Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New "Universal Wall Connector" doesn't charge the Rivian.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect they are doing this because with a Powerwall+Wall Connector your Cybertruck can be an add-on battery for your home, no extra equipment needed
Huh, whoa, that's interesting. I'm still watching a livestream from here on TMC of the Cybertruck event, and they are going over the new updates on the site and hadn't come across that yet. Nice to see that available, but tough that it requires the batteries.

Huh, whoa, that's interesting. I'm still watching a livestream from here on TMC of the Cybertruck event, and they are going over the new updates on the site and hadn't come across that yet. Nice to see that available, but tough that it requires the batteries.
You can install a Gateway/Backup switch without a Powerwall to power your home. So it doesn't require batteries/a Powerwall.

I wonder if it is only compatible with the Universal Wall Connector. (Mentioned in one spot, not in another.)

Last edited:
You can install a Gateway/Backup switch without a Powerwall to power your home. So it doesn't require batteries/a Powerwall.

I wonder if it is only compatible with the Universal Wall Connector. (Mentioned in once spot, not in another.)
If that's true, that's better than Ford's solution, which requires an additional inverter, although it depends entirely on how much the Gateway/Backup Switch costs.

I wonder if it is only compatible with the Universal Wall Connector. (Mentioned in one spot, not in another.)I
I wonder how this will work though. The NACS connector doesn't have a neutral connector, so how can it power a house with 120 volt circuits. And the Tesla Gateway doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have a neutral forming transformer either (like the Enphase or SolarEdge equivalent). The Tesla Powerwall does have a neutral connection.

Reactions: brkaus
I wonder how this will work though. The NACS connector doesn't have a neutral connector, so how can it power a house with 120 volt circuits. And the Tesla Gateway doesn't, to the best of my knowledge, have a neutral forming transformer either (like the Enphase or SolarEdge equivalent). The Tesla Powerwall does have a neutral connection.
Looks like from the specs it can only supply 240V loads (says 240V AC) when used as Home Backup (without a Powerwall), also has a LRA reference which implies usage for loads like ACs. Basically the same as most solar inverters with no autotransformer (my Fronius one does not have an autotransformer) and relies on the utility transformer for the neutral reference for 120V loads:

Screen_Shot_2023_11_30_at_4.27.56_PM.png

Tesla Cybertruck will usher in a new “Powershare” vehicle-to-load charging feature

Maybe Tesla will eventually offer a separate Autotransformer like Victron does?
https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-Autotransformer-120-240VAC-32A/dp/B01MXI87GZ

Or perhaps they expect you to get a Powerwall to handle 120V loads (since the Powerwall can provide the neutral reference when disconnected from the grid)?

It does have 4 120V outlets however (2 in cabin, 2 in cargo bed), so you can always run cords to run essential loads:
https://www.tesla.com/powershare

Interesting it also mentions a "Powershare Mobile Connector" that can also supply 120V loads with the right adapter. Maybe there will be a 120V output mode also or one with the neutral connected?

Last edited:
Then why can users bypass the adapter in the TUWC with an external 3rd party J3400->J1772 adapter and not have the issue?
Because the UWC would not release the adaptor without you pressing the button while the unit is powered. At that point the charger would release the adaptor but stop sending the control pilot signal (pre update). Using a 3rd party adaptor means just removing the NACS plug, which didn’t trigger the loss of the control pilot signal.

I purchased a UWC about two weeks ago and still have no shipping notice. Seeing all the issues people are having with these, I'm wondering if I should cancel? My thought was to get "the best" from Tesla but it doesn't appear to be the case. I have a Grizzle-e for about 1.5 years but it frequently throws a fault code and has to be reset by either unplugging it from the wall or resetting the breaker. I want the charger pushing 10kW for hours on end, often overnight while we sleep, that is in my garage and under a bedroom to be *flawless* with zero risk. The UWC doesn't seem to fit the bill either.

Since my UWC was updated to the HEAD (3CAE3FBA856679) firmware, it has worked flawlessly, charging my wife's Rivian. Shared charging on the same circuit with a Tesla-only Gen 3 wall charger has also worked fine, splitting the available amperage between the two vehicles when charging simultaneously. If Tesla can work out their firmware, the UWC should be a great option. All of us beta testing for Tesla is getting old, though.

I purchased a UWC about two weeks ago and still have no shipping notice. Seeing all the issues people are having with these, I'm wondering if I should cancel? My thought was to get "the best" from Tesla but it doesn't appear to be the case. I have a Grizzle-e for about 1.5 years but it frequently throws a fault code and has to be reset by either unplugging it from the wall or resetting the breaker. I want the charger pushing 10kW for hours on end, often overnight while we sleep, that is in my garage and under a bedroom to be *flawless* with zero risk. The UWC doesn't seem to fit the bill either.
fwiw, my TUWC has charged my iX with no issues since I installed it a few months ago.

Reactions: TesslaBull
Drew Baglino from Tesla clarified this...

DrewBaglinoPowerShare.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: wws and stopcrazypp
An update: Tesla pushed new firmware, 23.24.4-11ab530, to my TUWC. With it I needed to re-commission the unit, go to the Access Controls page and select a new option "Compatibility Mode" (before, the only non-Tesla option was "All Vehicles," which remains an option on the new page). Upon selecting the "Compatibility Mode," there is a warning that not all functions may be available under this option, though there is no explanation of what these may be.

Once set up this way, it appears now that everything is working for my VW e-Golf. I noticed a change immediately upon plugging in, with the usual indications by the e-Golf charge port LEDS that communication was occurring (this did not happen before with other firmware versions for the TUWC). It appears as if I can now charge immediately as well as via timed events, including both the Scheduled Charging set in the Tesla app and as set by departure times in the e-Golf's e-manager.

I will report back if there are any remaining issues, but hopefully my problems are solved!

An update: Tesla pushed new firmware, 23.24.4-11ab530, to my TUWC. With it I needed to re-commission the unit, go to the Access Controls page and select a new option "Compatibility Mode" (before, the only non-Tesla option was "All Vehicles," which remains an option on the new page). Upon selecting the "Compatibility Mode," there is a warning that not all functions may be available under this option, though there is no explanation of what these may be.

Once set up this way, it appears now that everything is working for my VW e-Golf. I noticed a change immediately upon plugging in, with the usual indications by the e-Golf charge port LEDS that communication was occurring (this did not happen before with other firmware versions for the TUWC). It appears as if I can now charge immediately as well as via timed events, including both the Scheduled Charging set in the Tesla app and as set by departure times in the e-Golf's e-manager.

I will report back if there are any remaining issues, but hopefully my problems are solved!
Looks like they introduced a pure J1772 mode that makes it closer to the previous J1772 version of the wall connector. Hopefully this resolves the issues for all the J1772 cars.

Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H
It makes more sense why there have been issues with the Tesla Universal Wall Connector now that we know that the Universal Wall Connector is required to enable Power Share home backup.

Compatibility Mode probably disables the Power Share home backup capability, which really isn't an issue for now since Cybertrucks are relatively rare at the moment.

I just got and had installed two brand new UWC. Both same setup, both in compatibility mode (and on latest 23.24.4 firmware). Exact same setups, except that one is lead, other is follower for power sharing.

One immediately (and regularly) charges the Rivian. The other, nothing. Turned off power sharing just in case but that isn’t the issue. Both charge my S without issue. So odd.

Chat with support and they are going to DOWNGRADE the firmware on the one that doesn’t work “as it will likely resolve the issue”. Wonder if this puts me on the HEAD version that made it work for folks in this thread. Odd that they’d downgrade one when the other is working fine on the same firmware.

Oh well - as long as they get it working I guess I don’t care. Hope it’s a firmware issue and not a hardware one.

We have a Rivian in the family and ordered the new Universal Wall Connector when it was announced. We installed it today and the charging works excellent with any Tesla I plug in but it does not do anything with the Rivian. When using the integrated adapter, there is no audible click nor any change in lights on either the charger or the truck. To confirm it wasn't an issue with the truck, we pulled out the Tesla connector and attached a third party adapter we've been using and the charging started right away.

Did I get a defective unit, or is this some sort of handshake failing in the software? Software is up to date on the charger.

I love having the thinner cord vs our very old wall connector but I was most looking forward to using the "magic dock" style charger to rid the garage of any adapters. Has anybody else had success charging a non-Tesla with their new wall connector?
I had the same issue with a BMW X5 with
I had the same issue with a BMW X5 with
I received on 12/8/2023. However, yesterday 12/18/2023, I contacted Tesla support via the CHAT feature provided on their tesla.com website. And Tesla support remotely pushed a firmware upgrade, I know the Universal Wall Connector is working fine!
I received on 12/8/2023. However, yesterday 12/18/2023, I contacted Tesla support via the CHAT feature provided on their tesla.com website. And Tesla support remotely pushed a firmware upgrade, I know the Universal Wall Connector is working fine!
We have a Rivian in the family and ordered the new Universal Wall Connector when it was announced. We installed it today and the charging works excellent with any Tesla I plug in but it does not do anything with the Rivian. When using the integrated adapter, there is no audible click nor any change in lights on either the charger or the truck. To confirm it wasn't an issue with the truck, we pulled out the Tesla connector and attached a third party adapter we've been using and the charging started right away.

Did I get a defective unit, or is this some sort of handshake failing in the software? Software is up to date on the charger.

I love having the thinner cord vs our very old wall connector but I was most looking forward to using the "magic dock" style charger to rid the garage of any adapters. Has anybody else had success charging a non-Tesla with their new wall connector?
I had the same issue charging a BMW X5 with a Universal Wall Connector I received on 12/8/2023. However, on 12/18/2023 I contacted Tesla support via CHAT on the tesla.com website. And Tesla support remotely pushed a firmware upgrade, I know the Universal Wall Connector is working fine!