Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla unable to align steering wheel - Looking for advise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my second Model S in December 2023. A few weeks later I started getting alerts/errors on my dashboard indicating power steering was affected, etc. Tesla diagnosed it and had to replace the steering column. Once I brought the car home, I realized that the steering wheel was slightly off center. The car drove straight but if I perfectly centered the steering wheel, it would take off to the right. I brought the car back and the shop realigned the wheels. I took the car home and once again, steering wheel is still off by about a notch.I then decided to try a different Tesla service center. Same thing, maybe a little worse time once I drove the car.

It's really annoying with the steering wheel being slightly to the left when driving in a straight line. When I spoke to the last service agent, he told me they have the equipment at the factory to perfectly align the wheel but that at the service centers, they have to eyeball it.

Any recommendations here? Am I being too dramatic asking for a perfectly straight steering wheel? I'm planning to bring it back....for a fourth time now. At what point does this fall under the lemon law or is that even possible? I love my car, I just want a straight steering wheel. The steering wheel was perfectly find before the steering column was replaced.

I took delivery of my second Model S in December 2023. A few weeks later I started getting alerts/errors on my dashboard indicating power steering was affected, etc. Tesla diagnosed it and had to replace the steering column. Once I brought the car home, I realized that the steering wheel was slightly off center. The car drove straight but if I perfectly centered the steering wheel, it would take off to the right. I brought the car back and the shop realigned the wheels. I took the car home and once again, steering wheel is still off by about a notch.I then decided to try a different Tesla service center. Same thing, maybe a little worse time once I drove the car.

It's really annoying with the steering wheel being slightly to the left when driving in a straight line. When I spoke to the last service agent, he told me they have the equipment at the factory to perfectly align the wheel but that at the service centers, they have to eyeball it.

Any recommendations here? Am I being too dramatic asking for a perfectly straight steering wheel? I'm planning to bring it back....for a fourth time now. At what point does this fall under the lemon law or is that even possible? I love my car, I just want a straight steering wheel. The steering wheel was perfectly find before the steering column was replaced.

The usual procedure would be to turn the left tie rod out and the right tie rod end in.
Alternately can they take the steering wheel off and put it 1 spline or 2 to the right?

When I spoke to the last service agent, he told me they have the equipment at the factory to perfectly align the wheel but that at the service centers, they have to eyeball it.

They said they can't fix it.

I hope you have written proof of this. If not, somehow get them to say this as text in the app and screen capture it.

So this is definitely a buy back or lemon law situation. Don't let them string you along! It's now on you to push this to resolution. It'll be a pain and distraction, but hopefully your push will get it resolved and you'll get the car you want.

Otherwise you can keep taking it in hoping one time they can eyeball it into correct alignment.

They said they can't fix it.

I hope you have written proof of this. If not, somehow get them to say this as text in the app and screen capture it.

So this is definitely a buy back or lemon law situation. Don't let them string you along! It's now on you to push this to resolution. It'll be a pain and distraction, but hopefully your push will get it resolved and you'll get the car you want.

Otherwise you can keep taking it in hoping one time they can eyeball it into correct alignment.
Turning the left tie rod end out will move the steering rack to the right and turning the right tie rod end in will bring the toe in back.
This is standard for replacing tie rod ends.
Get them close as to the threads and then adjust to get the steering wheel centered.
That's what we did with my Ford F350 after replacing the tie rods.
The wheel was out by a lot like 3 or 4 hours on a clock before centering.
Any place that does alignments can do this

When I spoke to the last service agent, he told me they have the equipment at the factory to perfectly align the wheel but that at the service centers, they have to eyeball it.

Whaat? That can't be right. Maybe a shade tree mechanic using strings, but Tesla?

If they can't fix it, reject the car. I find it hard to belive Tesla can't fix it.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is BS. Centering the wheel is standard procedure after working on the steering system. When I had Tesla do an alignment, they failed to center the wheel, so I took it back, showed the technician the problem, and he said "wow, it is off. We'll have it fixed in a few minutes", and they did.
This is total bs, what kind of technicians do they have there? I just brought my plaid in for an alignment and they stated it’s normal to wear down at 12k miles? They said the car is heavy so it wears down more often, bs something is wrong with the alignment specs or it simply needs an adjustable control arm. But they won’t own up to it

Problem resolved after I took the car back to the original service center that installed the steering rack. I spoke with a supervisor and expressed my concerns about the multiple tries to get this corrected. She was very empathetic and ensured me their master tech would be in charge of my car. After 7 business days, the car was finally finished. I test drove it and everything is finally aligned again.