guess:
- The Tesla SC is *not* listed as open to all EVs, and doesn't appear in that section of the Tesla app, but:
- The Mini's nav system gets it's charging info from elsewhere. e.g. if it sources it from Plugshare, it may read the "CCS/SAE" plug info, but ignore the "Tesla drivers only" filter.

If it’s not on the Non Tesla map, it won’t work. There are a bunch of sites I feel Tesla considers premium and will likely never be opened up, at least in the short term.
Yes, the key word is 'eventually'

It’s always been our ambition to open the Supercharger network to non-Tesla EVs, and by doing so, encourage more drivers to go electric.

More customers using the Supercharger network enables faster expansion. Our goal is to learn and iterate quickly, while continuing to aggressively expand the network, so we can eventually welcome both Tesla and non-Tesla drivers at every Supercharger worldwide