Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2024 Audi RS Etron Gt and cannot get the Universal wall connector to work. The first unit worked only a single time (the first time I used it 20% to 100% charge), but after that, it never worked again.
Called Tesla and a firmware update was sent to my unit, but that never got it to charge my vehicle.
They advised the unit was faulty and their replacement connector was installed yesterday (03/21/24). I called and the newest HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679) firmware was downloaded.
Still not charging........

I unplugged and plugged it back in multiple times, but nothing. Turned the breaker off (waited over 10 mins the last time) and back on to reset the charger and still nothing.

Reached out to customer care and now waiting for the next step(s)...

Quite silly and a bit annoying that these "Universal Wall Connectors" do not update themselves with this HEAD firmware and that one has to call in. After lots of $$ and time spent on getting this Tesla charger installed, it cannot and has not been able to charge a 2024 Audi.

While I have a CT on order, this is the main reason I went with the Universal charger. If not for that, I may have gone with a different manufacturer altogether re the wall charger.
I may pick up an aftermarket J1772 adapter to see if that gets it to work. Seems like it has worked for others that have the same charging issue (non Tesla vehicles).
We shall see......
Did you leave it plugged in and see if it falls over to J1772? That's how the Tesla ones work (after failed tries it falls over to J1772). That doesn't work on some cars though depending on how the timeout is configured on the car side.

Did you leave it plugged in and see if it falls over to J1772? That's how the Tesla ones work (after failed tries it falls over to J1772). That doesn't work on some cars though depending on how the timeout is configured on the car side.
Same for me. There was a significant lag, upward of 30 seconds if I recall, before the Tesla UWC started to work with my 2019 e-Golf. I find it surprising (and a bit disturbing) that these issues remain.

I have a 2024 Audi RS Etron Gt and cannot get the Universal wall connector to work. The first unit worked only a single time (the first time I used it 20% to 100% charge), but after that, it never worked again.
Called Tesla and a firmware update was sent to my unit, but that never got it to charge my vehicle.
They advised the unit was faulty and their replacement connector was installed yesterday (03/21/24). I called and the newest HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679) firmware was downloaded.
Still not charging........

I unplugged and plugged it back in multiple times, but nothing. Turned the breaker off (waited over 10 mins the last time) and back on to reset the charger and still nothing.

Reached out to customer care and now waiting for the next step(s)...

Quite silly and a bit annoying that these "Universal Wall Connectors" do not update themselves with this HEAD firmware and that one has to call in. After lots of $$ and time spent on getting this Tesla charger installed, it cannot and has not been able to charge a 2024 Audi.

While I have a CT on order, this is the main reason I went with the Universal charger. If not for that, I may have gone with a different manufacturer altogether re the wall charger.
I may pick up an aftermarket J1772 adapter to see if that gets it to work. Seems like it has worked for others that have the same charging issue (non Tesla vehicles).
We shall see......

What is your Access Control set to? It should at least be set to "All Vehicles", but some cars require "Compatibility Mode". My wife's Chevy Volt had some minor issues with "All Vehicles". (Wasn't doing delayed charging correctly.) So I now have it set to "Compatibility Mode" and it seems to work ok.

Update*

I picked up a J1772 adaptor (Tesla Tap Mini 80amp - USA built) and nothing. Still not able to charge my 2024 Audi RS Etron GT with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. I did make an app at the dealership next week in hopes they have a software update that may work with the Tesla charger.

If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll be getting another charger from a different manufacture.

What is your Access Control set to? It should at least be set to "All Vehicles", but some cars require "Compatibility Mode". My wife's Chevy Volt had some minor issues with "All Vehicles". (Wasn't doing delayed charging correctly.) So I now have it set to "Compatibility Mode" and it seems to work ok.
Originally it was set to "All Vehicles". After that didn't work, the Tesla rep had me switch it to "Compatability Mode" which also did not work.

Took my car to a local Audi dealership this morning in hopes they had a software update that would work with the TUWC, but nothing.

My next thought is to try my Tap Mini 80 J1772 adaptor with a regular Tesla home Charger to see if that works with my car. I got this idea from a Youtuber who owns an Etron Gt and that seems to work fine with his car.
Hopefully, I can find someone local that will let me try it out.

Took my car to a local Audi dealership this morning in hopes they had a software update that would work with the TUWC, but nothing.

My next thought is to try my Tap Mini 80 J1772 adaptor with a regular Tesla home Charger to see if that works with my car. I got this idea from a Youtuber who owns an Etron Gt and that seems to work fine with his car.
Have you tried your Tap Mini with the TUWC set on the 'Only Tesla' option?

Update*

I picked up a J1772 adaptor (Tesla Tap Mini 80amp - USA built) and nothing. Still not able to charge my 2024 Audi RS Etron GT with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector. I did make an app at the dealership next week in hopes they have a software update that may work with the Tesla charger.

If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll be getting another charger from a different manufacture.
Hmm. If the adapter isn’t working either, I wonder if it’s a problem with the actual power to source? I remember other folks saying the connector worked with the adapter (just not the built in J1772 on the connector) so if yours isn’t working even with the adapter, there might not be power flowing/something wrong from “box to unit”.

Obviously this is a moot point if the unit is delivering power, just trying to throw ideas out there.

Have you tried the connect….wait 7 seconds….remove and reconnect? I have to do this for my Ioniq but it works