Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Tesla Wall Connector to charge a 2017 Leaf with J1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector and I bought a NACS to J1772 adapter, initially I couldn't get it to work. I'd plug it in and the Wall Connector would light up a small section in the middle of the LED bar in RED.

To make a long story short, I did get it to work:
  1. Turn ON the car, if it's OFF the car will try to charge immediately and the Wall Connector RED LED section will come on and no current will flow.
  2. Be sure to have the NACS to J1772 adapter attached to the cable
  3. Plug in the cable + adapter into the port, the Wall Connector will stay Green positioned at the top not current will be flowing
  4. Enter the car and turn the car OFF
  5. The car starts charging and the Wall Connector Green starts moving from top to bottom and current will be flowing
I'd sure like to know why I have to jump through these hoops, but I thought if someone else has a similar problem this might resolve it..

-- Wink

Reactions: bruce4000
I have never heard of turning the car on and off before. However, it is common to need to plug the NACS adapter into the Wall Connector cable first, wait like 30 seconds, then plug it into the car. It also depends on which NACS adapter you're using. Some work better than others.

I'd read that you needed wait and had the connector on from seconds, minutes to hours didn't help :(

I bought two different cheap adapters from Amazon:

Maybe it's because I have a gen 2 WC "signed" by Elon :) But they both do work if with the ON first then OFF trick. From what I read the WC tries to talk with the car using the Tesla WC protocol and if that fails after 30 secs it switches to J1772 protocol. So my guess is we with the car ON it ignores the WC and then during the time it takes to walk to the front of the car plug in the cable + adapter and then walk back and turn the car OFF only then does the car acknowledge the WC and by then the WC has switched to J1772 mode, so it then does "works". Obviously just a guess on my part.

Anyway, @brkaus, @miimura, what behavior do you get if you don't wait "long enough", do you see a portion of the LED bar on the WC turn red?

I'd read that you needed wait and had the connector on from seconds, minutes to hours didn't help :(

I bought two different cheap adapters from Amazon:

Maybe it's because I have a gen 2 WC "signed" by Elon :) But they both do work if with the ON first then OFF trick. From what I read the WC tries to talk with the car using the Tesla WC protocol and if that fails after 30 secs it switches to J1772 protocol. So my guess is we with the car ON it ignores the WC and then during the time it takes to walk to the front of the car plug in the cable + adapter and then walk back and turn the car OFF only then does the car acknowledge the WC and by then the WC has switched to J1772 mode, so it then does "works". Obviously just a guess on my part.

Anyway, @brkaus, @miimura, what behavior do you get if you don't wait "long enough", do you see a portion of the LED bar on the WC turn red?
I don't actually have one, but did you check the DIP switches inside. I thought the older ones, at least in Europe, had a compatibility mode switch that may or may not have been documented. You could try that and see if it helps your situation.

Reactions: Rocky_H