Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting 2 minutes thoughts together:

1. Must seat 2 comfortably
2. Must fit 2 golf bags
3. Must have lower CoG than any other production car
4. Must have better acceleration to 200kph than any other production car (Nurburgring)
5. Must offer convertible option
6. Must use skateboard chassis (modified)
7. Must use aluminum body panels
8. Must be able to shed weight for track racing (lighter weight options)

1. I don't think that will be a problem. I'm thinking that Elon wants to go up against the Porsche 911. Or at least that's the market I would be trying to grab.
2. I really don't think that will be a problem. Tesla is out to prove an electric car is better than a gas car. This would be an easy advantage.
3. If 6. is true, and it will be, then the CoG will be spectacular.
4. It all depends on if they up the max speed. I expect some transmission that will improve things sometime in Tesla's future. For the next Roadster? Maybe.
5. Likely. Otherwise it's a sports car, not a roadster. Roadster, to me, cries out for convertible.
6. A given. Tesla has moved past the need to use someone else's body design.
7. I expect something lightweight. Aluminum is the most likely, and maybe carbon fiber panels for those willing to pay extra. I'd love to see Tesla find someone in Silicon Valley that has developed an inexpensive way to make CF panels and work with them.
8. Addressed in 7. - I hope they will too.

9. Impressive aerodynamics.

That's what I'm hoping for. I won't be buying one but that's what I hope for those of you that will. A sports car/roadster that is as big an improvement over ICE as the Model S was over its ICE competitors.

I have one.

You got me there=)

People have been assuming Tesla will go away from CF which makes sense based on cost. I'm wondering if whatever method BMW used to bring the cost down is something Tesla will do as well so keep the Roadster in CF or will they simply use their expertise in aluminum body panels now to go that route.

Here's the competition: McLaren P1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia from a aesthetics, build quality and performance perspective. Not from price or drivetrain design. I'm still looking for the full specs on this beauty.

While not a pure EV, this car is about as close to perfect as I've ever seen outside of looking like Formula 1.

And Elon uses it as a benchmark since he owned. He even wanted the Model S to drive like it. It literally will be the one to beat for him.

This! It appears the Model S has the same "issue". I find it disappointing on the track as a result. I would love a Tesla that could run at full power for many laps at a time. (I guess the non performance Model S is better in this regard, but the MSP begins to limit power after 1 lap...)

As part of the new Roadster "performance" package they have an upgraded cooling unit to allow for longer sustained track/sport runs. Something that you can turn on and off or that can sense the increased power and adjust. You want the ability to turn it off so that there is less energy used in everyday driving.

That should be possible.

- - - Updated - - -

I am hoping for something like a 911 or Boxster for practicality and cost.

I agree. They can also make a supercar version for those that want the extreme and are willing to pay for it.

If they go for a 911 fighter then they can sell 5K to 10K a year. A 200K Veyron fighter is going to sell less than 100 a year. Do both.

Pretty sure he has said he wants a back seat like his 911 too. Price? It will be a bargain like the Roadster but the fully loaded sport version will be twice the base price car.

That's my hope. $100,000 base price and $120,000 with options and $200,000 super version with Veryon acceleration and decent track capability (doesn't overheat after 1 lap).

A few more thoughts now that I have 2 minutes to rub together...might be pie in the sky but this is what I would want to design, build and ship.

Top new innovative features

1. Customer exchangeable battery. This feature would allow the ability to put a different battery into the chassis for track purposes. The intent being of adding a lighter battery that only is heavy enough to finish the race. Or other features at the battery level that would allow different configurations. Imagine only putting batteries at the edges of the enclosure to aid in stability. Imagine the ability for the battery mass to slide to either side of the car as you near a corner (gps battery positioning) which could really provide an edge in racing.
2. Factory option for Track regen. Much higher ability to slow the car down quickly at track speeds. Possibly better energy recapture. Possibly lighter weight. Imagine being able to completely control track speeds through one pedal. Imagine being able to slow the car down at the rolling friction limit as well as accelerate.
3. Customer swappable Track seating. Ability to move controls of the car into track mode where the driver is seated in the middle and extra weight of the other seat is removed. Imagine that the seat is also on a gimbal so as you turn the seat matches the g-force in parallel.
4. Customer swappable Track CoD. Ability to remove the side and rear view mirrors and use cameras and monitors with tracking telemetry that are preferably in the HUD Helmet
5. Custom track helmet. With full HUD with all the telemetry you can dream of wanting that will allow faster track times. Imagine having a constant view of the cars behind you and knowing if they are moving up or falling back with the aid of colors. Possibly having more features from driving games as well like Ghost mode
6. Custom track suit. Ability for the car to connect and keep the suit environment ideal for comfort so as to not waste any energy

and I'm out of time...

Wow. Just... wow. Lots of imagination around here. (And that's a very good thing, mind you.)

All I want is the Tesla (P+ or better) equivalent to a BMW M3 convertible: fast and extremely agile, turns and stops as well as anything out there, smallish but usable back seat, decent trunk space. Although batteries are heavy, I'd buy the version with the biggest battery and greatest range, because I value flexibility and I don't track my car.

Seems to me that the BMW line provides a great example of what Gen-3 could do. On the same chassis, you can build a sedan, a coupé, a convertible, and maybe even the roadster. You can have ungodly amounts of power in there with Tesla's motors, and you can have AWD.... all the while maintaining high parts commonality so as to reduce complexity and cost.

As I wrote above, a roadster is a 2-seat open top sportscar.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(automobile)

For those who want an electric BMW 3-series convertible (4 seats, healthy storage space, comfort...), I think that's the convertible Gen 3, not the Roadster 3.0.

But as I have previously referenced, Elon said a couple years ago that he saw the next gen Roadster being more like a 911 or Lotus Evora. Next-Gen Tesla Roadster to Have Four Seats | AutoGoer.com

I personally think that is a bad idea. I don't see a 4-seater Roadster competing with the P1 and La Ferrari and 918 and Rimac, which are (will be) proper supercars, let alone the Veyron or 458. But who knows what these guys can do? They have a helluva track record, so I wouldn't put it by them. That said, I think that the objective of leaving a 911 in the dust with a 4-seater EV may be accomplished with a proper Gen 3 convertible P++. And then that would clear the way for a true supercar. Trying to be good at lots of things sometimes ends up as being ok in a lot but not great in anything. So to me, make a Gen 3 convertible that can humble a 911, and then make a Roadster that can humble anything.

Also, it seems pretty clear to me that the next gen Roadster is not a Gen 3 variety. Every time I have read or heard about it it has been described as the next project after the Gen 3, and that it will be a couple years later. And it is going to make a statement. To me that seems like more than an M3 convertible EV.

George Blankenship talks about the future Tesla Roadster | Car x Motor
Next Tesla Roadster to Push Envelope: Brand Boss Says | AutoGuide.com News

Very Creative post Disco!

A few more thoughts now that I have 2 minutes to rub together...might be pie in the sky but this is what I would want to design, build and ship.

Top new innovative features

1. Customer exchangeable battery. This feature would allow the ability to put a different battery into the chassis for track purposes. The intent being of adding a lighter battery that only is heavy enough to finish the race.

Without significant advances in battery tech, you'll always want the largest battery possible. :)