Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster versus Lotus Type 135

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw this report with more info than I've seen before about the Lotus Type 135:

I've been watching all the EV sports car developments, pondering a replacement for my loved-but-aging Roadster. Probably the top front runners are the new Roadster and this new Lotus. So, here are some thoughts. . .

In a lot of ways the new Tesla Roadster looks like the ultimate dream car. To my eyes it's one of the most beautiful sports car designs in decades. And by the numbers, well. . . The specifications are clearly meant to be world-beating, hypercar territory. However, it doesn't seem to carry through much of the spirit of the original Roadster. The new Roadster looks to be bigger, heavier, 2+2 configuration, and maxed-out with technology. (Whereas the original doesn't even have power steering!) The new Roadster is more like a Super Ponycar, a kind of over-the-top Tesla Firebird.

In fact. . . The new Roadster is basically KITT. Go down the specs and features list of KITT from the Knight Rider TV show, and it's basically the new Roadster. I mean, take away the tear gas dispenser and the magical armor that weighs nothing and isn't even scratched by rifle fire. . . But you do get the steering yoke, map display, self driving, incredible acceleration and top speed, etc. (They just need to fold in ChatGPT so it can hold its own in a conversation, haha!)

That's my theory for why Tesla started putting steering yokes in the cars. Because KITT had one.

What Lotus are doing with the Type 135 looks a lot more like a true sequel to the first gen Tesla Roadster. Two seats. Small and lightweight. Emphasis on handling dynamics. This article in Autocar implies that they're patterning it closer to the Elise than the Esprit, which I had thought was more the direction Lotus were going. (The article has two rendered images, one Elise-like and one that is more Esprit-like, but neither of them is attributed, and I don't think either of them are Lotus-provided illustrations of what they're actually working on. The Type 135 hasn't been revealed to the public yet.)

The E-Sports architecture will host single- and twin-motor powertrains ranging in output from 469bhp to 872bhp.
also. . .
The E-Sports platform will accommodate rear- and four-wheel-drive powertrains from the off, although the conceptual applications previewed so far by Lotus all use a rear-mounted drive system.
Yes. Make mine the single-motor, RWD version! I'd rather have fun zipping around back roads in the Hill Country than setting records at the drag strip or on the Nürburgring.

I wonder whether it will have an open top like the Elise and the 1st gen Roadster? This wasn't mentioned in the article, but it matters to me. The Roadster is so much better with the top off, and I don't want to give that up.

The smallest battery fitted to this platform will be a 66.4kWh unit, which could feasibly offer a range of around 300 miles in a lightweight, low-slung two-seater. The larger, 99.6kWh battery – also available in ‘slab’ or ‘chest’ format – could bump up the range to nearer 450 miles.
That sounds right in line to me. The smaller battery option would be similar to the upgraded gen 1 Roadster. My old Roadster still running on its original non-upgrade battery can barely charge up to 200 miles capacity now. Give me a factory-fresh battery with 300 miles and the ability to DC fast-charge (with NACS, please!), and I'll be tickled pink. And if it comes in around half the price of the new Tesla Roadster, that's good too.
Screenshot 2023-07-01 1.48.47 PM.png

If anyone can do it, Lotus can. But I'm dubious about the stacked battery. The weight balance of the original Roadster was not very good. Having that much weight so far back and high didn't handle well. It understeered like a mad dog. I'm in the middle of child rearing so extra seats are a bonus for me (sold my Roadster for an MXP) so I actually like the direction the Roadster 2.0 is going (assuming it's actually ever built). But that is the beauty of having multiple manufactures - different companies can fill different gaps.

Reactions: pilotSteve
If anyone can do it, Lotus can. But I'm dubious about the stacked battery. The weight balance of the original Roadster was not very good. Having that much weight so far back and high didn't handle well. It understeered like a mad dog.
Well. . . At least I've never accidentally spun mine like I did a couple of times with the Lotus Esprit V8, haha!

I'm in the middle of child rearing so extra seats are a bonus for me (sold my Roadster for an MXP) so I actually like the direction the Roadster 2.0 is going (assuming it's actually ever built). But that is the beauty of having multiple manufactures - different companies can fill different gaps.

Yes. Some time ago I posted wishing for a lightweight (superleggera?) version of the new Roadster with RWD and about half the battery. Which I still think could be cool, but Tesla have no real incentive to produce it. If Lotus are going to make something a lot closer to what I imagined, then great.

Also, Lotus indicated they're going to produce multiple variants and new models of sports cars over time, which is something I just don't see Tesla doing. So there will be even more options going forward.

Vehicle weight, if placed centrally, in the floor, is not as critical as it would be in a traditional gasser with the motor setting up highter and at one end of the car or another.

New roadster will not be the ultimate lighweight design like Lotus provides (add lightness), but have tremendous power, reasonable comfort levels and capability of some storage for longer trips. This will appeal to far more people than those hung up on lowest weight.

It will offer adaptable suspension, full suite of sell driving sensors, heat and air conditioning, variable power steering, a great sound system, room for a couple kids in back or storage for a helmet, drivning suit, and track tools. (Can be deleted if you check the SpaceX cold thruster package. in a robust million mile chassis.

Will offer world class aerodynamics, brakes, visibility, endurance and thrilling driving eperience.

• Funny
Reactions: strider
Vehicle weight, if placed centrally, in the floor, is not as critical as it would be in a traditional gasser with the motor setting up highter and at one end of the car or another.

New roadster will not be the ultimate lighweight design like Lotus provides (add lightness), but have tremendous power, reasonable comfort levels and capability of some storage for longer trips. This will appeal to far more people than those hung up on lowest weight.

It will offer adaptable suspension, full suite of sell driving sensors, heat and air conditioning, variable power steering, a great sound system, room for a couple kids in back or storage for a helmet, drivning suit, and track tools. (Can be deleted if you check the SpaceX cold thruster package. in a robust million mile chassis.

Will offer world class aerodynamics, brakes, visibility, endurance and thrilling driving eperience.
It’s weird to state a wish list as if it’s happening for a fact.

You have no idea what the brakes will be like.
You have no idea what the endurance will be like.
Million mile chassis? So basically like any other chassis?

It seems that your wish list has already been produced by Tesla: MS Plead!?

As an OG Tesla roadster owner and reservation holder for roadster 2.0, I’m hoping Tesla will not just deliver a couple MS Plead (+ tech I don’t want) and call it a 2.0 roadster.
BTW, I finally (a few months later) stumbled onto an article from Car & Driver: Lotus Type 135 Is an EV Worth Waiting For

The one key bit of info for me is this: "It will launch as a coupe in 2025, later followed by a roadster."

I don't know if that's anything we can rely on, but if so. . . Roadster version for me, please! I'll be waiting impatiently.
Yeah, I’ve been closely following their progress too and hope they can roll it out in 2025 and not follow “Elon time” with delivering products to reservation holder. Tesla has been enjoying my interest free loan since 2018:-((

Are you kidding me? Nothing about this says model S to me. It may be what the Model S Plaid dreams to be when it grows up.

This is pure art.
It's certainly a beauty. I think the new Roadster is one of the best-styled sports cars since the classics of the 1960s. Franz knocked this one out of the park.

Having said that, the real questions are all about handling dynamics. If they still aim for 620 miles range and 200 kWh battery, then we might be looking at a literal ton of battery. By the specs, the original Roadster was 2723 pounds. I've seen an estimate in the press that the Lotus Type 135 should come in around 3300 pounds. Tesla have said nothing about the new Roadster's mass, but if it ends up being 4500 pounds then it's just not gonna handle the same.

Presumably the new Roadster will have Autopilot and FSD, which means electrically assisted steering. Can Tesla produce an electric steering system with the kind of tactile feedback that we want? Has anybody yet done that? The original Roadster doesn't even have power steering, and thus far Lotus have stuck with hydraulic steering for the Emira.

It's certainly a beauty. I think the new Roadster is one of the best-styled sports cars since the classics of the 1960s. Franz knocked this one out of the park.

Having said that, the real questions are all about handling dynamics. If they still aim for 620 miles range and 200 kWh battery, then we might be looking at a literal ton of battery. By the specs, the original Roadster was 2723 pounds. I've seen an estimate in the press that the Lotus Type 135 should come in around 3300 pounds. Tesla have said nothing about the new Roadster's mass, but if it ends up being 4500 pounds then it's just not gonna handle the same.

Presumably the new Roadster will have Autopilot and FSD, which means electrically assisted steering. Can Tesla produce an electric steering system with the kind of tactile feedback that we want? Has anybody yet done that? The original Roadster doesn't even have power steering, and thus far Lotus have stuck with hydraulic steering for the Emira.

I'm buying one. Thats all I have to say.

I don't have the extra $9million for this new bughatti.

Bugatti-Centodieci-Front-View.jpg