Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty amazing specs above - any idea on price?

150kWh battery pack - makes the 45/60 & 85kWh options for the model S look a bit small?

Looks like the 150kWh is a typo or translation error. Most of the press say 50kWh or "150 kWh (50000 watt-hours)" 50000 watt-hours = 50kWh. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they can make such an error on their official website.

I'm having a look and see attitude because there's plenty of EVs with great specs on paper that never make it to production.

It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence that they can make such an error on their official website..
French is their first language so I think it's an easy mistake to make.

I'm having a look and see attitude because there's plenty of EVs with great specs on paper that never make it to production.
I've seen the pre-production car and it is truly beautiful. Full production version should be at the Paris show in September. The build quality of the pre-production car was truly top quality... one of the nicest cars I've ever seen.

I've seen the pre-production car and it is truly beautiful. Full production version should be at the Paris show in September. The build quality of the pre-production car was truly top quality... one of the nicest cars I've ever seen.

For $250K it should be one of the nicest cars you've seen. How many do they intend on building? At that price I would expect 200 or less. It has a very nice look to it.

For $250K it should be one of the nicest cars you've seen. How many do they intend on building? At that price I would expect 200 or less. It has a very nice look to it.
Lots of cars have a similar price tag... especially those that can hit ~180mph... one of the reason why I think Tesla should be building a next gen Roadster :wink:

First years production is 100 although they said that Geneva was so successful that they are reviewing their plans (will know more in Paris).

... I'd like to keep power steering out of things too, but I accept that I'm probably just weird on that front. [...]

I'd want better 0-60 and range.

Agree too but I realize that no power steering looses a lot of weak-armed customers.
My Porsche needs power steering. My Roadster does not. In its first iteration, the power steering pump on the Porsche was driven from the motor, so when in neutral there was no power. I was used to downshifting in turns with the Civic, but without a clutch in the Porsche (just one of many stupid things the original conversion shop did) it was impossible to downshift quickly since the freewheeling motor has no internal drag to slow it down. As a result, I found myself in neutral in a turn, without power steering, and I very nearly hit the outside curb turning into a parking lot. It was harder to steer than the old Super WD4 tractor driving on a plowed field.

The Roadster is hard to turn the wheel only at a stop or very slow. I am a weakling. At the gym I could clean and press the bar, alone, without any weights on it. I have very little upper body strength. But I don't need power steering on the Roadster. I would not say power steering would be a bad thing. Just that the car doesn't need it.

I also don't need better 0-60. I chose not to buy the sport version because it wasn't worth it to me. But more range is always good, though I would very seldom use it. With 350 mile range maybe I'd drive it in for its annual maintenance. But hopefully by then they'll have a service center here.

Edit: I don't need it to go over 100 mph, either. I cannot imagine anybody needing that unless they're taking it on a track or the German autoban.

But I don't need power steering on the Roadster. I would not say power steering would be a bad thing. Just that the car doesn't need it.

I dunno, doing autocross the steering is a bit heavy and requires some hand-over-hand work on the sharp corners. My S2000 handles much more easily in the corners, and I can usually just keep my hands at the 3 and 9 positions.

Edit: I don't need it to go over 100 mph, either. I cannot imagine anybody needing that unless they're taking it on a track or the German autoban.

Yeah, but I do go on the track. At low speeds very few cars can touch it. At higher speeds it can't really keep up.

That's precisely when you do need it.... I had great pleasure accelerating away from a BMW 5 on the autobahn and climbing to 137mph.... driving an EV includes 'educating' the mainstream about what real performance is.

I agree Doug...the steering needs to be more responsive / better turning radius...

I dunno, doing autocross the steering is a bit heavy and requires some hand-over-hand work on the sharp corners. My S2000 handles much more easily in the corners, and I can usually just keep my hands at the 3 and 9 positions.

Yeah, but I do go on the track. At low speeds very few cars can touch it. At higher speeds it can't really keep up.

We can rest assured that TM will use a battery set up similar to the S and X where it sits low in the chassis.
I think we can be sure that there will be a sport version with more than a 250 mile range.
I think it will be a no frills car like the last Roadster but with improvements.
I personally would like it to share the same platform as the sedan.
I think TM will use Aluminum for the body this go round instead of CF. (Keep cost low)
I think we could see an AWD version.
I think the cabin will be a bit more refined but on over done.
We could see a Gen III Roadster with a little more interior room, adjustable seats, adjustable steering wheel and comforts not seen in the last version of the Roadster.
In closing TM will produce a nice product.

They could also selective place CF body panels like BMW and others have done (I think the hood and maybe a few other panels are CF on the new M3). I agree. I think they could make a $80,000 base Roadster with one engine, 200 mile range or so then make a sport version with two motors, 300 mile range and maybe $100-$150k range. That's my hope.

They could also selective place CF body panels like BMW and others have done (I think the hood and maybe a few other panels are CF on the new M3). I agree. I think they could make a $80,000 base Roadster with one engine, 200 mile range or so then make a sport version with two motors, 300 mile range and maybe $100-$150k range. That's my hope.

Certainly a CF hardtop would be great. The current Roadster's hard top is so light it's easy for a single person to remove/install (despite the warning in the manual).

Making a CF hardtop to meet a functional need sounds good, but I doubt they will do much CF because it doesn't leverage their ability to make stuff in-house. All CF parts will have to be outsourced, adding lots of cost.