Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Rivian in the family and ordered the new Universal Wall Connector when it was announced. We installed it today and the charging works excellent with any Tesla I plug in but it does not do anything with the Rivian. When using the integrated adapter, there is no audible click nor any change in lights on either the charger or the truck. To confirm it wasn't an issue with the truck, we pulled out the Tesla connector and attached a third party adapter we've been using and the charging started right away.

Did I get a defective unit, or is this some sort of handshake failing in the software? Software is up to date on the charger.

I love having the thinner cord vs our very old wall connector but I was most looking forward to using the "magic dock" style charger to rid the garage of any adapters. Has anybody else had success charging a non-Tesla with their new wall connector?

We have a Rivian in the family and ordered the new Universal Wall Connector when it was announced. We installed it today and the charging works excellent with any Tesla I plug in but it does not do anything with the Rivian. When using the integrated adapter, there is no audible click nor any change in lights on either the charger or the truck. To confirm it wasn't an issue with the truck, we pulled out the Tesla connector and attached a third party adapter we've been using and the charging started right away.

Did I get a defective unit, or is this some sort of handshake failing in the software? Software is up to date on the charger.

I love having the thinner cord vs our very old wall connector but I was most looking forward to using the "magic dock" style charger to rid the garage of any adapters. Has anybody else had success charging a non-Tesla with their new wall connector?

If you don't remember you specifically selected "All vehicles," it's time to re-do the commissioning,

access-control-only-tesla-app.png

To confirm it wasn't an issue with the truck, we pulled out the Tesla connector and attached a third party adapter we've been using and the charging started right away.
It sounds like you may have a defective universal adapter. (Unless you have it set to Tesla only like @Tam mentioned, and the third-party adapter does something to make your Rivian look like a Tesla.)

hmm tracking this one as I have a universal wall connector coming next week to charge my iX. There are traditional Tesla wall connectors and J1772 versions available locally at Best Buy but was waiting for this new combo unit.

To confirm, you were able to successfully charge the Rivian using the Universal Wall Connector by using the Tesla connector with a third part adapter, but cannot charge by using the Wall Connector with it's built-in adapter.

If so, then it would appear that the built-in adapter is faulty and you should persue a warranty replacement. Commissioning should not be an issue here.

To confirm, you were able to successfully charge the Rivian using the Universal Wall Connector by using the Tesla connector with a third part adapter, but cannot charge by using the Wall Connector with it's built-in adapter.

If so, then it would appear that the built-in adapter is faulty and you should persue a warranty replacement. Commissioning should not be an issue here.
The adapter is completely passive, ya? Hard to imagine how it could be defective.

Good news, I got it working. The bad news is I'm not sure how. I have what I did below.

One important note is I installed the charger myself with my dad. It was an easy hardware swap from the old wall connector but I hadn't used the Tesla Pro app to install this new one, just the standard Tesla app. Perhaps these problems wouldn't exist if I had properly used the Tesla Pro app.

Here's what I did that may have fixed the problem:
  1. After issues connecting tonight, I shutoff the charger from the circuit breaker for 10 seconds and began again. Maybe it needs a reboot.
  2. I tried connecting to the Tesla Pro app but had trouble connecting. So I switched the charger a 2nd network we have here at home. Both are 2.4 but the second network is Starlink and technically closer to the Garage. I did this switch in the standard Tesla app which has network controls.
  3. Once I got into the Tesla Pro app, I took the advice of @Tam and found the Access Controls setting. This involved setting this charger up in the Tesla Pro app. Perhaps that was my problem all along, an incomplete setup. When checking the Access Controls however, it was already set to All Vehicles. I tapped "All Vehicles" anyway and hit save.
  4. The Tesla Pro app was asking what amps the circuit had. Completing this 5 second form made a yellow alert in the Tesla Pro app disappear.

I then plug in at this point using the built in adapter and it worked! The light goes blue, a few seconds pass, and I hear the electrical parts click. The Rivian displayed charging speeds of 20mph. This really is a dream charger when you have more than just a Tesla to plug in.

@rstx, I think you'll love this connector as much as I do and hope your install is smoother than my experience. I hope anybody else having issues can find the solution I have with the above steps.

To those who left comments in here trying to help me so quickly on such a new product, thank you.

Good news, I got it working. The bad news is I'm not sure how. I have what I did below.

One important note is I installed the charger myself with my dad. It was an easy hardware swap from the old wall connector but I hadn't used the Tesla Pro app to install this new one, just the standard Tesla app. Perhaps these problems wouldn't exist if I had properly used the Tesla Pro app.

Here's what I did that may have fixed the problem:
  1. After issues connecting tonight, I shutoff the charger from the circuit breaker for 10 seconds and began again. Maybe it needs a reboot.
  2. I tried connecting to the Tesla Pro app but had trouble connecting. So I switched the charger a 2nd network we have here at home. Both are 2.4 but the second network is Starlink and technically closer to the Garage. I did this switch in the standard Tesla app which has network controls.
  3. Once I got into the Tesla Pro app, I took the advice of @Tam and found the Access Controls setting. This involved setting this charger up in the Tesla Pro app. Perhaps that was my problem all along, an incomplete setup. When checking the Access Controls however, it was already set to All Vehicles. I tapped "All Vehicles" anyway and hit save.
  4. The Tesla Pro app was asking what amps the circuit had. Completing this 5 second form made a yellow alert in the Tesla Pro app disappear.

I then plug in at this point using the built in adapter and it worked! The light goes blue, a few seconds pass, and I hear the electrical parts click. The Rivian displayed charging speeds of 20mph. This really is a dream charger when you have more than just a Tesla to plug in.

@rstx, I think you'll love this connector as much as I do and hope your install is smoother than my experience. I hope anybody else having issues can find the solution I have with the above steps.

To those who left comments in here trying to help me so quickly on such a new product, thank you.
Congratulations!

Reactions: asimo3089
I'm having this same issue with my Leaf. I tried connecting to unit with the Pro app. It's set to all vehicles. Set to all vehicles again.

Saw that there was a system update for it.

Updated it.

Saw that there was a new compatibility mode option but it doesn't even work with that. :(

I'm having this same issue with my Leaf. I tried connecting to unit with the Pro app. It's set to all vehicles. Set to all vehicles again.

Saw that there was a system update for it.

Updated it.

Saw that there was a new compatibility mode option but it doesn't even work with that. :(
Huh. My friend brought his Chevy Spark over and it instantly started charging on his.

Then I tried my Leaf and of course now it's charging. Go figure.

The real test is if it works again in a couple of days. It worked once before and then stopped working.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Installed a Universal Wall Connector yesterday, having similar issues. It won't even acknowledge it is plugged into a vehicle. Tried my Pacifica plugin hybrid, and my neighbour's Nissan Leaf. Going to ask another neighbour with a model Y to come by and try that. I'm wondering if the adaptor is bad, or possible handshake issues for the J1772 protocol?

I did manage to get it to charge once... I set the power to the lowest setting, plugged it in. It would start charging, and I could set the power higher while charging with successful max power. Once I unplugged and plugged in again, no dice :(

If it works just fine with my neighbour's model Y, I think I will have to contact Tesla for help. Hopefully just a firmware problem!

Reactions: cdub