Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing that I have thought about is Model lll PXXD, if they have managed to get the time for Model S down to 2,65s for 0-60, how fast will Model lll be? Let's say that they also have a package with active spoiler, some carbon fiber and sport suspension like the plus packege on Model S P85, do they really need to have a roadster to? Of course, it won't be anything close to Rimac Consept One but on the other hand, I don't belive tesla will ever built a car for about $900k.

On disadvantage is of course the ability to take of the roof like on the roadster but is it really necessary to make a completely new model when they could get Model lll so good? If tesla was big as BMW they would easily be able to make a roadster to but at this time I belive a really good Model lll is maybe enough at the moment. Or what do you think?

Let's say that they also have a package with active spoiler, some carbon fiber and sport suspension like the plus packege on Model S P85, do they really need to have a roadster to
Define what you mean by "need".

Based on Elon's recent statements about how the next Roadster is not coming anytime soon, clearly he knows that the success of Tesla Motors does not depend on building a new Roadster model (not to imply that he has ever believed that since the original Roadster was in production). But also based on his recent statements he would love to create a new Roadster just because it would be fun and a challenge.

In my opinion, building a super quick high powered version of the Model 3 is in no way a substitute for a compact 2 seat purpose built sports car, which could be designed to be even quicker and faster. But such a sports car is a niche market and has limited appeal compared to a Model 3 size vehicle.

Depending on what a base Model 3 weighs, 1.4 or 2.0 tons, some stripping of needless gadgets and the ample power any decent range battery pack is bound to produce, of course it could in a sports version challenge the now very much hyped Ford Focus RS.
Weight will be most important, as getting the suspension right is something i trust Tesla will figure out just fine.
For the expected circuit performance tests, obviously cooling with be a main issue. An optional sports cooling system that gets more performance from the same motors and battery could have a huge effect on lap times. Which I believe is what Rimac have been working on the past few years, the car drove and was quick years ago already.